1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Alternative to the Lead Screw Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

i purchased the microswitches, and i've just installed the new threaded rods, now i see where the microswitch goes, but do i put them on both sides, and do i need to remove the micro switch that was used to stop the nozzle from going to far down

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I never had one of those, maybe the old timers here know what you are asking about. Auto-level requires switches on both sides, wired to the N.O. and Common, wired in parallel.

3. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

this is a picture of what i am talking about, but my printer is fairly old. IMG_0540.JPG

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

With this upgrade, that screw and switch are not used and should be removed. I believe there is a thread on the Autolevel upgrade on this forum.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, you can move the original microswitch to become one of the new Z axis switches (up on the crossbar) and add one new one in parallel with the original. They both still land on the same Z Endstop connection on the RAMPS. Really an easy change :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just print the new mounting brackets and get new Z nuts.
    The original Z nuts were small (maybe 1/4") and the new ones are almost an inch long (7/8).

If you have 5/16 rods these are what you need:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90264A445

(the original Beta had 5/16 rods)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson How are the Z nuts you linked used in this context. He is doing two upgrades at once, the Auto-level as well as moving to TR8 lead screws. So I am not following your thoughts on this. I would think you need to combine the two separate processes, remove redundant parts and then look at this as a single upgrade.

8. lichaem69

lichaem69 Member

I have replaced the original z-rods with the ones linked from banggood. I have installed them with the new couplers, and the 3d printed part where the new microswitch will connect like it shows in the picture from page 1. At this point i'm curious how the microswitches work at the new location, the old one was obvious with the screw hitting it, but in the new location does the switch get hit when nozzle pushes against the bed or? Things work better for me when I have somewhat of an understanding of how something works

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No, the switches should be depressed (engaged) all the while it is under the X Axis Idler arms, if it isn't then sand/file down the sides of the hex portion or reprint them with a scaling factor of less than 1.00 (under 100%). The only time the switches are not engaged is when the nozzle hits the bed during auto-leveling.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you already replaced the Z rods with the Banggood ones then you are fine since those came with 7/8" nuts.

@WheresWaldo the original nuts were too small for the Z axis switches to mount on and to recess into the crossbar.
    The ones they switched to on the R1 are the 7/8" -- not 1/4" tall.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@lichaem69 the Z axis logic is reversed with the new switches. Before the single switch getting pressed was the Z home signal. Now one of the two NOT being pressed is a Z home signal.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well since this is a thread about the Z Axis upgrade to lead screws then the nuts are irrelevant, since the picture provided already shows the lead screws in place. They also show that @lichaem69 has already printed the parts needed, so it seems to be all about the switch location and how to wire them.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, yes, because all of our threads are kept so close to topic :) and are thoroughly read

14. Nathan Bertsch

Nathan Bertsch New Member

Could a person buy extended screws to extend the build volume further. On ebay I have found up to 500mm length lead screws and I was wondering if anyone has tried this or if that's a bad idea?

15. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yes you can, but you are limited to the ability to raise the x-axis and all that goes with it up far enough and still fit inside the cover. Others that have done this have printed extensions to make the cover taller. You will also need new smooth rods for the z in order to reach to the new height if you go down this path.

@lichaem69, you will need to make sure you do the necessary firmware adjustments to accommodate the auto leveling and the new z screws.

16. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

I'm doint this TODAY. I could not get the solid couples so i'm using the TR2 lead screw with the flexible couplers that came with my ROBO R1. I can use the same firmware modification that's in this thread or something is different?

Would be better to use ROBO official firmware upgrade for lead screw ?

17. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Couplers won't make a difference to firmware. The type of screws will. The official upgrade uses TR8*4 screws. If you got those, then you should be OK with the Robo firmware. If you got the TR8*8 screws then the steps are different.

Why couldn't you get solid couplers? Amazon has them in stock.

18. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Because im from Argentina, i wanted to take advantage of my parents trip to Europe and they brought me these:

12910460_710724795696705_943583183_n.jpg

Couplers wont work, the "Lead screw side" of them is "threatened" for a mainstream M8 screws.

So, flexible couplers will work i think.. i only have to remove original ROBO screws and put new ones? Thats all? Not touching motors, not removing couplers....

I bought these: http://impresoras3dlowcost.com/190-husillo-t8-300mm.html

19. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

It says "PITCH = 1MM"

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member