1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I actually have one of those lying around that I bought just to see what it was like. They are ok, no v6 but probably comparable to the hex

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yep, that is what is included in my parcel coming tomorrow. :) I figured why not. Just wanted to explore options for those not wanting to upgrade their Hex just yet.

Oh, and if anyone that doesn't have a V6 and wants to upgrade, I wouldn't buy off of Amazon. Printed Solid would be my first choice for quality and customer service. Worth the extra $ for me any day of the week. But that is just my opinion.

3. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I second the endorsement of @Printed Solid. He has been awesome!!!

4. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Cool, that's my biggest concern with the stock one, other than that it seems fine for what I do. Any particular herringbone gearset you recommend? I've found at least two in Robo specifc searches on thingiverse but if you look at generic ones there are a ton more.

I hope at one point to print something that isn't for the Robo but I still have LCD case, feet, gears, and dual fan parts queued up still. I just finished a ball bearing spool holder last night to replace the stock one.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@WZ9V Just pick one, it really doesn't matter.

6. danzca6

Tom just released a video that has the Titan in it as well as many other extruder styles. He goes over a lot about the differences in extruder designs. Might be relevant to this topic. And I found it totally worth watching. Especially if you just watch from about 6:45-6:55...I almost lost my morning drink laughing. Not sure how he could have kept a straight face with that line.

Oh and he did have one minor thing outdated. E3D went back and changed the cut of the hobb-goblin to match the titan for the filament gear. So their shouldn't be any difference now.

#66 danzca6, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Printed Solid and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just ordered one from Matt a few minutes ago. Will see what I can do with it. If it won't work the way I want it to on the Robo I'll just move it to my other printer.

Printed Solid likes this.
  8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice Waldo,

USPS is taking its sweet time so mine isn't here yet. Might get here tomorrow.

9. ProfessorPinky

I ordered directly from e3D on Wednesday at about 2:30PM PST and my order arrived today (Friday around 10:30AM.
    I paid the cheapest FedEx option available which was FedEx Int. Priority: £10.83
    Less than two days later it arrived at my door in Southern Calirornia but will have to wait to play until Sunday afternoon or evening when I get back home from a weekend trip with the wife. Hopefully someone will have shared their designs because I have no idea what I am getting into as my both my R1 Plus and Refurbished R1 without the lead screw upgrade are completely stock and I have owned each for less than one month. Probably putting them on the refurbished R1 because it seems to be printing better than the R1 Plus.

Titan Extruder
    Power Pack - V6 & Volcano 1.75mm Universal (12v) V6VolcanoPack
    Volcano Extra Nozzle - 1.75mm x 0.40mm

I would have ordered from Printed Solid but they had said they just sold their last one in stock.
    I was going to try Filastruder but I couldn't find anything about shipping times or where they ship from.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Filastruder is in Georgia

11. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

I got my Titan in the mail yesterday. Also, the lead screw upgrade. I'm going to have fun basically rebuilding my printer once I figure out a mount for this Titan.

12. TstarkEngineering

Looks like my v1 titan mount is going to loose a little x build space, but gain a little z build space...

13. danzca6

@Marquis Johnson put some Titan options out there for a bowden setup. It's a posting he had a few weeks ago, but had to take it down. Can't wait to see his final setup.

14. KTMDirtFace

Mine just got here. now time to figure out how im going to mount it.

Off to 3D land to figure it out.

15. TstarkEngineering

first mount(V1.0) ran into a problem mounting it up. I couldnt get the hotend in after is was mounted but couldnt put it in before either...v1.1 printing now. I definitely need to change angles so I gain some of my x volume back, but at least it looks like v1.1 is a start. Should be up and running by tonight if everything runs smoothly here on out...

16. KTMDirtFace

17. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Forever!
    I had this happen with the spring on my original beta Robo. It wasn't forever though. I found it about a year and a half later.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sort of like how you never really 'lose' a lego brick. You'll find it when barefoot.

19. KTMDirtFace

I haven't made a bracket yet.. But this is what I'm thinking of doing basically moving everything forward. Just worried having the hotend fins so close to the front of the carriage. Otherwise I have to flip it around, which I could do but I want to see that cool extruder and be able to take it apart from the front. New cooling fan will be required no matter what I do so I'm not worried about that yet.

I don't really care that t his will offset where the prints print on the bed. It actually might line up pretty close to the actual robo 3d corner paintings ont he bed this way which never normally line up.. I dunno I think i'll design up a bracket and carriage and try it out.

[​IMG]

#79 KTMDirtFace, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  20. KTMDirtFace

Haha I loose the springs on my robo every other time i take the filament out. Then curse and hunt for them in the carpet.. they usually bounce off the wall and end up behind the desk.