1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@danzca6 I don't know what changed underneath the hood, but they renamed two variables, otherwise there were no significant changes other than some comments to clarify options. I really wished they wouldn't do that over and over again. Wait and put renamed variables in their experimental builds.

2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

File showing functional differences between August 7th RC7 and Robo. This only includes diffs from configuration.h, the files configuration_adv.h and Version.h also contain changes but they are mostly cosmetic.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Thanks again. I would have did the full compare and made updates, but had a mighty headache this morning. Feeling better now though. I can hopefully finish looking it over for tweaks needed for the IR. Will post that as soon as I am done and do a quick test print.

4. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I installed the mesh level version on my robo3d R1 plus with an v6 hotend. All it tries to do now is inject PET into the glass. How do I make the mesh level feature work?

5. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

I get this one even after downloading the file and adding it in.

Arduino: 1.6.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\Cory\Desktop\Marlin\Marlin.ino:51:110: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory

#include <U8glib.h> // library for graphics LCD by Oli Kraus (https://github.com/olikraus/U8glib_Arduino)

^
    compilation terminated.

exit status 1

I tried also commenting it out to see if it worked and that just leads to a list of issues.

6. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Install that with the library manager. It won't find it if you install manually.

7. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

Thanks for that, I'm learning Arduino slowly.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If it is too low you can set a global offset for MESH. It still uses the mesh values but offsets them all by the same amount. You set MESH offset using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer.

9. danzca6

Do you use an LCD? If not, just comment out the define statement in configuration.h for the Full LCD. It else you just download that library zip and extract to the arduino install directory under libraries under a new folder called u8glib. Easy as pie.

10. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

I got it added in and compiles fine with my settings I use for my printer. That being said, I had tried to comment it out and it told me there was something else, then I comment that out and something else lol.

11. danzca6

Glad to hear you got it working. Yeah Marlin can be a tangled mess if you set the wrong thing and then you are off chasing your tail. It's all fun right? Haha.

#591 danzca6, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  12. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

I tried using MESH leveling and the echo states MESH leveling not active. I have it enabled and ABL disabled in my firmware.

In addition, using Octoprint, after cancelling a job the bed continued to heat and setting to off did nothing.

#592 cjryker06, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@cjryker06 Did you try to save memory after you did the MESH leveling routine. It is a completely separate step to set up MESH you cannot do it in a print job.

14. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

Went to terminal and sent command. It returned MESH leveling not active. The only time any measurement is taken is during a homing, it now double probes the bed center and I have the Z offset from extruder set to 0.80 and it is almost dead on. I guess I'm not sure how to actually run MESH. I thought it was how I tried.

Keep in mind that I don't have an LCD.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have never done it without an LCD controller but the Wiki has this explanation:

16. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

Partially fixed
    After some adjustments to firmware and the very slow Octoprint controlled MESH leveling, first print test seems pretty good. My previous print using just the z offset to extruder @0.85 almost seemed like it wasn't squishing the first layer properly in the very center of the bed.

Ongoing
    Still having the bed heater issue where when I cancel a job, it keeps heating. I've made sure to include gcode in the Octoprint cancel scripts to turn all motors and heaters off.

Not sure of the significance, but when given a G29, it still says MESH not active. Manual setup probed a total of 12 points and then homed. This is the full process correct?

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

When you run the Mesh Leveling sequence, be sure to send an M500 to save the probing results to EEPROM.

When powering the printer up from a powered-off state, send an M501 to load the EEPROM settings before running a program.

The starting GCode for any given program should no longer require G29.

18. cjryker06

cjryker06 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. This firmware is full of learning experiences. I did confirm that after M500 is sent and the printer is power cycled, you don't need to issue the M501 command as it loads the saved settings.

19. danzca6

@WheresWaldo, I wonder if for the R1+PLUS printers if the Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS should be enabled in Configuration_adv.h since the new RAMPS board is now using E1 as the second Z stepper motor driver. With that, maybe the Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS should also be enabled.

Code:
    // A single Z stepper driver is usually used to drive 2 stepper motors.
    // Uncomment this option to use a separate stepper driver for each Z axis motor.
    // The next unused E driver will be assigned to the second Z stepper.
    //#define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

#if ENABLED(Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS)

// Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS is a feature to enable the use of 2 endstops for both Z steppers - Let's call them Z stepper and Z2 stepper.
      // That way the machine is capable to align the bed during home, since both Z steppers are homed. 
      // There is also an implementation of M666 (software endstops adjustment) to this feature.
      // After Z homing, this adjustment is applied to just one of the steppers in order to align the bed.
      // One just need to home the Z axis and measure the distance difference between both Z axis and apply the math: Z adjust = Z - Z2.
      // If the Z stepper axis is closer to the bed, the measure Z > Z2 (yes, it is.. think about it) and the Z adjust would be positive.
      // Play a little bit with small adjustments (0.5mm) and check the behaviour.
      // The M119 (endstops report) will start reporting the Z2 Endstop as well.

//#define Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS

#if ENABLED(Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS)
        #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP _XMAX_
      #endif

#endif // Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 I couldn't tell you if there is any functionality difference if dual stepper drivers are enabled, it's not in the Robo firmware so I am thinking it doesn't work like Marlin has it laid out in 1.1.0. But if you have a PLUS you could test that functionality. The basic functionality here is to make them the same under power. That doesn't seem necessary if you can turn the Z-Axis lead screws when not powered to level the Z Axis.

Z_Dual_Endstops won't work for the Robo since even though it is two switches, they are both connected to the same pin on the RAMPS board, so they are essentially one endstop.

#600 WheresWaldo, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.