1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Printing from SD Card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by WZ9V, Apr 12, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

So I can start a SD Card print from MatterControl using the instructions provided in Robo's video. When I try to initiate a SD Card print in Pronterface terminal I can't get it to start up (really need an LCD)

I do M20 and it lists the files as expected
    I do M23 filename.gco
    Then M24

Best I can tell nothing happens

I even tried M32 filename.gco and still no joy.

XXL LCD on order.

2. Tom Finzel

Tom Finzel Member

Try this:

Export your Gcode to an SD card and rename it auto0.g

Power off the Robo and insert the SD card and power on the Robo.

Wait...

Should begin to print.

This works for my R1+ with the Printer not connected to my Computer at all.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. That should work. We don't use pronterface for the Robo (we do for the DLP, but no SD card printing there)

4. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

After I posted the question I saw the auto0.g process. I was just hoping there was a way to issue commands from the terminal without having to restart the printer. Somehow MatterControl does it so there must be some magic sequence I can duplicate in Pronterface. I'll keep digging since the M23/M24 and M32 combos suggested for Marlin in the RepRap wiki didn't seem to do the trick. Once I get the LCD hooked up I can just use the menus to start prints but until then I need a workaround and am developing a major dislike of MatterControl's GUI.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Welcome to the not-so-exclusive-club :)

The bugs it had were an additional 'attraction' (or should i say "added features"?)

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yes, I had played with it a bit when I first built my DIY delta (that never worked quite right) and dismissed it then. I'm only using it now because it's already setup but I do need to steal the settings and setup Slic3r and Pronterface instead. On the delta I was using a Duet with RepRapFirmware that has its own web interface which is way cool.

Maybe it's time to invest in Simplify3D, that seems to be pretty popular.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is worth the price if you want to never deal with a slicer issue again.
    However, I always tell folks to make sure they exhaust the possibilities of the free stuff first if the price is a sticking point.

(It wasn't for us because it is a fraction of the cost of good CAD software and almost free compared to the CAM software we had for the lathe and mill, but I understand that it can be for some folks).

8. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I have not really exhausted what Slic3r can do but I have had a few times where control over supports would have been handy. I have found Slic3r 1.2.9 to weird out on occasion if you try to click on things too fast. Considering my other hobby is radio control, $150 is not incredibly expensive by comparison.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@WZ9V aren't you a Linux user? Octoprint maybe, as it is basically web based host (not a slicer).

I have my Robo on a rPi2 running OctoPi (precompiled build on Debian Jessie).
    I have a second printer on an OrangePi running Octoprint on Debian Jessie.

Both allow web control and will even print from the internal SD card.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have used a lot of Slic3r and it is not for the timid. There are so many things you can change in it that it can be daunting to optimize. The few things I don't like about Slic3r are that tool paths are sometimes stupid, printing the actual part takes longer with a Slic3r part than something sliced with S3D or even Cura. The interface is really dated. Only appears to be one single developer (although Cura only has 1 full time developer also, no idea on S3D). Slic3r can be prone to crashing or locking up while slicing complex parts. Slicing engine is slow.

11. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yes, I have Slic3r 1.29 (because of the round bed support) and if you are not careful it can easily lock up on you. Since I don't have either Slic3r or Cura setup for the Robo yet, this is probably time to give Cura 15.04 a try. Does Cura have the ability to setup different Filament / Structure / Printer profiles like you can do in Slic3r?

12. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

After some more digging and watching things in the MC terminal the M23 filename followed by M24 should have worked.

BTW, if you have a SD CARD print going and you turn off the PC connected to the printer, disconnect the USB cable. If you fire up Matter Control (with auto connect turned on, which it is by default) the current SD Card print will stop and be ruined. Probably can happen with other USB attached software also.

Paul M likes this.
  13. Paul M

Paul M New Member

@WZ9V Thanks for the Information I will try using the SD CARD to print and hopefully i will have less problems.

14. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Printing from the SD Card helps solve a lot of problems. I know with USB printing I see random pauses that do not happen when printing from SD Card. If your not using MatterControl and are using a terminal (such as pronterface) here are some helpful commands.

M20 - List the files on SD Card
    M23 <filename> - Select <filename> as the current file
    M24 - Start printing current file (also is the resume after a pause)
    M27 - Only works while USB connected (I usually disconnect and let the printer do its thing)

If you have a LCD then you just scroll to the file and tell it to print from the menus.

15. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Retried M23/M24 combo in Pronterface and it appears M23 is not completing as expected. On the other hand I rediscovered the button for printing from SD Card so now I have a simple way to kick off SD card prints as opposed to all the steps required in MatterControl. Still curious as to the actual G-Code required to make SD Card prints happen from the terminal. Guess more Google is required.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just remember if you want to print 'headless' to pull the cable after using that button :)

17. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yup, killed more than one print forgetting it was still connected and firing up something only to have the print stop cold and me going DOH!

mark tomlinson likes this.