1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

@WheresWaldo do you have a video of how the new MESH bed leveling works? I have been debating moving to the newest Marlin and would like to check it out.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I don't and don't have the time or equipment to make one. I looked for a youtube video about a month ago and could not find anything. There might be something now.

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Bummer....I tried looking earlier and could not find anything. Oh well I guess I will just have to try it out!

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to post a video of how it works when you are done. ;) I searched as well and the video I found was no longer available.

Geof and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

RC7 was released this morning. I will be working on modified files for the Robo R1 series, should be up by this afternoon. The developers want as many people as possible testing this. So, if you are so inclined, come back this afternoon and download the appropriate configuration files and have at it.

Please note all I have done is edited the configuration files and made sure that they will compile with no errors. I have not actually started my own testing on RC7.

#545 WheresWaldo, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    danzca6 and Geof like this.
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous versions or previous Release Candidates.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC7 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC7_ABL_R1 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC7_ABL_R1PLUS is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC7_ABL_R1-TR8 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Auto-Bed-Leveling enabled
    5. SD Card support
    6. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    7. Babystepping enabled
    8. Encoder reversed
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#546 WheresWaldo, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC7 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC7 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC7_MESH_R1 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC7_MESH_R1PLUS is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC7_MESH_R1-TR8 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results.
    8. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. SD Card support
    7. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    8. Babystepping enabled
    9. Encoder reversed
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#547 WheresWaldo, Jul 27, 2016
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If there is another RC it will continue to be posted to this thread. Once Marlin 1.1.0 is officially released I will create a new thread with the gold version and updated configuration files. This thread will be closed at that time. At the same time a new thread with whatever new stuff is experimental in the newest bleeding edge Marlin will be started, whatever they decide to call that version. I can tell you there are quite a few changes coming in Bed Leveling. Right now they are experimenting with Uniform Bed Leveling (UBL) which appears to be some sort of hybrid of MESH and ABL.

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I've downloaded everything now let's see if I can get adventurous enough to try it out. We'll see. LOL.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just wanted to let everyone know there are three new settings in two new #define statements for the direction the encoder moves, all in configuration.h. The files provided in this thread have the encoder revered. The options are between lines 1009-1032.
    Code:
    /**
    * Encoder Direction Options
    * Test your encoder's behavior first with both options disabled.
    *  Reversed Value Edit and Menu Nav? Enable REVERSE_ENCODER_DIRECTION.
    *  Reversed Menu Navigation only?    Enable REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION.
    *  Reversed Value Editing only?      Enable BOTH options.
    */

//
    // This option reverses the encoder direction everywhere
    //
    //  Set this option if CLOCKWISE causes values to DECREASE
    //
    #define REVERSE_ENCODER_DIRECTION  //--ROBO-BH

//
    // This option reverses the encoder direction for navigating LCD menus.
    //
    //  If CLOCKWISE normally moves DOWN this makes it go UP.
    //  If CLOCKWISE normally moves UP this makes it go DOWN.
    //
    //#define REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION
    Just uncomment the line or lines you want to affect the direction of the encoder per the description.

#550 WheresWaldo, Jul 28, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I was beginning to think RC7 would never make it out. Installed ABL version on my Robo, just about done with first overnight (14 hour) print from SD Card. Looks good so far. Need to line up a longer 18hour or more print to see if the print timer roll over is fixed and check to see if filament change works right now.

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So there have been 5 MESH downloads and 6 ABL downloads and not one single word of feedback. What is going on here? Does it just work with no issues? Help me out here and let me know what you guys think. If it is that good, then maybe we can get @Harry to at least consider an official Robo firmware built on this with a brand new naming/numbering scheme that actually makes sense. (I know I am dreaming here :D)

13. ElKameleon

ElKameleon New Member

I downloaded the MESH version, I cant get the homing to work... When I try to level the bed, it only gives me a 4mm range, which isnt close enough to reach my bed. What am I doing wrong?

I also tried out the ABL version, which I was used to. That version worked pretty damn well after I manually entered my offset.

14. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'm using the ABL version of RC7 and it seems good so far. I've two print failures due to jamming but I think that was more filament related. I did have one job go over the rollover point on the timer and it no longer resets to 00:00 after 18:12 on a print job. Trying my long print with a fresh roll of Inland PLA (my usual filament) to see if it was just the old roll of MakerGeeks (before they started making it in house) that caused the jamming.

So far it is working as well as RC6 was for me with some notable bugs being fixed. I feel comfortable moving from RC6 to RC7 as my new standard until 1.1.0 is official.

15. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I downloaded files but have not had time (or courage) to do anything with them yet.

16. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

i cant get either to upload to printer.. both have an issue with the U8glib file

edit*
    i was downloading the wrong file lol

#556 anngeelow81, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As you noticed U8glib is a requirement but since it is not Marlin code, it is not included. You must have it properly loaded as a library in your Arduino IDE for this to compile properly. Glad you figured it out.
    I haven't had time to test this myself but I know that the 4 mm is there so that you have enough room to make any adjustments. When you do the G29 sequence (easy from the LCD controllers, I have not done it via command line) you will basically turn the encoder and move the head from the 4 mm position until it touches the bed, use some sort of feeler gauge (can be any very thin material) to tell when you are just touching the bed, then click the encoder to move to the next spot. I haven't had time myself to test this as I am working on a few custom 3D models for other people. Glad to hear the ABL is working.
    I am figuring you are going to put this through its paces.

Well, get to it! :D

Rigmarol likes this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@ElKameleon There is a problem with MESH, I am investigating to see if I made an error in the configuration.h file or it is really a bug. But it won't go down to the bed when you get to the first point.

UPDATE: There is an error in the configuration.h file. There were so many changes to the file that I had overlooked a small group of lines that changed from const bool to #define. I am correcting it now and will be re-uploading the files once I have them all corrected.

UPDATE 2: I think I got it figured out, there was so much stuff changed from RC6 to RC7 and variables renamed, #defines changed, it was near impossible to keep up. I have to edit all 6 files even though ABL wasn't affected. That way if someone wants to mess with their configuration.h and move between ABL and MESH they can do it without replacing files. Now maybe we can ask @WZ9V or @Marquis Johnson if either can look this over and make the leveling sequence run faster!

#558 WheresWaldo, Jul 31, 2016
  19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All six sets of configuration files have been updated and re-attached to the messages above. I am including them here for convenience only. The encoder is now set to reverse by default.

Attached Files:

#559 WheresWaldo, Jul 31, 2016
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

For anyone that wants to go back and forth between ABL and MESH leveling, all these files have the exact same modifications made to them and all that is required is changing two lines in the file configuration.h.
    Code:
    Line 618
    #define MESH_BED_LEVELING    //--ROBO-BH Enable mesh bed leveling.

Line 642
    #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE //--ROBO-BH Delete the comment to enable (remove // at the start of the line)
    Only one of these two lines can be enabled at any given time. If you have a MESH set of configuration files line 642 will be preceded by a '//'. If you are using an ABL set of configuration files line 618 will be preceded by a '//'. All other required changes are in both files. To swap between the two leveling methods simply change these lines so that the proper one is enabled and the subsequent one is disabled.

#560 WheresWaldo, Jul 31, 2016
    Rigmarol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.