1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

That's not the software or the PEI plate. ABS is very sensitive to temperature differentials, even a cool breeze from opening a door can be enough to set it off. On my Delta I would put a big heavy plastic bag over it, that was usually enough to protect it from drafts and let it print higher without problems. Until I did that I screwed up more than one ABS print by opening the door to let the dogs out. Have not tried ABS on the Robo just yet.

2. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

Just tried out Simplify3D for my printing. I turned the speeds way down and tweaked a ton of stuff and I'm very, very happy with it so far. The infill and supports are nice, but mostly the fact that the software didn't crash/hard lock and it monitors progress nicely is a big benefit. Cura hard locks on my Mac after a couple hours and MatterControl has randomly crashed during a print (and killed the print) twice now. I had a Raspberry Pi with OctoPi but it wigged out once also... if Simplify will just work consistently, I'm happy with the price for that feature alone.

The ability to tweak... everything... is fantastic as well.

m4r1n5, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. that_1guy

that_1guy New Member

hey guys
    can anyone help me with s3d scripts for start and stoping. im not sure where to look .
    what im wanting to do is after the auto level id like the printer to print 1 line like 40mm long then move over and start the print kinda prime purge or something . then at the end of the print id like the it to come up like 20mm and move the bed out front . so i dont have to move it when its done any help
    many thanks

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I've been using S3d since I day 2. As far as PLA, it comes out great. I just my carbon fiber pla in from Robo so illl see how that comes out

6. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

I do occasionally have an issue with S3d where it will hang on "heating extruder" if I cancelled a print (due to adhesion issues or anything else) and then started again. 70% of the time it works fine, 30% of the time it gets weird. If I close the software and cycle power on the printer (and Arduino) it's a-ok. Not a big deal but a minor annoyance. Could be a Marlin 1.1 RC5 thing as well though.

7. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

FYI. I really just used simplify3d as a slicer and put it on the SD card. I use mattercontrol to load the card and print it. after the printer starts running its on it's own

8. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

Instead of a 40mm line, I use 2 to 5 "skirts" (see "Additions/Use Skirt/Brim"), to get the extruder operating and verify all good on z height. I use less skirts for large pieces and more for smaller pieces.

For the end script, this is what I use

M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
    M140 S0 ; turn off bed
    G1 X0 Y220 F2000 ; home X axis and kick Y stage out
    M84 ; disable motors
    M106 S0 ; disable fans

Geof likes this.
  9. Rascal

Rascal Member

If you get a really good print can you fill me in on your settings! I trashed two prints, kinda irritated, but I have strings and its terrible!

10. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Not sure if you're asking for PLA or the CF. Here is my file for PLA, which I had taken from someone in this forum and I can't remember who it was. But I appreciated it!

As for the Robo3d Carbon Fiber, all I did was modify the PLA file to the recommended 215 nozzle and stayed with the bed heat at 60. I sprayed hairspray on the bed, waited 20 min, then use the purple Elmers glue stick over that. I usually wait 10 min before I heat the bed. That combo has worked PERFECT for my PLA(Robo), CF(Robo), and left over ABS from my DaVinci. Too darn good I think, I worry Im going to break something trying to get the prints off.

Look at my Post I started in the Filament section for the Cabon Fiber. I also just bought some PLA, PETG, and Polypropylene from www.allprofessional3d.com and waiting for them to come in. FYI I have the R1+ Plus

Attached Files:

11. Rascal

Rascal Member

Thanks, I will have to try it. I was putting off the whole 3d printer thing till the weekend this week to avoid any headaches :)

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol ok hope it goes well for you

13. Rascal

Rascal Member

It was no good so I just did some tweaking after reading a few things and still have a few fail layers but overall good structure, which makes me wonder if its the filament or perhaps some other pc errors

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Rascal start a trouble shooting thread with pictures :) someone can help you out in detail that way

15. cosber

cosber Active Member

After having consistently successful prints with PLA, suddenly I couldn't get a good first layer. It was driving me crazy since I was finally printing at will, not having to tweak so much. I tried 4-5 times and no luck. Then, just as suddenly, I got a good first layer. That's when I noticed I had closed the door to my work shed. Now I'm thinking about adding the plexiglass cover created by one of the guys here, or that Ikea mod.

I'm always surprised how one user's methods doesn't work for others, in particular the issue of sticking to the bed even though we're basically using the same machine. Using both hairspray and glue seems like overkill to me. I use just hairspray, no extra waiting, by the time the bed heats up, it dry. I only use PLA and it sticks so well I have to let it cool at least 30 minutes to be able to get it off the bed. For awhile now, if I remember, I've been turning off the bed an hour or so towards the end of the print so it's cool enough to pop off when the print is done, or shortly after. I haven't had any problems with it popping off during a print. Also, I only spray the bed every 4 or 5 prints.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Much of printing is environment sensitive.
    Temperatures, stickage, warping, etc...

17. 3DMan

3DMan New Member

Hi! New member here. Do you mind explaining how you were able to get such a nice sphere? Mine usually struggle with gaps on the upper portion. I have created a post in Troubleshooting for this very issue. It won't let me post the link. It keeps mentioning that it is to prevent spam? Anyways, the title of the thread is,
    "Advice to Print Better Tops of Curved Surfaces or Spheres."

Thanks.

18. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I just joined the Simplify 3D club.

I'm using it on a Laptop running Linux Mint 17.3 on a 1366x768 screen and the Preview screen gets cut off with no way to scroll down to see all the controls for the preview. Is there a workaround for this, this seems like a big problem since that is not an uncommon screen resolution.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi sorry im a wondows users and havnt seen the issue. I would suggesting opening a ticket with them if nobody is of help here. They were pretty quick to respond for me. I think next buisness day....maybe sooner

20. 3D Printer Man

I've used it on the DaVinci, it is good, it lets me add supports were I want. But the DaVinci was not good, but it made it better.