1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printathing.com

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hp0106, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Hey guys,
    Has anybody become a supplier on www.printathing.com
    I'm considering becoming a supplier and I was wondering if you make any profit and how the shipping works.
    Thanks.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Seems to be a business similar to 3DHubs, ask @Mike Kelly about them as I believe he was one of their printers while in CO. Don't know if he still is now that he has moved east.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

3D Hubs is really the leader in this sort of thing. I put my hub in vacation mode quite a while ago because I didn't like some of the logistics of how they operated, but I think a lot of people are getting a nice subsidy of their hobby doing it. I preferred makexyz, but they've shifted their model as well so I usually just do my own thing now.

People I know who are making a living doing 3D Printing have come up with their own ideas of things to sell and sell those rather than trying to compete in the print as a service market.

If you're doing print as a service, having design skills and soliciting customers locally so that you can offer a full package of design and print is a good way to go. Design things that are relevant to certain types of customers, bring in samples to their business, and leave a card. For example, print up some cool vases and drop them off to florists or print up a quadcopter and bring it in to your local hobby shop.

4. Captain Canardly

Captain Canardly New Member

I finally got my account disabled by this guy. on a great day, if you get a PERFECT 1st run priny, you get paid by the Cubic Centimeter, which at best, came to 1 US Dollar per hour. He claims 15$ setup for the machine, I saw ZERO . Payment usually 3 weeks out

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

which guy?

6. Captain Canardly

Captain Canardly New Member

Andy, the owner of PoThing! I have a bunch of You Tubes of the frustrations there- took me a whole roll of filament to get approved as a supplier!

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, most of the printing services (I have tested PrintAThing among others) is a money maker for the service provider... not you the printer :) I mean if the choice is have your printer work a bit when you are not using it or sit idle... maybe it is worth the investment, but most I have seen are too much work for the money :)