1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am hoping that whatever design they have come up with for the Robo has the motor inline front to back. Because if they go out the side it would protrude further than the Greg's Wade gear in the current setup (unless you also replace the motor). Second, it should also have the motor toward the rear to facilitate filament loading. Third, since it will sit several mm higher in the carriage there will need to be a model for the parts fan. It wouldn't surprise me if @Mike Kelly and/or @Marquis Johnson didn't have some part in the guide for the Robo.

Marcus T likes this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Thank you. 25mm deep is even better. Man this is going to reduce the amount of stuff on the x carriage a lot.

3. danzca6

I don't think Marquis had much to do with it. Unless they do a guide on Bowden duals since that seems to be what he was focused on with it. My money is on Mike. He has had one for over a month or so now and using it. Wasn't 100% sure if on the Robo, but I'm probably.

4. danzca6

Using the stock motor and stock carriage, I would think the only option would be to have the back of the extruder motor facing the front of the printer. If the Titan is 25.2 mm deep and the motor is 40 mm and add another 2.5 mm spacer (spacer must be at least 2mm thick) for the bracket between the two, that means the whole thing would be 55.1 mm off the center of the carriage plate (given that you would have the center of the Titan lined up with the center of the carriage). The carriage is 48 mm x 108 mm. The belt tension connector on the back is 16 mm deep. That only gives you 38 mm from the center of the carriage. If you had the 17HS08-1004S (~$9 - s/h), and the torque rating would be enough, then it would work since it is only 20 mm deep. That would give you a few mm clearance. That is the only way I can think it would work without doing a carriage redesign and printing a new one. Same with having the orientation so that the motor goes off the side. The stock would overhang the side by 31.1 mm if my math is correct. The current greg's wade gears and bolt are about 13 mm off to the right of the carriage. So that is a significant difference. Again, the other motor above would be the only way to keep the current overhang spec.

So with the stock motor, I can only see it working with the motor facing the front and not the back. Even then, there is the issue of the endstop for the X. I still haven't been able to figure a great solution to that bit. Mine has the endstop on the carriage. I can see having the endstop switch on the end cap assembly of the X axis could work better with this setup. Agreed, it would be ideal to be able to see the front of the Titan from the front of the Robo since it is clear acrylic to aid in loading and unloading the filament and to watch it operate. I guess with stock, you would have to turn your robo around. Although...the motor above would be a nice upgrade as well if it worked. Less than half the weight over stock. The Titan only weighs 90g. Don't know what the Greg's Wade weighs, but I be a lot more than that.

As far as the parts fan, what one are you currently using with the V6? The V6 would have a 3mm difference height wise from what I can tell. What clearance do you have from the base of your fans to the plate when you home Z now? I know the mounting screws wouldn't currently work when looking at my stock part fan mount. It could mount in the hole in front of where the Titan would be as is, but the other would be under the motor and not have a lot of room. So that would be a consideration. You might be able to get away with the current single bolt under the motor with a tapered head going from the top down and the nut under the carriage. And if the bracket for the Titan was designed to overhang the carriage with a lip to keep it from turning right and left, might work.

Now I can't wait to see the bracket design. I need to go to bed and hope I stop thinking about it. :)

#24 danzca6, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Ok I want one. Looks like a makerbot style extruder had a baby with a gregs wade. It looks sweet to me.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Assuming the hotend mounts centered from front to back in the Titan, that 25.2 becomes 12.6 mm doesn't it (of course it doesn't mount exactly in the middle, more toward the front but not more than 4 mm forward). In the Robo it just looks like a new Stepper will need to be of the solution. Not all that different than doing the Official Lead Screw Update.

7. danzca6

The 55.1 mm assumed taking the depth of the Titan and dividing in half. So yes. Otherwise the assembly depth would be 67.7 total. My rambling was probably unclear.

Unfortunately I couldn't find that motor on Amazon. So the s/h might be the key to getting it cheap still.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

9. danzca6

Oh and taking a second look at centering of the hotend in the Titan this morning, it looks pretty centered on the depth measurement, but it is off to one side on the width measurement. I don't know how far off (maybe about 11.5 mm off of center), but enough that the endstop won't be an issue if mounted with the back of the motor at the front of the carriage. So we will still have some overhang on the right of the carriage, but maybe not as much as the greg's wade gears.

Also you can see in the pic below that if the bracket goes under the motor, it will add a couple more mm and lift the hotend even further up from the standard location. Maybe at least 5 mm total instead of the 3 mm without that. I can envision the mount not going under the motor and just going accross the full back face of the Titan and then have an angled support like on this pic on the one side with a flat bed at the bottom with two holes for the mounting bolts. That way the motor and Titan will sit flat on the top of the carriage and have plenty of surface for the mounting bolts to the carriage and the endstop assembly. I should draw that up since my verbal isn't that great.

Links of interest from E3D on the Titan:
    http://e3d-online.com/Titan-Extruder
    http://e3d-online.com/blog/titan
    http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Titan_Assembly

Titan-angled-web-1000x1000.jpg

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

11. danzca6

I'm thinking with a bracket spacer at the minimum of 2mm, that we would only have ~23.4 mm of space for a motor if we go with motor on the back of the x carriage. My math might be off though. A couple mm isn't much...so maybe a creative design in the bracket that would replace the belt connection assembly in the back could still make this work.

12. danzca6

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is why I am trying to push you in this direction, you probably already know all of this. One of the features is easy filament loading. If you can't see it, it isn't easy! That is my one biggest complaints (along with all the other nits) I have against the Robo. Filament loading almost requires you to be an contortionist. Also with the bulk of the weight on the front, as in the current arrangement, the forces of inertia are multiplied. Keeping it as close to the drive portion of the X Carriage will help minimize those forces no matter how small the differences are. Of course we have already figured out that lowering the weight will help here too. If there is any way to move the motor to the back side, we would all benefit.

At least that is where my current mindset is.

14. danzca6

I agree with you 100%. My preference is the motor in the back. I would like there to be two options, stock and custom. Well, maybe three, one design that will allow you to still use the hexagon, but that will be a pet side project once I get the Titan in hand. I will fire up Fusion 360 and get a couple of these doodles into the 3d world.

15. danzca6

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So I have been fooling around with the shopping cart on omc-stepperonline.com and it seems that shipping on 2 (7.05@) is the same as 1 (14.10), 4 (4.70@) steppers is the same as 3 (6.27@), and 7 (3.34@) steppers is the same as 5 (4.68@). This was for the 18 oz/in steppers (20 mm length).

eBay has a few in the US for around $18.00 shipped.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Ship-Sho...261745?hash=item35ed957531:g:Nd8AAOSw9N1Vmyuk

#36 WheresWaldo, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  17. danzca6

BTW, E3D has a 10% off deal for the Titan going on now using coupon code Extrude3D. That probably doesn't work with other resellers like @Printed Solid or Filastruder, but thought I would mention it.

18. elmoret

elmoret Filastruder

We're mirroring that code at Filastruder. In general, all E3D coupon codes are mirrored at Filastruder.

danzca6 likes this.
  19. danzca6

So here is my very rough draft/render of what a mount could look like for the Robo. I don't have the real titan in hand yet, but it has shipped. Just rough measurements given to me. It would use the stock motor and the back of the motor would face the front of the printer. The back of the motor would come pretty flush with the end of carriage. Not ideal for filament loads, but wanted to keep the stock components as much as possible. This would also use the stock nuts and bolts that attach the greg's wade, but would require two ~4.5 mm holes drilled into the carriage.

My robo has the x carriage end stop switch on the carriage. So that is what the two small holes on the far back of the bracket is for. I know the new printers have a small bolt here instead. I would cut the bracket off at the end of the angled brace for that version. This is just a concept render.

Yes, if you want to source a 20 mm deep nema 17 stepper motor like the one linked below, you could rotate this 180 degrees and it would put the front of the titan facing the front of the printer and clear the carriage belt assembly in the back just fine. Again, that would require a tweak in the model to remove the endstop switch mount. Then you can load a bit easier in theory and would be able to see the workings through the clear face plate.

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...or-35v-1a-13ncm184ozin-17hs081004s-p-101.html

Thoughts? The one already designed by the beta tester for the Robo is probably WAY better than this. The overhang on the side is very close to what the stock gears overhang. So shouldn't loose any build area. No I don't have a fan solution rendered yet. I want to wait for the real titan and v6 in hand before going into that.

TitanMountRobo3dMockup.PNG

UPDATE: I'm going to cut the extension for the endstop off of this design. I think I will move my endstop switch to mount directly on the carriage inbetween the belt mount assembly and the titan bracket. I will just design a piece to go onto the x axis end cap to poke the switch. Much easier to handle the wiring. That will make this titan mount universal to be facing this way or turned 180 depending on how you want the motor oriented.

#39 danzca6, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Cool!
    I ordered the last one from printed solid should have it this week. I have basically given up on my "flexystruder" mod anyway.

Its hard for me to visualize how to make it work on the robo without it being in my hands.

I customized one of mike kellys carriages to fit my brass bushings anyway so i'm not worried about hole drilling i'll just put holes where they need to be and re-print it.