1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. RotusZ

RotusZ New Member

So I got a notice that E3D has released the Titan Extruder. Has anyone else seen it? Do you think it would be a good upgrade to get?

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I got a beta to test, but have been too busy with working on opening up the store.
    A few forum members purchased most of my stock and I expect to see them posting reviews soon. I think I have 2 on hand if you want to jump in on this batch. Should have more in stock by the end of the week though.
    @danzca6 @daniel871 @TstarkEngineering

3. RotusZ

RotusZ New Member

I am thinking about it. Though the one thing that worries me I suppose is being able to install it properly. I saw on the E3D site that they have a mounting bracket but not sure how it would work for the Robo 3D. I have the R1+ model and most items I have found have been for the R1 in the threads. I know there aren't many differences but I have seen a few here and there.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yup. That's one of the things that the early testers will be checking out.
    The carriage itself is the same on R1, beta, and +. So, you would basically toss everything mounted onto the carriage, print a new bracket, and mount the extruder, motor, and hot end onto the existing carriage.

5. RotusZ

RotusZ New Member

I wouldn't mind trying it out and testing it. Hard part is having the time to do it as well lol. Well that and figuring out a bracket that would work for it.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I also think from reviewing the diagrams, that this will mount the hotend slightly higher in the carriage, so you may need to reprint the parts fan holders for the Robo.

Joshua from E3D published the bracket on Thingiverse late last night, it is located here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1477900
    He promises an OpenSCAD file later, STL is all that's there. Just an FYI the hole spacing is 54 mm c-t-c which appears odd since the Greg's Wade standardized on 50 mm c-t-c for it's mounting holes. I believe their bracket is more for mounting on something like 2020 aluminum extrusion rather than a specific style of printer.

E3D's current mounting bracket won't work without significant rework in the Robo. It will likely be better to redesign it completely. Basically it is just an L bracket/spacer that is sandwiched between the extruder and the stepper motor.

#6 WheresWaldo, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Chris Borden likes this.
  7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well I woke up to snow on the ground. So this will be like Christmas to get a couple new toys. Stock, the Titan won't work with the hex hotend. So I'll get a v6 to complete the package. I think a redesign of the case might let you use the hex, but I will know more once I get it. Designing a new carriage mount will be the most fun. Super excited to see how this thing works.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If anyone want to play with the bracket, I took a few minutes this morning to convert their low resolution STL and transform it into a STEP file. It is a very simple design and couple be easily recreated in the CAD program of your choice. Just unrar it, or unzip it if you still live in the 20th century.

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No ARC format?

:)

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

[​IMG]
    PKARC.exe does not run in 64-bit versions of Windows.

#10 WheresWaldo, Apr 9, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. danzca6

I like that you tried. Haha

I see on the E3D sale page that they have extras listed for the Titan and the stepper motor they have is a 40Ncm (56oz-in) Nema 17. So maybe that is the minimum safe spec they are going with on the Titan? Would be nice to go about half that at least.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It took more than a few minutes to even find PKARC to try it. Of course PKWare moved away from PKARC after they were sued by SEA. They do some sort of encryption software now.

56 oz/in would make the stepper about 40 mm deep, pretty much the default stepper on the Robo. If it could go 18 oz/in we could go with a 20 mm deep, 25 oz/in and we would be at about 25 mm deep. either one would be a better fit for the Robo carriage configuration. Would love to be able to use this or even smaller.
    [​IMG]

13. danzca6

I've been looking for the outer dimensions of the Titan. Has anyone seen that yet? I have two designs on paper that might work for a mount. One requires we can go with a smaller torque motor. The other is using the stock motor. May need to install the hotend cooling fan shroud upside down from what is on this drawing as well for clearance as suggested by the comment on the drawing. Still doodling ideas. Hopefully I can get the Titan in hand this week to get a true rendering going.

Update: Looks like the fins are only 22.3 mm on the v6. So the 26 mm stock carriage hole should be fine. I would really like to make a modified case that works with the stock hex. I will see if that is possible when I get the parts.

V6-175_1000px-1000x1000.png

#13 danzca6, Apr 9, 2016
  14. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

A writeup/guide/parts are already complete for the Robo3D, E3D is in the process of reformatting it for their wiki. Just didn't want folks to spend time reinventing the wheel.

Tom Finzel and mark tomlinson like this.
  15. danzca6

That's great. Who put together the design?

16. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

No, you can use lower torque NEMA17s.

BigBox uses a 42BYGHM809 for the non-geared extruder, which has a holding torque of 48 Ncm and a mass of 360 grams.

By contrast, this:

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...or-35v-1a-13ncm184ozin-17hs081004s-p-101.html

NEMA 17 short stack has a torque of 13Ncm and a mass of 130 grams, but the torque multiplied by 3, thanks to the Titan - so 39Ncm, quite close to stock.

Or there’s this:

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...r-29v-07a-18ncm255ozin-17hs100704s-p-260.html

option, which has a torque of 13Nm and a mass of 180 grams. After the Titan, that’s 54Ncm, so more than stock.

Technically gears have torque losses, with spur gears you’re looking at about 98% efficiency though so the above numbers are pretty accurate. I would probably go with the second option, but either one will be a noticeable reduction in mass.

17. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

I'm not sure, I just see it marked as completed on the super secret beta tester Google doc.

18. danzca6

That is FANTASTIC! Thanks for that information.

19. danzca6

@elmoret, do you know what the outer dimensions are for the Titan? About 30-32mm in depth?

#19 danzca6, Apr 9, 2016
  20. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

46.3mm wide, 25.2mm deep, 43.8mm tall not counting the protrusion for the tensioning spring or the idler arm.