1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Seems like they switched over at some point early production. When I emailed E3D they just said they changed the tool used to make it so there is some variance. I pointed them to the that pic and asked more questions around it and haven't heard back yet. I don't think they are doing a replacement. I know you can buy the newer style gear by itself for about $15 from filastruder. I guess if you are having issues, then contact them. Maybe they will work out a replacement. There are a lot of factors if having issues and many have had great success with the original profile. Tension and gear alignment accounts for a lot with the Titan. I wouldn't get too worried about it since e3d is pretty responsive to helping with issues.

They also are coming out in June with a slight change in the idler lever to work better with the 3mm filament.

2. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I wont worry too much about it. Until it starts to shred at the end of the 12 hour print! :) Mine seems to mostly work fine. I got mine from Printed Solid, if they offer a replacement/upgrade I may take them up on it.

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I think I have the old one, I don't get filament grinding though mine works great.

I turn the tension screw about 2 turns from full loose and it works great. If you crank it all the way down it grinds and clicks and doesn't work right...in the case of ninja flex it just wont feed when its cranked down.

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think it will be an issue for everyone. Just something to be aware of.

The original design was such a thin track that if for some reason the track tolerance is a bit too forward or back it could change where in the groove the teeth contact the filament. The newer design ensures a better chance for a uniform contact area. That's just my theory on the issue.

5. KTMDirtFace

Oh yea I was super anal/ocd about lining it up right haha. and because you cant line it up while its installed I moved it about 10 times before I got it how I wanted it. ( I guess i'm talking about the lower part that attaches to the motor, I messed with that for awhile.. I could see how a slight tolerance could possibly muck up the hobbed deal on the main gear..luckily mine seems fine.

Oh I just looked at mine and I have the older one.. its working fine though.

I imagine the new one will be here this week so I'm going to print out of couple peoples mount/carriage designs here. I'll have to mod them to work with my stuff but it seems like everyone has provided .stp files which is fantastic.

#385 KTMDirtFace, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  6. KTMDirtFace

@TstarkEngineering
    , do you have any files besides the .stl? I want to try your mount/carriage but I use diffrent bearings so I need to modifiy it a bit..and modifiying .STL's sucks. I only found the .stl on thingiverse.

7. KTMDirtFace

Well time to upgrade my second machine lol to Titan and E3DV6. I did not buy another motor but I did already have extra of the self aligning bushings. So I'm printing basically mike kellys carriage modified for my bushings, with my titan mount slapped onto it. stock motor will face forward.

I printed one but my tolerances were too tight, printing another now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  8. Yogi

Yogi Member

Cool stuff.

Happy to say my Titan order just went in, trying to source a fast shipping 20-25mm deep stepper now.

9. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

You can get the 20mm from Amazon but it requires an adapter if you want to use existing wiring. It has wiring going directly into motor, not a connector. I ended up ordering both, I got the 25mm from stepperonline and it came super fast like 2-3 days. Shipping was a bit higher than I would have liked but I am happy with the 25mm motor.

10. Yogi

Yogi Member

I saw that 20mm one on Amazon prime but the shaft is pretty short, only 17mm I think. I was wondering if that was sufficient for the idler on the Titan.

11. KTMDirtFace

I'm using this one from amazon, but its been out of stock ever since I got it like a month or so ago? I havn't seen it back in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Short-Bipolar...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Shaft is plently long for the titan I think the drive gear is set pretty far back on mine too. with 3mm spacer for my mount. Says its 20mm in the description.. been printing with it on my titan mount for awhile now with no problems.

Oh.. just looked it will be back in stock on the 5th. It works but you need this as well because it has no plug on it.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/B6B-PH-K-S(LF)(SN)/455-1708-ND/926615

I soldered the wires onto the digigey plug, drenched it in hotglue and then shrinkwrapped it. Has been working great. I would probably get the 25mm motor instead if I did it again though for convenience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#391 KTMDirtFace, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  12. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Does that motor provide enough torque? I have noticed the 25mm gets super hot (enough to soften and indent the PLA mount i printed). I wasnt sure if it was because I was stressing out the motor or if it was just normal behavior. I had to reprint PETg parts for the extra heat durability.

13. Yogi

Yogi Member

Wow, good to know. I ended up ordering the 25mm from stepper-online. I think I might look into a cooling solution if it gets that hot!

14. lafaspot

lafaspot New Member

I uploaded 2 videos with the final e3dv6 with titan on my rob3d r1 plus here printing ninjaflex

Photos and videos of the process :
    https://goo.gl/photos/sLtrLjcWhMTpojGQ9

I decided not to change the old extruder. So I built a new one from scratch without changing the firmware of the printer at all. I reverted the extruder connector on the board so that extruder direction was correct, but that was the only change i made inside the printer, I use the same connectors has the original head, so I can put back the old one whenever needed.

I run PID tunning the hotend and bed and got these values

hot end pid tunning
    M301 P17.99 I1.16 D69.84

bed pid tunning
    M304 P138.96 I27.19 D177.57

set extruder steps to 453
    M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z800.00 E453.00

and stored these in printer ROM with
    M500

check current settings with
    M503

and you can restore the saved values from printer ROM with
    M501

You can use the simplify3d gcode console to type these commands, turn verbose on first to be easier to see what you are doing

You will need these parts, at least that is what I used:

E3D V6, Titan Extruder and Robo3d sensor
    https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/e3d-titan-extruder
    https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/e3d-hot-end-kit-v6
    https://printedsolid.com/collections/accessories-and-upgrades/products/screw-on-m3-stud-thermistor

810-2GT-6 Timing Belt
    http://www.amazon.com/2GT-Belt-Timi...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301940880660?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

12 LM8UU Linear Bearings
    http://www.amazon.com/Sprite-Scienc...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

10Pairs 13cm Long JST SM 2Pins Plug Male to Female
    http://www.amazon.com/10Pairs-13cm-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01

Assorted Cable Ties
    http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6235-A..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=027C4A8W02PN5M54PQBJ

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. KTMDirtFace

Awesome. and wow your printer is so clean! lol... mines got dust, random filament junk, etc everywhere.

I don't understand how you didn't have to change the E steps in the firmware though? the stock one has a different ratio?. I had to reduce my E steps significantly from stock. Although I'm not using the stock motor on that titan.

I am currently installing a new carriage so I can put a new E3D, Titan on my other robo3d.. I will have to swap my stock motor over from the stock carriage. But I will still have to change esteps in the firmware I think?

#395 KTMDirtFace, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  16. KTMDirtFace

Hmm i never paid any attention to it because its been printing fine.. I just touched it with my finger during a print and its HOTTER THEN HELL. Lol. Like super hot. but my mount is based of Thomas Sanladerer youtube channel he used the same motor as me..so there is nothing near it to melt. Other than maybe the 3mm spacer I made but that was in PETG.

My second robo3d is getting a titan, but i'm using the stock motor on that one and a carriage with integrated mount so I will compare heat.

Now i'm worried about how hot this thing is It didn't burn me instantly but I cannot touch my finger on it at all really.

#396 KTMDirtFace, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  17. KTMDirtFace

So I just "touched" my xaxis stepper and its hot as hell too. So now I'm not too worried about the 20mm stepper thats been printing fine on my titan for a month.

My IR thermometer pens batteries are dead or I would get a real temp.

18. lafaspot

lafaspot New Member

Use the M92 and M301 I described on the post and M500 to store settings on ROM.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  19. KTMDirtFace

OOOPS, this design won't work, there is one mount screw that must go on BEFORE putting the E3D on..which makes this mount impossible to mount.

doh!

20. Yogi

Yogi Member

So those who have successfully used a Titan:

What am I missing? No matter what tension setting I try the Titan won't reliably extrude. This is trying with ABS.

- No turns on tension screw: Extrudes fine if just in the air, when printing it doesn't have enough to push the filament and grinds.
    - 2-3 turns on screw: Extrudes seemingly ok-ish for around 5 seconds and then it starts to slip on the filament once a rotation. The black gear is still turning so the motor is working fine, but it just doesn't grab filament. Generally only once per revolution does it slip.
    - 3-4 turns: extruds a bit better but starts to shred faster and slip more.
    -Cracked down on tensioner: shred city