1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Building a new PC so had to mod some parts.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, May 9, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Going to replace my Gen 2 Core i7 with a new Gen 6 Core i7-6700K, so instead of trying to fit it all in this mITX case, I will just move this PC to other duties. I decided on doing a complete new build with water-cooling and a few case mods. Since most PC case companies don't supply CAD files, I am having to reverse engineer all the dimensions from the original parts.

This project isn't an extreme use of my 3D printing skills, but it fits the category.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro Drive Bay Locking Mechanism

First up was to remodel the locking mechanism to allow it to be 3D printed.
    MC5 Drive Bay Lock Outer v1 - Thing.png
    This is the outer section and snaps in place in the case just like the original.

MC5 Drive Bay Lock Insert v4 - Thing.png
    Here is the locking slide, it matches the OEM version and must be printed in two parts if you do not want to use supports. That is how I printed it.

Both files are uploaded to Thingiverse along with STEP files.

Robert Foreman likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro Drive Caddy

Wanted the toolless drive caddies in something other than black. Must use the small rubber surrounded locating pins from the original caddies. As usual I also included a STEP file.

MC5 Tool-less Drive Tray v2.png

Files are located here

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Case Badge

I want to print this out in Copperfill so I had to model it. I cheated a bit on this one as I downloaded a vector drawing of the logo and just scaled it to match the original part size, The extruded the resulting sketch to create the badge. Easy way and no measuring or finding typefaces, etc.

MC5 Case Badge v2.png

STL and STEP files are found here.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro I/O Panel

Since I am adding a fan controller as well as lighting control I needed an I/O panel that could accommodate a few momentary switches. I did not want to mod the original panel so I had to take everything apart (included some pieces double-sided taped together). Modeled the I/O with all the original holes as well as a blank panel for custom modding.

MC5 IO Plate Original v1.png
    OEM version with all holes in their proper orientation.

MC5 IO Blank Plate v1.png
    Blank I/O panel for custom modding.

All files as well as STEP are up on Thingiverse here.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Accessory Box

Cooler Master included all their extra screws, standoffs, zip ties and other items in a small cardboard box that sits in a drive bay. It is secured in place by a drive caddy. I modified it slightly and remodeled it so it could be printed on my Robo.

MC5 Accessory Box v5.png
    The entire box. The top is a friction fit and there are two notches, one on each side, to help remove the lid.

MC5 Accessory Box Bottom v5.png
    The inside of the box for all your screws, zip ties and other small items. All in one convenient location.

STL and STEP files are on Thingiverse here.

#7 WheresWaldo, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  8. 3D Printer Man

:)

hi1 likes this.
  9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I like how you "had" to mod some parts. Especially the cardboard screw/accessory holder tray. I like it though.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Of course he did. Clearly.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So, I have done both printing myself and having it done by Shapeways on a couple of parts. I have everything I need except the CPU, which is coming when Intel finally ships the Retail Edge Summer Event rewards. The PC is replacing a 5 year old Core i7-2600 running at 3.4GHz.

This is what I am building:
    • Slightly modded Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Case
    • Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-6700K
    • AMD R9 390 until VEGA based boards arrive in Q4 or Q1-2017
    • 32GB DDR4-2800 RAM
    • 500GB Samsung SSD (boot drive and application installation location)
    • 3TB 7200 rpm HDD (data storage)
    • Corsair H100i-v2 Water Cooler
    • A whole lot of case fans, motherboard controlled
    Of course there are a few other modifications, such as lengthening and shortening cables as appropriate to ease wire management, lights in various places.

@KTMDirtFace - Don't judge, as a matter of fact, my small mods drew the attention of Cooler Master and they asked me if I wanted to join their Maker community.

KTMDirtFace and Geof like this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

I was not judging. I think its all cool and I like it. Was making a joke that it "had" to be done, yes it did because you have a 3d printer, random stuff has to be done!

Code:
    Corsair H100i-v2 Water Cooler

I had one of those once on my last build, not the V2.. took it out of the box went to install it I just hardly bumped one of the tubes and it launched the tube off shot coolant in my face and all over my celing.. Like a yellow water grenade went off in my face. Thank god it wasn't in my PC. After some back and forth with newegg they finally let me return it and I bought a coolermaster cooler instead no problems since. It may have been a fluke but it was pretty ridiculous at the time.

Not going to wait a week and go with the new 1080?

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not an nVidia fan at the moment, their self inflicted drama with a paper release that they say wasn't paper and the fact that their MSRP was not real and we likely won't see a $599 design for quite a while, the added insult that the FE cards (reference design) is $100 more than MSRP has left a sour taste in my mouth for all things nVidia. Besides I only have so much money to spend with my Shapeways monthly revenue. Just can't justify a $700 video card.

I know you were joking, so was I. ;)

My daughter has a V2, my nephew has a V2 that he got when they released both of which have no problems. I am not real worried. My V2 is installed already, just waiting on the Core i7 (coming direct from Intel on a special deal). Plus I am short one locking SATA cable.

14. KTMDirtFace

The V1 had good reviews I think i just got a lemon. It was real weird :)

I don't understand what a "paper" release is.

I currently have a gtx 970 and it was a great buy. But I have 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor and I also have HTC Vive..so the extra horsepower of the 1080 has me real interested. If I didn't have either of those things it would be complete overkill for 16:9 or 16:10 monitors. ( 1080p ish ..4k diffrent story )

PS I have a really hard time going back to 1080p monitors at work.. I have 3x 1920x1200 monitors at work.. and I prefer my Single 3440x1440 curved monitor at home. Its sooo nice. Fusion 360 I can do on half of the screen with a web browser open on the other side and still have extra room.

#14 KTMDirtFace, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

"Paper Release" - Having a big announcement for a product launch with press and demonstrations and telling people the pricing and what you are providing, but not telling them when they can actually get product or purposely 'lying by omission' leaving people with the conclusion that product is available when it will actually be weeks or months before consumers can purchase.

I am using a UHD 43" IPS monitor on my desktop and I typically use about 1/3 of the screen for Fusion 360 then browser and a few other small apps on-screen at the same time. 40-43" at 4k means no scaling and very comfortable menu and icon sizes at about a 36" viewing distance. Any games I play, and that is not many, are more immersive without going to a multi-monitor setup like I had before (2 Dell 24" IPS). At 43" it does not fill 100% of my peripheral vision, but it fills most of it.

I am coming from a GTX 760 so anything will be a performance gain GPU wise, I was never bottlenecked CPU wise even though it is a gen 2 Core i7.

Fun fact, my daughter and I decided to take inventory of our home PC's and we found out we have one PC from every gen Core i7 except gen 5. Two desktops with 1st and 2nd gens, a laptop with a 3rd gen, gaming desktop with gen 4, and I am just waiting for my gen 6 to finish up this build.

16. KTMDirtFace

~40" 4k monitor is probably pretty sweet! like you say thats a great size for no scaling.

I have 3 machines right now. one of them has no video card and a cheap AMD processor and a tiny case. but its in the projector room hooked to a Ceton tv tuner so I use it as my DVR and media server...only problem with that is windows got rid of media center so I dont know what is going to happen to that one once it decides to auto upate to windows 10. ( its on windows 7 )..but honestly I never even look at it it just runs 24/7 recording and whatnot. I use amazon fire tv's with Kodi installed on them as my extenders. Its cool I like it I dont have to pay my cable company a ton of money for a bunch of different room devices I just have the liek $3 a month cable card rental and my cable modem for internet.

Also, I'm still not sure on your "Paper Release".. they announced about 2 weeks ago that it would be avail on May 27th ( today ).. unfortunately they sold out in 9 minutes today.

I'm waiting for EVGA's versions of the 1080.. I don't think it will be to long.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

In the past they nVidia filled the channel with reference designs sold at MSRP. It was so that there were very few shortages on day one. At nearly the same time AIB were also available, not for the GTX 1080. The reference boards are being sold for $100 more than MSRP and relabeled as Founder's Edition cards. It is all marketing and nothing more. And those are in such limited quantities that only people with more money than sense and have the desire to continually hit the F5 key waiting for things to come back into stock are willing to pay this Early Adopter Tax. Not one single card was available on the 27th for MSRP.

Yesterday we saw the announcement of the first cards from MSI, Asus and EVGA. Only Asus announced prices and they all exceeded the MSRP! Not by the nVidia "EAT-Me" price of $699, but still $20 and $40 more than MSRP.

It is too bad that AMD/ATI inflicts itself with so many wounds, there needs to be better competition or nVidia will continue this practice for every release, selling their cards at a premium over their own stated MSRP. But AMD can't seem to build a high end card that doesn't use as much power as a small city. Polaris 10 in the leaked benchmarks so far have nothing that competes with the GTX 1080. Their Vega GPU was a 2017 release and now it is moved forward to Q4-2016, that GPU is what they are building to compete with the GTX 1080, but by then the GTX 1080 Ti will likely be widely available.

On the subject of PC's

I have an Acer Intel Atom box running Linux and Kodi connected to one TV. We have two XBox One's connected to two others, both are running PLEX. I have an old Celeron PC with an Areca RAID card and 8 2TB drives in a RAID 6 running Windows 10 and PLEX Server, as well as NFS shares to all media files that I use only as a server. It runs 24/7/365. We have a family PC with a 1st gen Core i7 that is only used now for web browsing and maintenance of my Robo (Arduino IDE) and OctoPi running Windows 10. My personal PC used for gaming, not so much and CAD mostly is the 2nd gen Core i7 also on Windows 10. All of these PC's are hardwired to a 16 port Netgear smart switch. Internet is provided by a 300Gb cable connection. We also have an AC wireless router, but that is only used for mobile devices and my wife's Chromebook. It takes a lot of time to keep everything updated and running smoothly. Fortunately Windows 10 runs pretty smoothly and other than my personal PC not many applications are installed and/or uninstalled.

The plan is for this new PC to replace my PC and the existing one will be moved into service as the maintainer of the Robo, Eustathios Spider and OctoPi's. The Gen 1 will probably replace the Celeron server. Then it, which has been in service for over 8 years will be dumped (it is really too slow to do anything more than serve files or web-surf), plus it is a full sized ATX board so no place to really put it.

BTW, after using a 43" @ 4K I find it very hard to look at my old Dell 2408's at 1920x1200. It is the perfect size for CAD work and not having the use the entire screen is a bonus. Also going from a dual monitor setup with very thick bezels in the middle to only one screen is wonderful.

Embargos are lifted for all AIB on the 29th so I am sure we will start seeing some real world benchmarks and not genitalia measuring one's we have now.

#17 WheresWaldo, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  18. KTMDirtFace

Yea I run a single 34" LG curved ultra wide 3440x1440 at home so not 4k.. but when I go to work and use 3x 1920x1200 monitors they look like fisher price monitors lol.. I love the single ultra wide.

PS.. This is the video card I will be buying soon as its avail. note how its less than the "Founders/Refrence" card lol that founders price still makes ZERO sense. It would make more sense for Nvidia to sell their founder/refrence card for less.. otherwise who the hell is going to buy it?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6183-KR

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace
    People who will throw out the cooler and use water instead. They always want reference designs because you can get waterblocks for them.

Why not the FTW model, that one has 2 BIOS chips if you are into modding or extreme overclocking. I like the setup of the EVGA, but seriously look at the Asus Strix if you have room in your case, they at least speced the OC and you can download 3D STEP files of the shroud too.

Since I have to wait two more months, I will see what AMD announces at Computex, they livestream on Tuesday @ 10PM EST. Not interested in the RX 480 but if they come out with an RX 490 or 490X then that might be something.

20. KTMDirtFace

I'm sort of an EVGA fanboy at this point. I used to use ATI cards, then 3dfx/voodoo/monster whatever they were. Then Nvidia, and I have stuck with EVGA for the most part. They have lifetime warranty. ( never had a problem with one though )