1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered MatterControl 1.5 Linux

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WZ9V, Apr 11, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Running Linux, I of course could not install the software from the Robo3D website.

I downloaded and installed MatterControl 1.5 from MatterHackers and configured if for the Robo3D R1 and here is the start G-Code.

G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set extruder temperature
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on the nozzle
    ; expected a M565 here from my reading
    G29 ; probe the bed

I expected there to be a M565 Z-1 or something in there. Does this mean its set somewhere in configuation.h and its using that as a default?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not set in Configuration.h and no way to put it in there either, needs to be where the comment says it should be.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Not sure what my machine is using for Z-offset then. It's printing OK, but I really was expecting a M565 there. If I type M565 into terminal, will it tell what offset its currently using?

I'm trying to borrow working settings as a basis for setting up Slic3r. The MC GUI is really rubbing me the wrong way.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Try M206 in terminal then try M565 in terminal. Reply here with responses. What you will find here is that most long time users, with respect to MatterControl, use something else instead. Too much suffering through very buggy versions. Cura, Slic3r and Simplify3D are more common for people beyond MatterControl and well as host programs like Repetier-Host and Octoprint.

5. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yes, I'm just trying to extract some working settings to import into Slic3r. I've been using Slic3r/Pronterface for a while on a DIY delta I've shelved in favor of the Robo. The delta will live again after a re-build with metal corners and some other upgrades to hopefully finally solve the perpetual calibration issues I had with it. I'm really digging the Robo R1+ because it worked so well out of the box. I still didn't have my delta kit going this smooth on a repeatable basis. I'd have a streak of good prints and then it would all go bad again. I should NEVER have started with a Delta as a first printer but they are way cool.

I'm only using MatterControl because it was already setup for the Robo. Once I get a better tool chain going, it is destined for the trash bin.

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Connecting...
    start
    Printer is now online.
    echo: External Reset
    Marlin1.0.0
    echo: Last Updated: Jun 24 2015 14:05:08 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)
    Compiled: Jun 24 2015
    echo: Free Memory: 3749 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
    echo:Stored settings retrieved
    echo:SD card ok
    >>> m565
    SENDING:M565
    zprobe_zoffset: 0.70
    >>> m206
    SENDING:M206

So it looks like without a M565 being issued it is defaulting to 0.7 at power up. Output is from Pronterface terminal.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Then you have your answer, you will need to add it to startup gcode if you want something other than -0.70.