1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Pausing print from LCD need to lift Z

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WZ9V, May 15, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

When I do a pause from the LCD, it pauses the print as expected but I would like it to also move the extruder up a few mm so as not to melt the spot where it stopped. Is there an option I can enable to do that?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some of the controllers have controls for the Axis and you could use that to directly move the extruder around, but be careful when you resume it needs to be back where it was.

http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Smart_Controller

"Further more all actions like calibration, axes movements can be done by just using the rotary encoder on the Smart Controller"

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yeah, I tried that and discovered that it does not remember where it was the hard way. Guess I got spoiled by Smoothie where it remembers where you were and then automatically moves back to that spot. Guess I need to dive into the code, I'd like it to pause and then move the extruder up. On resume I'd like it to move back into position and start printing again. This would make it much simpler to do a filament change using the LCD. The way it currently is I get a melted spot by the time I can navigate to a new menu and move Z.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can reprogram some of the LCDs (via firmware) to add/remove/tweak what is available.
    Good luck with that, Since @Ziggy moved on I am not sure anyone here has done much along those lines.

[he has been working with the Marlin firmware devs so there is that]

5. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

If I get it working, I'll post it.

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

In turns out what I was looking for is in the Tune menu as Change Filament. It uses M600 which reverses the filament 100mm and then moves it forward until you hit the button again to stop it. Once that is done it resumes print where it left off as long as you didn't accidentally move the carriage while loading the filament.

Forgot to mention you need to uncomment line 509 in configuration_adv.h
    #define FILAMENTCHANGEENABLE // was commented out, feature is experimental

#6 WZ9V, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nice work.

8. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I would also adjust the X and Y locations to somewhere easier to get to than the default 3,3 I put X at 110 and left Y at 3