1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is the E3D v6 upgrade still needed on the R1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KMyers, May 27, 2016.

1. KMyers

KMyers New Member

I have been following the evolution of the Robo3D line of printers for a while and noticed that the most recommended upgrade for users is to upgrade to the E3D hotend. I know the hotend on the first gen Robo3d had problems that caused many users to jump to the E3D hotend. The R1 fixed a lot of the issues by moving to the Hexagon hotend and this was later improved in the R1+. Is it still advisable for R1+ users to move to a E3D?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not until or if you have problems with the Hexagon.
    No need if it is working.

If it breaks (you can't buy parts for it) you will have to replace the entire hotend and that is the time to consider the E3D.
    Or, perhaps, if there is something you can't get working (like flexible filaments). It is easier for those on the E3D, but can be done on the Hexagon.

Home_user and KMyers like this.
  3. KMyers

KMyers New Member

Ok, then I will hold off until it gets to that point. I have only had this for a little over 2 weeks and the current hotend seems to be working fine for me. At the current moment, I don't see myself doing anything with flexible filament but this could change in the future. The most exotic filament I use is wood and carbon fiber which the Hexagon seem to be handling well at the moment

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The original Robo had a J-Head and while fine for PLA and (just) acceptable for ABS it was not workable for many other filaments.
    When they switched to the Hexagon it was a step up. It is still an inexpensive hotend -- one of the lower-end all-metal units, but that is more than adequate in most cases.

5. KMyers

KMyers New Member

I have heard stories that parts of the J-Head were prone to melting when it got too hot.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it had a full-length PTFE liner (cold-zone to hot-zone) and that could be problematic.
    The E3D v6 uses one, but only in the cold-zone. It stops at the heat-break so unless you have other problems you are not melting it.

Geof likes this.
  7. 3D Printer Man

You can contact robo 3d to get a replacement and it is available on amazon.

hi1 likes this.
  8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

The new R1+ works pretty good. Mine tends to clog, which my E3D never does..and clog to where I have to take it off and use a torch to get the clog out. So mine is getting upgraded.

But print with it. till it breaks or annoys you or you feel like spending money lol. Its a fine hotend stock.

Geof likes this.
  9. 3D Printer Man

AS some people mentioned, i think it is kind of an option but I would say that is just luxury. I would like robo to just put it on their printer

10. KTMDirtFace

Yea they should, but it would drive the price up. to what I'm not sure.

11. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

You could also be paranoid like some of us (well, me) and order a replacement hex kit, a couple NEMA17 motors, replacement linear bearings, print spare parts, etc... just in case. ;)

I think the only annoying thing I've had on my R1+ hex head is clogging. I've never been able to retract filament out of the extruder hot if the printer has sat for any period of time before heating. It is guaranteed that I will have to remove the head to clear it out if I want to switch filament. It may annoy enough to eventually switch to the V6.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you...is it?

Sent from my Xtreme Play Tab v2 using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  13. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

*Puts on tin foil hat*

[​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. KTMDirtFace

So I have a friend with a MakerGear M2, and he bought a e3dv6 and hates it... His does what my hexagon does. where filament jams/melts inside the extruder above the hotend making it impossible to remove without dissasembly and running a blow torch on it.

According to E3D its a cooling problem. I haven't seen that issue with mine, or noticed anyone complaining about that on these forums? Hes a VERY smart guy(phd in EE) and tried everything so I'm not sure whats up. I told him to try a bigger fan. He just ordered a Promethius, and i'm going to print a fan holder for him to try a larger fan for his cooling fins. ( since he can't print without it jamming )

I'm way off topic and should have posted a new thread I guess lol.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is behaving that way then they are probably spot on. Heat creep is killing it. Small extruders always have this as a concern.

Could be a weak fan or maybe just on backwards? I am not sure the latter would make a huge difference, but a weak one would.

Geof likes this.