1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1 Plus fan noise reduction mod

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CJH, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Cbrown

Cbrown Member

Thank you both, I didn't see it as a problem I was just wondering since most of the pictures I see here have the aluminum.

2. ProfessorPinky

I have the R1 ABS + PLA model but I believe the fan mounts and placement for the R1 Plus are the same. I would like to get rid of the noise that I believe is being produced by what seems to be the PSU fan.

I flipped the PSU over and the noise is reduced until the hotend or the heatbed starts to heat up.
    I am contemplating cutting a hole into the bottom cover or completely removing the bottom cover to add larger fans far the PSU and the RAMPS but I am at a loss on how to mount them. I have looked at Robo 3D R1 60mm Ramps cooling fan adapter - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1446583 and can do that or similar for both the PSU and RAMPS. Or for the RAMPS I can probalby figure something out using MOTHER OF ALL FAN BRACKETS - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:166045 but for the PSU there doesn't seem to be enough room inside the PSU metal housing to get the brackets around the PCB, nor around the outside of the actual PSU housing.

I have three 120mm x 25mm, one 80mm x 25mm fans, and five 40mm x 10mm (two are going to be parts cooling fans). I have 20mm riser feet now and can print taller feet if needed.

Has anyone come up with a solution to either of these?

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's the fan in the powersupply you can remove it and replace with a quiet fan. I think they are 60x60 but measure before you buy.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. ProfessorPinky

Yes that is one of the fans. Problem with replacing the fan is that all of the fans that are either 60mm x 15mm or 60mm x 20mm don't seem to be reviewed as silent or quite as the are marketed to be. All the known silent fans are 60mm x 25mm which I don't believe will fit without modification. It seems as if it will hit a small transformer if using anything over 22mm.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe noctura has a very quiet fan. Not silent but if it was it probably wouldn't push enough air.

Mine isn't very loud in my opinion so maybe yours is just failing if it's crazy loud?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. ProfessorPinky

The noise issue I have is when a job finishes and the printer sits idle with all the fans running for hours in the middle of the night. I think some of the fan noise after the heaters go off is the stock hotend fan. I plugged in the E3D V6 fan and that seems to be much quieter, so that may help once I get that installed.

#27 ProfessorPinky, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is the extruder fan or the parts fan (which should be off when done) the RAMPS cooling fan or the power supply fan.
    :)

9. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

No kidding. Got two 40's because y'all suggested it...I don't even know if the darn thing is on half the time...partially expecting my Ramps to melt as I am watching the first layer :)

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

They are pricey for a reason thats for sure lol

GAmbrosio likes this.
  11. ProfessorPinky

The parts fan goes off but the hotend/extruder fan comes on as soon as the power switch is turned on and stays on after the print is completed. The RAMPS fan stays on but is near silent at all times. I have replaced the RAMPS with a Sunon fan. The power supply fan is fairly quite while idle but speeds up once the hotend and/or the heated bed start heating. The fan noise is not screeching, grinding, or clicking. It just sounds like a fast moving fan.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Slap a noctura in there. It will be whisper quiet like your ramps fan :)

GAmbrosio likes this.
  13. ProfessorPinky

Maybe I didn't look hard enough or looked in the wrong places but I could not find a 60mm x 15mm or 60mm x 20mm Noctua fan.

14. ProfessorPinky

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as i know us plus owners have the exact same power as those that use the r1.

16. Jordan Maller

Jordan Maller New Member

do you know if this is still true about the fan always being on? i have an R1+ and there is a setting for when you want the fan to start.

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jordan Maller Two different fans, the fan on the hotend has to run all the time, that is the one that keeps the filament from melting all the way back up the hotend during use, it is the very small fan that faces sideways. The parts cooling fan is the one that faces down and can be controlled depending on your slicer settings.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

To be fair, the hotend cooling fan doesn't have to be in all the time when the printer is on. Only when the hotend temperatures are above a certain value. As you know, I did a mod awhile back that turns the hotend fan on when the hotend temp reaches 50C or above and will turn off after cooking below that point. Helps with idle nose a ton. I also did the same with the ramps cooling fan with that mod. So when the motors are idle and not heating things like the bed or hotend, that fan is also off. Just an option to keep in mind when trying to reduce noise.