1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adding my thanks.

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by TerryAns, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TerryAns

TerryAns New Member

Hello.

I have had my printer for nearly a month now and i wanted to add my thanks to the community.

This has been a use\fix experience. I bought a refurbished R1 but as i told one of the reps it felt like i got the '"runt" of the litter. Firstly having to clean the exterior. Next it trying to grind the gears when X is trying to go home. (Screw for the x axis home not even long enough.) The horrible squeaking noise from the z-axis (Finding the right non threaded rod out of socket and a brace from thingaverse has helped.) But according to one of the techs this is normal in shipping. One of the z-axis limit switch wires falling off twice. And Mattercontrol apparently lost the z offset causing pits in the first layer. all this in 30 days. But a lot of the time i could find the answer here with a little digging.

But anyway. I appreciate the help though this time. Maybe finally i will get the parts printed for it's enclosure.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Welcome to owning a Robo3D printer.

When you want to print with something actually reliable, look into the Wanhao i3 and it's clones. Because the claims about shipping being responsible for 100% of the problems you're listing are BS.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And in the mean time we (as a community of Robo users) are more than willing to help you get up and running.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dont read to much into this, its an opinion not fact. The robo, for me, is a very reliable printer.

Please let us know if we can help you in anyway.

GAmbrosio and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I got a Wanhao 4s and I frequent the google groups for them and they (and I) have just as much if not more tales of horror and misery. But they all band together and help each other out. I think it doesn't matter much what brand (within reason) you get there will be issues.
    I got a refurbish robo3d r1 and had no real major issues that I could not handle or get help on.

Yes there will always be the exceptions.

GAmbrosio, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the 4s is the same as the i3.

Every single model Robo sells is plagued with quality control issues (if you look at the complaints between this forum and the various Facebook 3d printing groups that mention it). I've had both the R1 and R1+ and spent the cost of yet a third Robo in replacement parts before giving up on them.

Additional cost I invested in the Wanhao i3 clone I have? $5 for some M3 lock-nuts to replace the wing nuts on the bed leveling system so that once it was leveled it would stay leveled. It prints everything I throw at it without blinking.

Meanwhile, the R1 came apart after 2 months of decent printing (starting with a glass bed that shattered while cooling down) and the R1+ never printed a single thing successfully without some electronic part or other failing (ranging from the extruder stepper to the Arduino to the power supply to the remaining axis steppers in turn).

#7 daniel871, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

If you read carefully I was saying that I went to the google groups for the Wanhao. They lump them all together in that forum so I read about all the Wanhao printer models.

I am not complaining about any brand or model. I am sorry you had such a bad run. I would complain too if I had all those problems and it was new but after time I fully expect something to break. I run my robo almost 14 hrs a day when I am working on something.

GAmbrosio, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  9. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Other than having a spool fall off of a top mounted holder (bad design) and cracking the glass. I've had very good results with my R1+ the only thing I've HAD to do was level out the X-axis. I've been doing a ton of other stuff but none was strictly necessary. I think its a decent design for its price point. My only gripe is that the specs are a bit misleading when it comes to the heated bed. Most heated beds cover the entire claimed volume, theirs does not. Easy enough to work around though.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  10. TerryAns

TerryAns New Member

Don't get me wrong. What the printer has printed successfully has been mind blowing and i have felt easily entertained watching it build. While i know it is easy to overlook things in assembly i guess i didn't expect to get a crash course in how to fix it out of the box. As far as opinions and facts. I do appreciate the input. we each have opinions and if the time comes to replace the Robo i will keep it in mind.

11. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Daniel had some bad luck with the two Robos including one he won as a draw/raffle. Bummer. But he seems to pitch the Wanhao a lot on the ROBO forum. Just find that a tad bit odd. It is as if to say, yes, sorry you have problems is why you are here looking for help. Get a Wanhao and all your problems will go to Fairyland...:)

As indicated, not sure if that's true. I seen similar issues that people experience with Robos with all types of FFF printers. The fact is that the tech is not quite mainstream- this is not the 23rd Century with:"Tea, Earl Grey. Hot," quite yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear tour keeping your chin up. I am sorry you had to do all that work but the bright side is when you need to do maintenance on your machine youll already know where everything is and how it works :)

13. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

Funny, it may be subliminal, but I was considering a second printer and looked at the Wanhao i3 and 4s :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  14. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I do agree with him in some regard, both of my robo's came broken out of the box ( not missaligned or something, but broken parts ).. They could use some better QC. But thanks to the forum here they were fixable and are reliable. The only time they are not reliable for me is when I'm modding them out which I can't seem to stop doing for no real good reason other than its fun.

I wouldn't own two of them and I wouldn't have sold my other two printers if I didn't like them. their QC just needs some work I think.

My first printer was a Leapfrog Creatr, and while nothing was broken out of the box the thing NEVER worked no matter how many mods or fixes I tried..and their community is no where near as good or popular as this.

#14 KTMDirtFace, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

QA is something EVERYONE needs more of :). I work in a production setting and man just slow down and check your work lol.

I do like following your mod progress so use that as an excuse lol gotta keep us guessing what's next and see how it works!

I had very good luck with my printer showing up and being functional I suppose but man those shipping guys lol.

16. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Well the first one came with more than shipping problems, it came with broken Y belt holder, what looked like real cheap plastic.. They seem to have fixed that I don't see anyone posting about that anymore.

The first one(R1) also had one of the main wires not even screwed into the powersupply, the screw was tight the wire was sitting on top of it hanging out, also the big plug underneath the case was half unplugged.( possibly shipping? who knows )

The second one (R1+) just came with a broken in half bed...I really have no idea how that happend, but robo gave me a new bed within a week and its been trouble free since.

Geof likes this.
  17. TerryAns

TerryAns New Member

I also work at a production facility with pretty strict Quality requirements But still minor things seem to slip through the cracks. Anyway. so far things have been working good now for the most part. I"m just going to chalk it up to gaining experience if it starts acting up again.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is the correct attitude for 3D printing at this stage.
    It is not like document printing :) Not yet.

Geof likes this.