1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Hot end Clog

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cbrown, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

I accidentally broke a piece of filament off in the hot en, how can I get it out?

2. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Release the tension screws on the Hobbed bolt and heat up the hot end and use a pair of tweezers to get it out. If the filament is passed that point then you need to release the hot end entirely. Are you using a R1 plus or an earlier model?

3. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

The filament is past the knurled feed into the barrel. I have a R1+ plus

4. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Cbrown likes this.
  5. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Thank you! I let you know how it goes!

6. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Is there anyway to take the hotend apart any farther, the filament broke inside the barrel. I can't add pictures, too new.

7. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

I've had this issue before and had to contact support. Here is a few options they gave me

You can heat it up and turn it upside down while it’s hot to let the plastic ooze out slowly. You will be able to grab it once it starts coming out and will be able to pull all of it out with the tweezers.

- You can also try using a long sewing needle or 1.5mm alan wrench. Heat up the tip of the tool, then feed it down in, let it cool, then pull it back out. You are attempting to fish out any bad plastic.

- Another way to clear the hot end would be to use a small guitar string or wire bristle and feed it up through the nozzle while it’s heated up to clear any obstruction.

- Then, while the extruder is at 200 C, with a fresh piece of filament other than the sample PLA that came with your printer (this plastic is very susceptible to humidity and weather conditions and is not intended to be used long term) Feed it down into the extruder as far as it will go. Now let the extruder cool to 165 C then pull it out while attempting to pull any remaining bits of burnt or bad plastic clogged in there.

- You might need to take the hotend apart carefully so not to bend or break the small tube that separates the two sections. You can use a 2.5mm Allen wrench/hex key to loosen the screws holding the hot end in.

Here’s a video that helps you to see how the extruder is put together.

Cbrown likes this.
  8. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

I am assuming the filament mushroomed in the barrel because it slides around inside but wont come out. The brass nozzle can come off? Is the nozzle threaded clockwise or counter-clockwise?

9. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

What I ended up doing was heating the nozzle up then taking a small wire and feeding it inside the brass nozzle then running it up and down the inside of the nozzle. Then I took a piece of filament and pushed the stuck filament out the brass nozzle.

10. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Thank you for your help @Hp0106

11. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

I'm glad I could help. Happy printing!

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The brass nozzle can be removed (and replaced). That is the easiest way to completely clear it.

13. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Does it unscrew clockwise or counter-clockwise? Would you recommend a specific replacement brand over another, I was looking at Proto-Pasta's replacement nozzle.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

These are normal thread engagement.