1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered THIS PRINTER IS JUNK!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Steven Barber, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Steven Barber

Steven Barber New Member

THIS PRINTER IS JUNK I have tried to remove the print head but it seems everything is different
    from the videos! everytime I try to remove parts it seems like every nut or bolt I try to remove is
    torqued to 900 ft lbs! I regret getting this piece of sh*t the only place It belongs is in the garbage!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id be more than happy to help you but need some information such as which printer you have and what your trying to do.

Kevin Robo 3D and jim3Dbot like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your problems.

If you want to vent, I hope that helped.
    If you want any of us other Robo users to try and help ... we can do that.
    If you want to get help directly from Robo3D you might want to contact them: https://robo3d.com/contact-us/

Or we can try to help if you describe what your problem is. It is a fine printer when you get it going, but that can be a challenge on occasion. Rather par for the course with other similarly priced machines.

The nozzle (brass tip) is the only part that is difficult to remove (if you do it incorrectly). None of the others are torqued in any fashion.

Kevin Robo 3D, jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

This hobby is a tinkerers dream. There will be issues to get through and mysteries to solve for sure. Such things are wondrous adventures at times but can be mind numbingly futile at other times. Regardless, you are not alone. Many have preceded you in this journey and they are ready and willing to assist if you so desire.

I had issues with the nozzle when I first started and ended up breaking other things just trying to get it to come off. My issue was I tried to take the nozzle off "cold". It must be heated up first in order for it to break loose. Once I was told that little bit of information, my problem with removing the nozzle evaporated and nozzle removal became just another routine task.

I also was over concerned that with the nozzle off, the heater block was very loose. I couldn't figure out how to tighten back up and broke another part trying. As it turns out, the nozzle is what tightens up the heater block (duh).

Good luck and I hope you get your issues resolved soon.

Kevin Robo 3D and jim3Dbot like this.
  5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

When you decide to throw it in the garbage, let me know where you live and I will come pick it up!

Kevin Robo 3D and Geof like this.
  6. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Hi Steve,

The printer will eventually work & work well......you have to take on the issues......one at a time....the learning experience & satisfaction you will realize will make you part of the achievers in the 3d community. I have had this printer 'R1' for not quite two years....and am very much still a rookie............Hang in there bro..............and these guys, when they can, will help you along the way..........

Kevin Robo 3D, Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  7. Steven Barber

Steven Barber New Member

I`m sorry that I vented. but I eventually got the hot end out and it still had filament in it.
    When I tried to heat it up and remove the old filament it would not budge. I`m close to replacing the whole
    hotend.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are having issues (under warranty) they will swap it for you (a replacement Hexagon).

If you are out of warranty I'd suggest an upgrade to an E3D or a Prometheus.
    @Geof can fill you in on any questions about the Prometheus and many other use the E3D.

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im very very good results with the prometihus. It is a fast install on the r1+. That said i havnt gotten around to testing tpu or xt and petg but that will come and i have no doubts will be successful.

The e3d is also a good hotend. I installed one when i was done with the hexagon. It was and still is a very good hotend for me.

11. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Steve - having gone through exactly what you are going through, recently, try this first.
    1 - Remove the hot end and place on build plate. Do this while cold.
    2 - Make sure hot end is connected to power (while still on build plate) - and heat up to temp 190 or so should do it (assuming you are using PLA).
    3 - Using an adjustable wrench and a 7mm wrench, remove the nozzle from the hotend. Ensure you apply reverse torque with the adjustable wrench on the hot end while you turn the opposite way with the 7mm wrench on the nozzle - this will make sure you don't bend the "heat brake" which is the tube that goes between them.
    4 - Once the nozzle it off, grab the hot end with a pair of pliers and using a 1/16" (I believe that is the correct size) allen key wrench, push the filament out from the top down and out of the opening where the nozzle was.

Just my .02, but it has worked for me twice now when the exact same thing has happened.

12. Steven Barber

Steven Barber New Member

thankx for all of your input I will try that toro1966

13. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I would recommend getting the hotend up to at least 230 degrees if you want to remove the nozzle.