1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Configuration files changed from RC4 to RC5. That is just one of many reasons I am currently frustrated with the people in charge of maintaining Marlin. Make sure you use the correct set or redownload them from this thread.

2. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I actually re-downloaded them from this thread (post #271) RC4 bug fix, and I swear this is what I originally downloaded the first time and it didnt have this issue, and now it is...so confused :)

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Look at line 65 of Configuration_adv.h for the Thermal Runaway settings for the hotend. I just increased the grace period before it would trigger.

4. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I just copied and changed the settings from what RC4 had. Thank you

5. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Hello,

New here posting wise but have been following for a little while. I have a question/favor.
    I am running S3D on an R1 plus. Up until a few days ago auto level/compensate had been working fine with no issues really. I could see Z making small adjustments during prints, but now i believe it is time to go to the RC5 ABL or MESH. I run a design and prototyping company so time is of the essence. My only issue is I have little experience with arduino/marlin, enough to edit and compile/upload, enable eeprom, etc. I went to go do the RC5 update but I am not familiar with the .rar file. I'm fairly sure i could take care of the sketchbook setup if this were a zip file, but i was hoping someone would be so kind to walk me through exactly what i need to do to get MESH (hopefully) up and running. Calibration and printer GUI setup is not my concern, I'm strictly talking about having my printer auto compensate/level with S3D. As to what files need swapped with my ROBOR1PLUSV3(cant remember exactly what its called im not at my office at the moment) file to get the new firm flashed to my eeprom, or even better if someone who has mesh setup and succesfully running on S3D could post or send me a zip of there full sketchbook so i could just open that sketchbook with arduino and flash that way. Thank you in advance as i intend to start contributing on here as well.

-Travis

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@TRAVIS KEMP
    RAR is a compression scheme just like zip only faster and more compact. If you are on Windows you can download and use WinRAR from rarlab. Here is the link; http://rarlab.com/

Personally release candidates are not a good idea in production environments, they may have catastrophic effects on your business. We are very close to the release of RC6 and the Marlin developers timeline indicate they are hoping it will be the last RC version before finalizing.

7. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Thank you for your quick response and insight. I do understand the risks, and other than being un-level and not auto compensating this printer has been amazing and the quality is great, quite surprised with the quality after all the bad reviews i have seen, but this one is not one of them! Is there another option to get it to compensate with S3D? It used to do be able to print a part that covered the whole X plane and was level on both sides, but now it just goes through G29 and doesnt make any compensation. changing M565 Z# does change z-offset, so that works unlike others who had this issue, I am just not sure why its not auto-compensating now. I have been throughthe firmware and nothing seems to be wrong and eeprom updates work, so Im at a loss. Thank you!

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Because of the mechanical design of the Robo and the way it uses multiple switches on the X axis to determine what is level, it will work better when the X axis is already as mechanically level as possible. It is an issue because of the excess weight that the X axis stepper motor places on the right side of the Z axis rails. If you can use Google to search this site (example enter this term in a Google search field: paper level site:community.robo3d.com) you will find instructions on just how to mechanically level your Robo.

Once we are at a gold release of Marlin then you may find that MESH leveling will actually provide better results with the mechanical design of the Robo vs. auto-bed-leveling. If you do want to move forward with RC5 you will need to download the source code using this link: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip. Then download the appropriate configuration files from this thread, uncompress them using the WinRAR application linked to previously, overwriting the files in the Marlin subdirectory. Then you can open it in the Arduino IDE and continue with your compilation and uploading from within the IDE. I make no guarantees as to the functionality of RC5. My gut still says wait until RC6 or the final release.

9. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Ok, thank you very much, I'm ok with mechanically leveling. I'm just not sure of the best way to go about it. I did the search but it only brings me back to this thread? maybe its something I'm doing wrong? sorry to be such a pain, I really appreciate the help and other wise my printer is very well dialed in for multiple materials, so I will follow your advice and wait. But you think that its is actually "working" its just off kilter too much for it to actually make an effect? Also, I wanted to ask, on your config do the majority of you have disable_z true or false? (for when z not in use)

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

False.

Here is what can happen when you disable because of idle. The stepper motor only knows about moving in full steps. In our case it is 200 steps per revolution. The RAMPS control board can do microsteps, where current is used to subdivide those 200 steps into smaller divisions. Marlin defaults to 16 microsteps per step. When you disable Z during idle you shut off all current to the stepper motor. When current is reapplied it forces the stepper to start at the nearest full step, meaning there will be a slight misalignment from when you stopped last. While minor it might be noticeable in certain instances. X and Y usually don't suffer from this as they are usually constantly moving during printing. Big layers could result in a layer taking long enough to print that the Z axis will idle out.

You might try the word 'manual' instead of 'paper' for your search term.

11. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Ok, got ya, my config was stated as true, unless I'm understanding this backward (because I do a lot of end use prints and precision is key) i should have this to false, the way i understand this is more based upon my CNC experience, which i realize in some cases can be opposite of "things" in the 3d print world. Sorry if I am coming off redundant, but as an engineer (and like most makers) we are quite...ho how do i put this....anal? haha I appreciate you help so very much waldo!

- I will try manual - also, I started to experiment with figuring a work around to make the left switch disengage with more pressure so that both engage together, I have both clicking together, about to test a print now of 3 blocks left, mid, right. Does this sound like an acceptable work around, I still will manually level as well once i find the source.

EDIT- DID NOT SEE *FALSE* AT THE TOP OF YOUR REPLY

12. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

So here are results of before and after making the stops hit equally(since my OP I did make small adjustments the the stops, tightening etc.) Let me know which option you think is the better choice IF I were to keep G29 ABL for now atleast until the new release. Or if i should just manual level? Thanks in advance. Oh, and one of them I forgot to run M565 Z-1 on just so you know why one of them is off a ways.

BEFORE any type of "rigging" or "mod" to make the stops hit at the same time.
    SENT: G29
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.97
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.56
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.67
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.11
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.64
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.90
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.70
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.61
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.98
    RECEIVED: Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: -0.00 d: -0.74
    RECEIVED: planeNormal x: 0.00 y: 0.00 z: 1.00

Modifying just the Left (homing side)
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.07
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.26
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.08
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.90
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.30
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.77
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 230.00 z: 0.37
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.12
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 230.00 z: 0.10
    RECEIVED: Eqn coefficients: a: -0.00 b: 0.00 d: -0.39
    RECEIVED: planeNormal x: 0.00 y: -0.00 z: 1.0

Modifying both sides

RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.83
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.15
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.35
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.13
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 125.00 z: -0.05
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 125.00 z: -1.10
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 230.00 z: -0.35
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 110.00 y: 230.00 z: 0.13
    RECEIVED: Bed x: 205.00 y: 230.00 z: 0.02
    RECEIVED: Eqn coefficients: a: 0.00 b: 0.00 d: -0.71
    RECEIVED: planeNormal x: -0.00 y: -0.00 z: 1.00

13. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

Wow, thanks WheresWaldo! Just did an update to RC5 and did mesh bed leveling... FINALLY I can use my whole print bed. For some reason the right side of the bed has always been "smashed" down and if I adjusted Z offset enough to fix that, my left side was too far out to adhere. Just did a test on the outside edges all the way around and voila, good prints and ABS adhesion all the way around! Woohoo!

Appreciate your work and time on this, thanks a lot.

-Blake

James Harry likes this.
  14. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

My printer get's stuck at "Heating..." after starting a print and it just sits there. Pronterface continues saying "echo:busy: processing". This is after I uploaded the AutoLeveling version for the R1+.

#334 Wesotn, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Wesotn At the moment, until RC6 is released and I have a chance to look at the configuration files. My best advice is to go back to Robo's default firmware or take a chance on RCBugFix. There are issues with both of those, but neither should prevent you from printing. The other option is to do bed heating first and do not wait until heated to start heating the hotend (using M109 instead of M190 in gcode).

16. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

Do you know how to change the smart controller type in the arduino upgrade for the R1+ on their website? Whenever I try to change it, it says that it has failed to compile and I've been going at it for a good hour and can't figure that out.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Start a new thread with your errors.
    That is a different version of the Marlin as well.

18. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

OK, after a long hiatius, I got my Robo3D back up and running. I also got RC5 running with mesh leveling and all I can say is "Wow!". I've got a full bed available to place parts to run overnight.

I did change my start script to the following after I do a manual mesh level (G29 S1) and save to EEPROM (M500)

M501; load from EEPROM settings
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z25 F5000 ; lift Z by 25mm to I can trim excess "ozz" as extruder heats up
    M140 S[bed0_temperature] ; Set Bed Temperature
    M190 S[bed0_temperature] ; Wait for Bed Temperature
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; set extruder temperature .
    M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0 ; set extruder temperature and wait for temp
    G92 E0 ; set extruder distance at zero
    G92 E0 ; reset extruder distance to zero

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As we are quickly approaching Release Candidate 6 here is an update from an outsider's perspective. First there are a lot of good things happening in Marlin. Short of restructuring the entire code base (which probably needs to happen before version 2.0) many developers are working hard finding a rash of issues and making small fixes. There seem to be a lot of smaller issues identified and fixed or still to be fixed before release, but it is moving forward. But all is not good either. There has been new code introduced during the release candidate process that is less than adequately tested and it has forced either other bugs to surface or had to be reverted. From a former Program Manager's perspective introduction of new features, no matter how good or how well written is a big no-no once you are at the release candidate stage (especially if that stage is made public). This has in turn slowed the process down to unfix some of these new features or delayed the fixing of others.

I am writing this not to minimize the work or the leadership within the Marlin development community but just to inform the people here of where the state of the project is right now. I do expect that there will be at least a Release Candidate 6 before they announce that it is gold, there may even need to be an RC7.

Overall, the changes made to Marlin will benefit the Robo community and even though we as users will need to unlearn and relearn a few different workarounds that are in common usage today, in the long run it will be beneficial. As always, as soon as I see the next RC posted, I will start work on the configuration files. They will be uploaded as a separate compressed file (please use Winrar {Windows} or unrar {Mac, Linux} to uncompress them) overwriting the default source files you will download direct from the Marlin GIT repository when they are ready.

zenekNY and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I havent really noticed any issues with RC5 .Its been running smoothly . Only small thing i can think of is when print starts and homes to the bed with mesh it does a double dip which if i dont take the filament off the nozzle right before it starts filament get smashed all over the nozzle. Im sure something can be done like in my start code so not really a firmware bug.

Btw if anyone doesnt want to use winrar . I personally like 7zip better which also works with winrar and zip files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.