1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anybody designed a reversed the X carriage?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WZ9V, May 31, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Has anyone done up a reversed X-Carriage so the the filament change stuff is in front and the stepper in back?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I don't have the printer in front of me, but theoretically, that should work. Just rotate the greg's wade assembly 180 degrees. Just make sure the wiring is out of the way.

3. danzca6

the only thing to make sure of is that it travels to max Z without hitting the top dome of the case.

EDIT:
    Oh...and you might need to adjust your x carriage endstop. I think the gear might stick out too far on that side.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Might be easier to just turn the printer around :)

5. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

It's a pain to line up power switch filament screws and led all on the same side. I'm going forward to hearing how this works out.

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Hmm, may just have to get better at changing the filament. Or switch to a Titan and E3D once that gets worked out.

7. 3D Printer Man

I am making models I this it is petty easy.

8. danzca6

What?

9. 3D Printer Man

So you can reorant the exturder, and print some parts to hold the fans and other.

10. danzca6

Have you tried this mod? I've heard good things about making filament changes easier

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:889541

Geof likes this.
  11. Yogi

Yogi Member

This is the entire reason I am switching over to a Titan extruder and designed my own carriage to make it as compact as possible and keep the front of the extruder towards the front of the printer. Currently tinkering with relocating the cable chain elsewhere as well. A few ideas, just need to see if they fit and if I can make them work with the carriage as it stands.

In the end I just want it to be reliable and clean. I hate reaching around cable chains and messing with having things backwards when I want to change filament.

12. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I have not, but I've been watching it. I'm still limited to PLA (and sometimes not even that) until I get my new bed heater going.

13. Robert Foreman

I am working on converting mine to a MK10 hot end and feeder set up like what is on the Flashforge Creator Pro. As a mater of fact I am going to take a spare extruder from my FFCP and modify the X-Carriage on my Robo 3d. We will see how it goes. I want to get rid of the wades setup.:)