1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual Extruder and Before/After cooling installed

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Marquis Johnson, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Optimized-20160611_233026.jpg I used @Mike Kelly 's dual extruder carriage but I didn't have the ability to program the fans and keep the second hotend. Without a cooling system I printed the model on the right. Turned out poor.

A week after the initial installation, programed the fans with an available pin on the ramps board and got the print result on the left instead.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks sweet man. Good work

Note. I think the R1+ moved the end stop with back to the x idler and not on the carriage. It was some R1'd that had that

The larger ovals around the Bowden tube Inlet are there to let you run wires through. Not entirely necessary though

The r1 plus doesn't have a second extruder stepper driver slot. It's hard wired into the z to run dual stepper drivers on it

FYI I used the RRD Fan extender to add the parts fan. Costs a bit more and takes up the servo pin port. Which I know you're using for the LED's, but just another option

#2 Mike Kelly, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    CADenas3D and Geof like this.
  3. phillip thompson

phillip thompson New Member

so with the duel extruder main purpose is to print in duel color, would any of the people on this forum approve of this mod it seems very interesting the cost is a lil extreme but i think the application is wonderful, the 3d printer call the pallet, it was in concept in 2015 and it should start hitting the shelfs here soon price point is the cost of a new robo 3dr1 lol

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If multi color was the only benefit of dual extrusion then the cost IMHO isn't worth the effort over just painting. I grew up on building models and painting details is a pretty easy thing to do. Now where the beauty of dual extrusion comes into play is multiple materials. So say you are printing something that needs supports. You could you a filament that is dissolvable for the supports or something easier to remove than the main material. Or lets say you want to add rubber feet to something you are printing in PLA, that could be done with a dual extrusion system. These may not be great examples, but hopefully food for thought of what possibilities there are when doing a project like this.

Jim Zwieg and phillip thompson like this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Great example of the potential for multiple materials printed at once. Really opens the door from just working with multiple colors.

Steve0 and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea,multi-material is a reason to use multi-extrusion.
    Multi-color doesn't excite me.

7. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

I made some custom spools for work that we wind copper wire on, these need printed in expensive PolyMax PLA with some extensive supports. While Simplify3D makes support generation and removal easy, the PolyMax is still very tough to remove.

I will be doing this dual extrusion mod soon with the fans so I can do the spools in PolyMax and the supports in cheap PLA that will snap off easily.

8. CADenas3D

CADenas3D New Member

Hey I love your videos Marquis Johnson, they really help with my project on turning my robo3D into a dual extruder. Can you please explain or make a video on what extruder you used to feed your filament to the chimera? Thank you so much this is all I need to complete my project.

Geof likes this.
  9. CADenas3D

CADenas3D New Member

I just looked into your YouTube channel and saw that you have already made the video. Thank you again for posting all these videos they really helped solve my problems upgrading my printer. Any tips before I buy the Bowden extruder?

Geof likes this.
  10. regor

regor Member

What is a RRD Fan extender and how do you hookup the dual parts fan to it? Do you have to do any firmware tweaking or special little circuit like Marquis did? Looking for easiest way of inserting parts fan for duel extruder, couldn't find Marquis schematic for his parts fan anywhere.

BenMac likes this.
  11. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with the fan mod. I have a thread open over here if you wouldn't mind taking a look. :)