1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus Hot End - Indigogo Project

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JohnStack, Apr 8, 2014.

1. robocad

robocad Member

The thermistor appears to be malfunctioning, ive got the thermistor plugged into the T0 2-pin port on the control board and it returns this error when trying to control the printer preventing it from being used:

: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
    Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

This happens in both orientations.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check to endure you didbt damage it. The thermistor for all hotends are insanely fragile

3. robocad

robocad Member

Damage it? Its still a glass bead, it didnt shatter or anything.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The leads seem to be where they break the most. I believe shorted shows max temp

5. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad check to see if the leads are broken or if the leads are touching the heater block as this would create a short circuit. Also, ensure that you have followed the steps in the assembly instructions for changing your thermistor definition in your firmware. This is super important. Let me know once you have checked these things.

Geof likes this.
  6. robocad

robocad Member

I pulled it out of the hole and put it back in and it is working. I heated the hotend up and try to extrude but its jammed. I pulled the hotend out and manually fed filament through it to see where it stops and it appears it makes it to the heatbreak and is blocked, which is odd because this is the first time ive used this and the hotend is all one piece so i dont know where the block is coming from, maybe it wasnt milled correctly?

anyways what can i do? take it apart again and drill it out?

7. robocad

robocad Member

well i went ahead and drilled it out since there was no other way to get it out of the hotend, i heated the bit and it all came out, now its finally extruding, but there are all these little bumps on the extruded filament that i never saw on the hexagon or e3d, here is a pic of it, im thinking whatever caused it to jam the first time its causing this. Any ideas on what to do? I cant have my prints looking like theirs bits of sand stuck in it.

http://imgur.com/ZGN9EtP

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Does look like a partial clog still. Is the cold end fan blowing across the heat sinks? Also id be very cautious with a drill and the hotend. A safer idea is to use a small torch burn the filament jam out and then reassemble heat and season

9. robocad

robocad Member

Well the prometheus instructions say not to torch it and only provides a cool pull method which wasnt going to work here, but the drill bit was smaller than the hole and the heat caused the filament to wrap around it so i didnt even touch the walls with it but for a few seconds. Ive shined a light from the nozzle and looked through and there is no other clogs. The only conclusion i can come to is there is something wrong with the nozzle itself.

10. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad I really wish you had waited for my response. I NEVER advise that customers torch or drill the nozzle as these processes can damage the internal polishing. I have no way of knowing if the drill bit you used scratched the smooth inside surface of the 1-piece nozzle. This could cause jamming issues down the road... There are other ways to clean the nozzle. If the filament is stuck, heating it well above the printing temperature and pushing on the filament is usually the way to get the plastic flowing through the nozzle unless you have debris in the nozzle. In that case, a high temp heat up and "cold pull" works best. Please ask me before trying anything that could damage the product.

Anyway, could you detail what you have done so far and what issues you are currently facing? That way I can diagnose the possible causes of these issues. You mentioned little bumps on the extruded filament. That is not something that could be caused by the nozzle unless it was being intermittently clogged with debris. Have you done a proper "cold pull" to ensure all debris is cleared? Also, what filament are you printing and at what temp? Those kind of bumps in extruded filament often show up when the filament has absorbed too much moisture. Try drying your filament and printing again.

Lots of questions but I hope you can get through all of them so we can sort this out!

Thanks,
    Eric

11. robocad

robocad Member

Well i would have waited but ive already been waiting over a week just to use my printer again and this is really getting frustrating when your nozzle which i just spent 6 hours trying to get installed and working jams up on the first use and you arent around to heop and your website does not detail how to deal with this situation.

Im using esun PETG at 240c, its worked fine so far even on the stock hexagon hotend. Drying my filament? how do i do that? PETG doesnt even absorb moisture like other filaments do.

I did the cold pull method, its 84c for petg, pulled it out manually cut it then put it back in, heated to 240c, now i get this error message when trying to extrude:

Extruding 100.000000mm of filament.
    Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@robocad sorry for the torch option its what we do with the hex and e3d but apparently not with the promethius. Glad you didnt torch it :)

The drill bits arnt really a great option but i have done it with a pen vise. The cold pull is the most recomended by all vendors i think.

@RP Iron Man what site do you sell through i think i might need to try out your hotend so i can assist members as well

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@robocad can you share all the errors ?

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Post the actual error and we can comment. That will be further back in the gcode terminal log

Geof likes this.
  15. robocad

robocad Member

Setting hotend temperature to 240.000000 degrees Celsius.
    Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
    Disconnected.

Thats all it shows me

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

further back you will find an error.
    Look back through the entire console, save to disk if needed and use notepad

17. robocad

robocad Member

I restarted everything and its started working again, i can tell this is going to be a regular occurrence. Its extruding but the filament is still coming out bumpy. I loosened the nuts on the hobbed bolt to make sure its not getting chewed up as it goes down and its as loose as it will allow, still getting the bumps.

18. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof Thanks! I sell through www.distechautomation.com The Prometheus V2 customizable all metal hot end is my product.

@mark tomlinson Thanks for stepping in here to help out!

@robocad I understand that you want to start printing as soon as possible but please do not try anything that can damage the product without consulting with me first. I am here everyday to help you out but I need you to work with me. For the temperature error, try restarting your printer and your host software. Are you getting temperature readings from the hot end?

19. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad Its good to hear that you are up and running again. Please show me a pic of the print so that I can see what it looks like.

20. robocad

robocad Member