1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Calgary Robo R1 Owner

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Karl Bareham, May 4, 2016.

1. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Hey guys,
    So my printed just arrived at my house so I can't wait to get off work and break into that box. Very excited to do some printing!
    I have 4+ years of 3d modeling experience and I am a 3d modeler/design for a custom control room design/manf. company. I primarily use Autodesk Inventor and have experience with Solidworks and AutoCAD so I am very proficient in my modeling skills.
    I have a big interest in automotives and already plan to be printing various auto accessories such as license plate frames/deletes, gauge pods/mounts, etc.

What are some of the upgrades I should printing right away? I was already planning on printing the feet for the printer as well as some fan ducts to help channel the extruder fan.
    I've heard that some people don't like the MatterControl software for printing, anyone have a preferred software to use instead of this?

Excited to get into the 3d printing game!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Luv SolidWorks. We use it.
    You just need to experiment and see what your filament tolerances are for shrink/swell and you can crank out some spiffy models that just print right up.

3. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

Welcome Karl!

You will enjoy your printer.

I'm in Red Deer

4. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Thanks guys! Any mods you would recommend to start with? I want to start off by doing all the upgrades I can for my Robo.

5. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

Upgrades I would recommend
    Feet
    Filament quick change
    Wire chain

Look for spool holders that are not mounted above Robo. New heat beds are expensive. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

6. josh.2o

josh.2o New Member

Hi I'm from Edmonton if you're looking to do a bit more serious of an upgrade I would highly recommend the e3d v6 and dual fans

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

7. josh.2o

josh.2o New Member

Oh and one more thing a really cool free upgrade is editing your firmware. Here's a quick tutorial

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

8. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Did you have one drop on your bed?

9. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Feet are currently being printed, working on the wire chain as well, at bit nervous for that as I see that you have to disassemble quite a bit to install it.
    Downloaded Arduino and opened it but didn't know what I was doing so I'm saving that for tomorrow to read into it more.
    Is there a preferred fan duct for the Robo hex head? A preferred Z-axis stabilizer?
    I plan to eventually get the E3D head but until I'd like to have a duct for the fan. Looking into getting a second fan as well.

10. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

A few people have had top mounted spools fail and crash down on their heat beds. Me, I had one of my dogs get tangled on a cable and dragged my printer off my desk. :-(

The wire chain mod does not require any disassembly. The newer version just clips around the wires.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use a hatchbox wall mount for both printers. Securely bolted into the studs....10.00 each vs a 80.00 heated bed.

Im sorry i cant offer upgrades for the r1 as i have the r1+, different beast.

Welcome to forum !

12. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Shame about the dog dragging it off :/
    I tried out a couple reel mounts and did not like how they fit on top of the printer so I will mostly likely install a wall mounted system once I move to my new place.
    I'm looking at doing dual 40mm fan mods for my stock hex extruder but there is the flange sticking down which the stock 40mm fan mounts to which blocks the fan dust from clipping onto the carriage. Is there a new carriage I need to print and then move all the parts over or is there someway to remove the flange? I didn't want to take the whole thing apart yet so I was hoping there was an easier solution.

13. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

14. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

I printed this black widow fan mount out and it works wonderfully, especially the mount for the small fan for the hotend.
    I've tried to print the fan ducts 3 times now and every time I get about 75% through, it ends up breaking my part free from the bed and dragging it around while stringing all over. May just have to better adhere the bed I think.

15. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

I use glue stick and run my bed at 68 for PLA. Works great.

16. Karl Bareham

Karl Bareham New Member

Alright thanks! I'll give that a try, I was only setting my bed to 50.
    I have been using hairspray for adhesive, haven't ever tried a glue stick, do you find that method works the best?

17. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

I've been using this method since I got my printer in December. Tried hairspray but it was messy.

Ya with glue stick you have to clean even 3-4 prints. I just use paper towel and hot water. Cleans up quick. Finish off with a wipe of W index.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can do PLA with a bed at room temp so don't get hung up on that.
    The thing that affects first layer adhesion the most is getting the first layer laid down correctly.

https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/tagged/first-layer