1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

Mark, I really appreciate you r help here!!! can you explain to me what the numbers mean? I'm not one to just ask someone for the numbers, I would really like to understand what the four numbers mean. I was under the impression that it was only the last number that had an effect on the extrusion amount.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, I actually misspoke. It is not the 800 you need to change.

{80,80,800,406}
    first number is X steps/mm
    second number is Y steps/mm
    third number is Z steps/mm
    fourth number is extruder steps/mm

{X, Y, Z, Ex}

So go less on the 406.
    I am used to mucking with the Z steps among different styles of Robo

3. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

even if I go to something crazy like 230, it is still extruding 175mm... that's why I am so lost

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sorry, I don't have a Titan to experiment with, but the GegsWade fixed over-extrusion with minor tweaks to that number on mine.

Sounds like something is whack. Make sure it is connected correctly (to the RAMPS) otherwise those numbers are meaningless.

5. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

it is reversed on the ramps because it was extruding backwards

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Isn't the 3rd parm the z steps Mark? And Jordan, when you flash/upload the firmware, do you send an M502 and M500. That will reset the EPROM to what the new firmware has.

7. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

no, I guess I missed that in my research... when and how do I do that? thank you!

8. danzca6

After you upload the new firmware, open the gcode command window. Not sure if you are using Cura or MatterControl. Let me know and I can point you to where that is.

9. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

I know where my communication window is on Simlify3D, do I just run the M codes one after another and hen zero the extruder and then run the 100mm test?

10. danzca6

yep, that will do it. Jealous...I haven't made the plunge to S3D yet. haha

11. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

oh man, it made a world of change to my prints!! it was worth every penny!!!! I use these four printers to make parts for end use so I have to have great quality, and this did it. so I'm hoping with the titan and the E3d V6 that I get even better prints, so far I have tested it by reducing my extrusion 60% to make up for the 175mm and the prints are out of this world! I will try wht you suggested and I hope it is the fix!! thank you to all who helped me out!

jordan

12. danzca6

4 robos...and you just joined Wednesday. That's awesome! @WheresWaldo gave me that code to run when I first switched to an EEPROM write enabled version of the firmware. I hit my head against the desk a few times wondering why my changes were not working until I started using those commands each time I flashed the firmware. I hope that it works for you as well.

13. JORDAN MORSE

JORDAN MORSE New Member

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU TO ALL THE GUYS WHO HELPED!

danzca6 likes this.
  14. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Hello Robo Community! I have had my printer for a couple months now and have really enjoyed tinkering with it and thanks to you guys gotten braver and braver and have made my robo better along the way.

I decided to get the v6 (which holy crap prints awesome!) and while it sat on my desk waiting to be installed I talked myself into swapping out the extruder as well. I decided to pick up a Titan and after much reading in this thread and printing out everyone's designs I wasn't really completely happy so I downloaded Mike's plain carriage and started hacking away at it. 6 revisions and a full roll of PETG later I was able to get a pretty cool carriage built for the titan and v6.
    [​IMG]

It turned out pretty well and is printing really good right now.

Here it is installed. I do not have cooling fans in yet. I ruined the 40mm fans i bought which the solder ripped the contact off the boards. I am going to use quick release ducts and fans so I can install 0, 1 or 2 depending on what materials I am printing.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Its so addictive to make tweaks already have a couple small changes I would like to make to the carriage.

I successfully printed flex for the first time since I have had my robo with this setup!

Thank you all for your inspiration and tips!

Edit - Loaded STL and STEP files into Thingiverse

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1549206

#334 Ezra Ehrhard, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    KTMDirtFace and danzca6 like this.
  15. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Post the STL to Thingiverse.

16. danzca6

I love seeing so many solutions to this problem. We have some talented members here. Tinkering is the funnest thing about these hobbies.

17. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I need to hurry up and get to 3 postst so I can publish the link to Thingiverse.

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Even though I have given up on the idea of using the Titan on the Robo (will be using it somewhere else) I appreciate all the work everyone has done on this. A special thanks to @Ezra Ehrhard who uploaded a STEP file as well as the STL to Thingiverse so others can build on his work.

19. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice!. Love the go pro clip for the wire chain mount. thats awesome.

I haven't got around to printing a whole new carriage my quick hackjob simple mount is working really well.
    Still struggling with ninja flex.. I was reading that maybe i have the springs too tight for it. I'm going to try loosening them I had them cranked all the way.

PETG prints great, somehow my oozing is gone too, don't know if that is from changing to the titan or changing the e steps. Whatever happened i no longer get the PETG booger buildup on the nozzle during prints anymore.

#339 KTMDirtFace, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  20. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

It works pretty good you just have to remember to install it low enough so you can actually slide it off.:cool:

I was going to create a version that would work with one of the thingiverse chains that can be printed so people don't have to buy the same chain.