1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How To: Cura 15.04 Setup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike Kelly, Jan 9, 2015.

1. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

nvm did a fresh install and everything is working correctly. Now need to get the right z offset so the bottom layer prints correctly

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are a few people advocating using a 0.0 mm first layer height, I do not share the same view, get the z offset correct and you can use normal heights for all layers and still have good adhesion as well as properly sized prints (at least height wise).

3. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

spent some time last night printing a small print to adjust certain aspects of cura and was able to get the z offset just to the right height. Almost ran out of filament(4inch left) before I hit the right settings. Put new in tonight and reprint to double check.

Is the only way to print from the sd card slot on the robo3d with cura to save the gcode as auto0 and turn the printer on?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes, but you should consider getting an LCD controller, either the 20 x 4 style or the Full Graphics, both replace the SD card slot with their own and have a menu for you to choose the file you want to print.

5. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

Would it be best to get the lcd controller from robo or are there other options that are compatible with the printer?

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Reality is, they all come from China, use whatever vendor you feel comfortable with, Some use Amazon, some PrintedSolid.com. I was comfortable buying from Banggood and spent $10.00 on the Full Graphics (I had a points to redeem). They all plug in the same way and they all display the same information.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ditto. I got one from @Printed Solid and one from BangGood (different models, but still).
    One is the Discount controller and the other the FullGraphic one.
    Just depends on what you think you need to see/do using the LCD panel.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

10. danzca6

wow...those are cheap. Nice.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 I have the Full Graphics one from Banggood, other than having to wait two weeks for delivery to the US East Coast. It was identical to all those on Amazon and other US based vendors at a substantial savings. And you know I am all about savings, otherwise I wouldn't have done the cheap lead screw upgrade or using the self-aligning self-lubricating bearing mods.

12. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

Thank you all for the links. I started running into problems during prints where the computer would freeze or randomly reboot after being on for several days worth of printing. I was able to print from the sd card slot on the robo when using matter control but after getting cura configured correctly I am really liking the way it prints. At this point in time all i really need is to be able to load a file from the sd card and print, nothing fancy

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Simplest choice would be the 20 x 4 smart controller, it has text menus only but has all the functionality of the graphics controller, plus the SD card already included. A big plus is that Marlin firmware is pre-configured for the 20 x 4 display, no editing source files recompiling and reflashing.

The 20 x 4 also is known as the 2004 LCD Smart Controller, the Reprap LCD smart controller. The XXL LCD smart controller is just a physically bigger screen on the 2004 controller, same controller, same text menus.

The are nearly all sold without a case, but Thingiverse has so many variants of printable cases you could probably put the controller in a new case every day for a year and not have printed them all.

14. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

Hello,
    Does anyone happen to know the machine print head specifications? I want to do print one at a time mode but I cannot find those numbers.

15. danzca6

#175 danzca6, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  16. JustinRF

JustinRF New Member

17. danzca6

No it's just that the built in site search is broken. I just use Google now. Simply put in your search terms followed by a space and "site:community.robo3d.com" without the quotes.

18. Woodrow Collins

Woodrow Collins New Member

Can anyone that has a function cura configuration tell me what settings are on the advanced tab? Specifically the retraction speed and distance? I tinkered with the setting and dont remember the default / value(s).

19. Aaron C.

Aaron C. New Member

Hello,

I am trying to get cura running. I have tried the G code on page 1 and code I have found from a few other sources, but when the printer starts the print it goes to the center of the bed, then to the -X then all the way to -y max and skips the stepper motors.... Makes a lovely sound..... anyone able to help me out on this. I have R1 Plus just bought it friday last week.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Something blocking bed travel. Look under the bed for cables/wires in the way.