1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X - Idler with Dual Cable Chains for wire management

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ezra Ehrhard, May 23, 2016.

1. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Thingiverse location : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1583484

Hey guys. I originally showed the start of my work in the main titan thread and it was suggested I create a separate thread so it will be easier to locate.

I have been tinkering like crazy with my Robo since I got it a couple months ago. One of the things that bothers me is the wire management. My robo gets squirrely at about 180mm on the z axis and I have had the stepper come unplugged as well as the Z switches. I was looking for a better way to manage all of the cables. I decided to enhance the X - Idler where the stepper mounts to allow for a cable chain to be mounted that will go to the carriage and another that will mount to the floor of the robo and run up the sidewall. This design should allow for the case to be removed easily. I finally have everything printed out and its looking pretty good. I am waiting for some new bearings before I will do the install but I figured its probably now shareable.

I am using the cable chain I modeled and will be using this with YogiG's Titan mount, he has designed a mounting bracket to attach to his carriage. Both the carriage and the bracket are available here and in this thread.

Cable Chain is here.

[​IMG]

In my latest version I have separated the idler from the chain mount due to issues with printing orientation affecting part strength. The chain mount should be printed on its side to ensure that chain connections are strong and flexible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Older version but same idea:
    [​IMG]

Look forward to your feedback!

Ezra

2. Yogi

Yogi Member

Printing out a few test links of your chain right now. Already have the attachment point printed and attached to my carriage. Later today I plan on printing this Idler out, I'm looking forward to a clean solution for the wire chain. The current chain I uses sags and is quite annoying.

Do you plan on making a termination link to mount to the bottom of the Z chain?

3. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Yes. I just havent exactly decided how I want it to mount. I was thinking about doing something like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1105170. I was kind of waiting for everything to print so i could see what would work best. I am printing out my final parts now in PETg.

4. Yogi

Yogi Member

I printed out your idler piece and noticed the holes for the x-rails are ~7.45mm, measuring the rods I'm getting spot on 8mm.

Have you been able to easily press fit them in? Just seems a bit tight and want to be sure it's correct before I get to disassembly.

Thanks!

5. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

It is a super tight fit. I had to tap them in. I would give it some space. I used the X idler from the robo model Mike Kelly posted. Never considered the measure to be wrong. I'll update the model. I actually did something a bit different if you are interested. I made the cable mount fit the stock idler. I was getting some binding on the x axis so I reverted to the stock piece while I figured it out. New piece is same concept just uses stock idler.

#5 Ezra Ehrhard, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  6. Yogi

Yogi Member

Yes, very interested. I would much rather have a mount that adapts to the stock piece.

Sounds awesome.

The one I printed of yours came out very nice, rock solid mount and design. I was considering a remix to push the x chain mount slightly higher for my machine, seems to need another 1/4" to work well with my carriage.

7. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I'll add it to thingiverse today update here once it's done.

8. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Here is the version to attach to stock Idler. I am drilling pilot holes and 10mm screws to mount it. Its uploading to Thingiverse now.
    SockIdler_ChainMount2.jpg
    SockIdler_ChainMount.jpg

#8 Ezra Ehrhard, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Mike Kelly and danzca6 like this.
  9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I like the modification to make it its own part that can then attach to the existing x carriage end. Not sure if you will have to lengthen the wires with this design though. You are coming in off the X and then doing a 180 through the bracket back up and then another 180 in the chain link back down. When you have it all buttoned up and raise and lower it to the max and min extremes of the Z you might find yourself a bit short. Great project though and I am very interested to follow your progress. Tinkering is one of my favorite things about owning a 3d printer.

10. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

The wire to the carriage components are plenty long but there is almost certainly going to be some wires that may need lengthening. My stock wires to the idler on the motor side aren't long enough as it is and the motor disconnects near the z axis limit. I was actually planning on cleaning up the wiring anyway, lengthening and shortening where appropriate. Bought JST and 2 pin locking connectors to make everything

11. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

You aren't kidding. I started shopping for a second printer a month after getting the robo. I wish I had the time to build from scratch. May go Taz 6 or bigbox instead though.

12. 3D Printer Man

I would be nice if it was flexible filament.

13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Both of which are completely open source. If you can figure out the frame or some alternate, the rest is down hill. If you have access to a laser you can make the BB frame from their files. May not save much money, but it would be a lot of fun building.

14. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I thought about that. The kit BB takes about 10-12 hours to assemble according to Tom so it will be a nice project regardless. I'm really liking the Taz right now though.

15. Yogi

Yogi Member

I made a remix of your chain mount and posted it if that's alright with you.

I just tweaked it to be a friction fit over the stock bracket, and it fits very snugly. I don't see it being any sort of issue coming loose.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1598253

Ezra Ehrhard likes this.
  16. 3D Printer Man

I will be print that!

17. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Cool. I like it.