1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus Hot End - Indigogo Project

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by JohnStack, Apr 8, 2014.

1. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad Can you try printing a simple part? This will help us see how this shows up in the actual print. That makes it easier to diagnose and fix the problem

Geof likes this.
  2. robocad

robocad Member

Better than i thought it would have turned out, the base looks really ratty and the pillar is more pockmarked than bumpy

http://imgur.com/Z0W6fvA

3. robocad

robocad Member

It seems to do standard grids well enough but smooth surfaces and solid flats it cant do

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looks like a loose drive in the photo. Make sure belts are tensioned and that the drive cogs on the motor shafts are NOT loose. They never do seem to use loctite and they often either start loose or work their way loose.

You should be able to print nice sharp clean edges. That really doesn't explicitly look like an extruder problem, but maybe some other closeups would help.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a sloppy belt that looked likr the tower. It would skip teeth and look horrible.

Not sure about the bottom. What slicer do you use ?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Might be good to share a close up of the hotend as well to visually look for a loose item. Also depending on the measurement of the quick release portion of the hotend you may need a thicker one like us with e3d had to do

7. robocad

robocad Member

It seems to have lamination problems probably from the irregularity of extrusion manifesting itself as bumps:

http://imgur.com/dvZiIkg

8. robocad

robocad Member

Well if we are to start looking for faults elsewhere it would probably be best to wait for the two e3d v6 knockoffs i have coming tomorrow to see if these problems persist than to spend more time trying to displace blame.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think anyone is trying to fault anything or steer off topic just trying to look at the whole picture and not just one thing in a effort to be thorough.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you checked checked calibration with the new extruder? What were the results. I have also found different temperatures are required when using new hotends. Try upping the temp to 250 instead of the 240 and see how it flows

11. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad this definitely looks like it could be a calibration issue. Did you try increasing the extrusion temperature until the filament flows smoothly? The Prometheus V2 often prints nicer at higher temperatures. Have you done a calibration print to adjust the extrusion multiplier?

Do you have a print cooling fan turned on? If it is blowing over the nozzle tip it could be cooling the nozzle causing excessive backpressure and inconsistent extrusion. Please check this.

Have you checked to ensure that the hot end is securely held in place? If you try to wiggle the hot end does it move at all? It should be tightly fixed in place.

Geof likes this.
  12. robocad

robocad Member

Hotend is held solidly, no print fan, just extruded at 250c, still coming out lumpy, 260c, still lumpy. Im pretty sure the initial jam and subsequent lumpyness is due to a defect within the nozzle, it would only make sense that the internal geometry of a hotend would ultimately affect its output short of it being fed lumpy filament. Just checked the extruder spring bolts, they are as loose as they can be, there appears to be no obstructions causing any damage to the filament, cleaned around the tip of the nozzle to remove stuckon filament, its still coming out bumpy after a meter or so. Definitely looks like bubbles, some intact some popped.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. robocad

robocad Member

I pulled the filament out to check if was damaged passing through the hobbed bolt and in fact there were bite marks on it, so i removed the spring bolts clipped the damaged filament off and fed it through by hand, after 6" or so its still pushing out bumpy filament. This is definitely a defect in the nozzle.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bite marks from the hobb can be normal. I usually have them (because I keep the tension screws at max).

You still may have issues with the hotend and @RP Iron Man is the guy to help you sort that.

The bumps though could be filament related if they are caused by bubbles (steam). If you do have another spool try that just to be sure. New spools should be sealed and have desiccant in the bag.

16. robocad

robocad Member

PET G Polyethylene Terephtalate Glycol 0.100-0.200%. Looked at a video for drying filament, it does look like a similar issue, they suggest putting my spool in the oven, that doesnt seem too bright. Ill get a ziplock and some dessicant.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Storing it with desiccant will sort it out.
    I looked at the 'bake it dry' approaches and chose not to :)

Geof likes this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I leave all my spools in there boxes in a 1 gallon baggie with a bag of desicant. No issues so far.

19. robocad

robocad Member

Well i'll be damned, it was the filament, not seeing as many bubbles as before after 6 hours of it being desiccated by damprid. But now theres a strange recurring aberration, any idea what is causing this?

http://imgur.com/bMk3Qc1

#119 robocad, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@robocad Sorry for the long delay. I have been travelling all day.

The bubbles are definitely related to wet filament and have nothing to do with the nozzle geometry. I am glad you figured this out and dealt with it.

As for those recurring aberrations, it could be a result of insufficient retraction. Do those marks show up at the point where the hot end finishes the perimeter and jumps to the next part? Try to watch the print and let me know where this happens. Then we can look at your Slic3r settings and figure out the cause of the problem. Let me know your settings for retraction. Thanks.