1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3D First Layer Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bobbythebrain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bobbythebrain

Bobbythebrain New Member

I'm having trouble getting the first layer to print properly on my Robo R1. It seems like the first layer isn't extruding enough. I get a dotted and stringy first layer.

The Z height is fine, when it does finally extrude, it lays a perfect line. I've tried priming via additional G-Code with no luck.

Once the first layer is printed the rest of the print is fine. This only works if I keep the dotted, stringy mess clear.

I like all the detailed controls of S3D, but if I can't get this solved, I'll likely go back to Matter Control which works perfectly.

I can take pics or video if that helps.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

At what layer does it finally extrude "and is fine"?
    You might need a perimeter or skirt to get the filament flowing before it prints the model.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do 2 skirts and this ensures a good firat layer. If you preheat prior to printing you can always manually prime the extruder by turning the wade gear. Are you certain your z offset is correct in the start up script? To close will give you that same symptom.

4. Robert Foreman

I don't know if this might help but here is a purge line I run before each print. I have it at the end of my starting scripts after the auto bed level.
    G1 Z5 ; lift Z by 5mm
    G1 Y0 X0 ; move to home
    G1 Z.3 ; Lift Z by .3mm
    G1 X100 E25 F300 ; purge nozzle

5. Bobbythebrain

Bobbythebrain New Member

I keep getting this error when I try to post: Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Trying to post video or pictures ?

7. Bobbythebrain

Bobbythebrain New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a breakthrough of sorts. I think my problem had to do with the extruder temperature being too low and a retract that happens right before it starts the skirt.

I cranked up the temp and got much better results. I was using 205C, when I cranked it to 210C I got much better start. Now I am going to try to keep it from doing a retract at the start to see if that helps too.

Mark, it was only taking a couple of layers to clear up. It was just that the first layer was so bad it kept pulling up what it had previously printed.

Geoff, I'm printing a skirt as well. I started with a small one, but increased the distance to make it bigger.

Robert, thanks for the tip. I tried something like that before without any luck. I think if i get rid of the retract at the beginning and use your purge code I might be in good shape.

8. Bobbythebrain

Bobbythebrain New Member

Was only posting text. Not sure what it didn't like, but it seems I'm ok now.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear youve got it working. I like the deprime test to.figure out what temp and settings my printer likes :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Robert Foreman

Cool. Hope my purge code works for you. I have a lot of success with it.

11. Prak Coton

Prak Coton New Member

I'm having a similar problem, and I'm using TPU(flexible filament). So doing this sounds like a good idea. Did you modify the existing startup script all all or just paste this in at the end?

12. Robert Foreman

I put this in at the end of my startup script.