1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I think that once Mesh leveling incorporates the bolded part that it will get a lot easier for Robo owners to move to (not sure how common the Robo's method of probing is).

2. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Just finished putting 1.1.0 RC6 on my Robo. So far it seems less quirky starting SD Card prints from Pronterface than the factory 1.0.0 was. Just started first long print after upgrade and retuning.

3. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Loaded RC6 with your changes, including the setting 2 for MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z. Did a M502/M500 and a mesh leveling. Printed a quick test (small disks at a bunch of spots around the build plate. Worked well. Thanks again!

I did notice that my mesh grid with MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z = 2 in RC6 has values about 2 more than in RC5 when I had MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z = 0.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

For everyone using RC6, please report any anomalies very quickly. I fear that the inclusion of new untested code during the RC process as well as the desire of the Development Team to be done with this and move to a release might overlook something. It's nice to mention a bug here, but ultimately it needs to be opened as an issue on their GIT repository.

I do want to thank many people (not an inclusive list) for help using and testing RC's on our Robo's

Sorry if I missed anyone.

WADZOQUADZ likes this.
  5. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

In my opinion, I do not think you should be thanking me for any reason. I should be thanking you for maintaining what you do.

so thank you!

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

So far I'm pretty happy with RC6 it has been way more stable when triggering SD Card prints through Pronterface. With the supplied 1.0.0 I'd usually have to start a SD print and reboot a few times because it would get hung up waiting for something to heat up. Only two long prints so far but both started and ran as expected. I finally ran into the heated bed too small issue printing those parts but that's not Marlin's fault.

7. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'll be hooking up my Smart XXL display soon so I'll be checking that also. I had to replace your language_en.h with the github one to compile without warnings, but you had mentioned earlier that wasn't supposed to be in the bundle. I compiled with 1.6.8 no problems after replacing that one file and swapping the Full Graphic support for the Smart LCD support.

Thanks for making it easy. Was much nicer than having to edit it all myself.

8. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

I have only had one issue with RC6 thus far and it may have been a bad file on the SD card. Went to kick off a print via SD and it kicked my G29 load of the mesh and went to center then went out to lunch. I killed the print, redid the slice and started again and it was fine. Right now I'm blaming it on a bad G code save out of S3D.

I can confirm RC6 fixed my "hangs on heating after a cancelled print" issue RC5 had. No other issues found so far. Printing a LONG print spiral vase right now, about 25% in its rolling along great.

I am running a 5x5 bed mesh, for anyone interested. I see an improvement vs 3x3 in quality but no decrease in quality vs 7x7 when I tried and 7x7 takes forever to set, haha.

Oh and I run an AliExpress ordered full graphic LCD. Works great with the release and the newest library, at least after I soldered the pins down that the manufacturer didn't solder...

Thanks again for your work on this.

9. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Just installed RC6 Mesh and looking good so far. Havent printed yet but installed fine and mesh leveling setup . No probs on xxl lcd. Ill update when iv got a few prints done. I waited til now to get RC6 to see if anyone reported bugs and my RC5 was working great.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Thanks guys,

@WZ9V It should only be a two line edit for Smart XXL over the Full Graphics, enable
    Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    and disable
    Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
    @TstarkEngineering Everyone looking at this is of value and helps the community in general.

@digitalsolo Let's just hope it was a bad read from the SD card and nothing more

@WADZOQUADZ I am liking RC6 more and more. Seems less finicky than previous RC's. A lot of the small nitpicks seem to be gone too.

WZ9V likes this.
  11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I will probably give this a shot on my modded out robo this weekend if I have time now that its running again. I want to try it for mesh leveling really.

12. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

With XXL LCD you must also comment out reverse menu direction. Only full graphics LCD its enabled.

//#define REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION

WZ9V likes this.
  13. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Thanks WADZOQUADZ. I had already done what WheresWaldo suggested but I did not know about that setting.

14. digitalsolo

digitalsolo New Member

I did a few short prints to check on the "hang" behavior. No further issues. I'm pretty confident in saying it was a bad slicer save; S3D was crashing and misbehaving on my printer PC (it's just a little Intel Atom box) and I think it puked on the generation. So far 0 issues with RC6.

15. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

I just uploaded RC6. Mesh level works better than RC5, i.e. no longer dragging hot end over glass during manual mesh level). Otherwise, no noted changes as yet.

I manual mesh level using a 0.100 mm metal shim (just barley any contact between hotend and glass), 1st layer set to 90%, and "Global G-Code Offsets" of -0.08mm for Z axis.

The configuration.h file has a few changes from RC5, but otherwise standard changes from github for Robo

Again, RC6 appears to be working on my Robo

16. TstarkEngineering

I'm having troubles with all z offsets. I've tried moving from crazy -1.0 all the way to positive +1.0 and it's not changing. Yes I said 1.0. This is on all rcs. Any ideas why?

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Are you using MESH or ABL? Did you erase all EEPROM first then try to set the Z_Offset. FYI Z_Offset does not work the same in ABL (M851) and MESH (G29 S4 Zn.nn). They are not interchangeable.

18. TstarkEngineering

Tried v2 from robo with no mesh, and rc5 with mesh, run m502 and m500 and still no luck

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I can't help you with V2 from Robo (waste of time as far as I am concerned) nor with V1 (stick with it if you want Official Robo firmware). I have not used Marlin 1.0.0 on my Robo since Marlin developers started working on 1.0.2 (very buggy). I have focused all my attention on Marlin 1.1.0.

MESH does not use M565 nor M851 for Z_offset at all, that is probably why it doesn't work! In fact it never looks at any of that stuff. You perform your MESH procedure then and only then if you need to offset Z you can issue a G29 S4 Zn.nn command to move the head slightly closer -Zn.nn or further away +Zn.nn from the bed.

20. TstarkEngineering

Thank you. That must be why, I will try that when I get home...opps thanks for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.