1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS Troubles with ABS

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by castmemberzack, Aug 5, 2016.

1. castmemberzack

2. David Avila

David Avila Member

use pla you wont have any issues like that

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Or Nylon or Alloy 900 or PolyCarbonate, or ... ( there is a really long list of stuff better than ABS that does not misbehave like ABS).

There is a reason that ABS is spec'ed to be printed in a heated chamber.

Geof likes this.
  4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Even when I had a heated chamber the only way I could get ABS to not do that was to use the cooling fan, which everyone says your not supposed to do.

5. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I am puzzled by the ABS problems.

We have a Lulzbot 6 at work, and the mech engineer prints ABS all day (literally) with no issues.
    He has no heated enclosure, the printer sits on a stand in the lab with no special ventilation.
    He says he didn't adjust any of the settings. He does parts with overhangs and bridges, and very detailed parts too. The printer at work uses 3mm filament, I don't know why that would make a difference.

Yet myself and it seems most everyone else has a lot of trouble on the robo without extreme measures.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it is a limitation to just Robo. I've watched plenty of YouTubers who have had ABS issues with a lot of printers. If your doing small or short parts on an open frame design it seems to fair better. Not sure what lucky charm your coworker is in possession of, but it doesn't sound like the results he is getting is always the norm.

7. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

I don't think it's something with the Robo other than the settings.

His parts are as much as 7 to 8 inches long, and 2 to 3 inches high.

I've asked to get his settings, but he claims it's "just the defaults"

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The the environment it prints in is more ABS friendly.

The troubles are not Robo3D specific. I have seen them on other brands/models.

With so many other options to choose from with better properties and less problems I haven't used ABS is a long time.

danzca6 likes this.
  9. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

What would make that a true statement? Temperature there varies more than here at home, at least 5 degrees F higher or lower.

The only difference I see is that he prints much slower than I am used to. No idea what temps he is using. Hairspray on bed in both systems, even the same brand.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not so much about temperature as it is about airflow.
    Your temperature in the print area is not likely to be heated chamber levels :)

Printing slower is a good approach as well.

I spent a year on the Robo printing nothing BUT ABS so it is certainly something you can do.
    I have printed and assembled large models with ABS.

You are going to deal with more issues getting it right and more prints that fail for non-specific reasons.
    The style and size of the models makes a huge difference as well.

ABS is not evil, but there are far better materials so I just completely avoid the hassles anymore.

11. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

My experiences:
    I have had limited success using ABS with the robo3d to the point I quit using it on it. But I use PLA Plus on it with very good results.
    My Da Vinci 1.1 plus I only prints abs.
    I also have pretty good result with the Prusa I3 mk2 using ABS. 20160821_103612.jpg these are ABS prints on the Prusa edit: to be fair it was esun abs plus.
    My Duplicator 4s can do ABS but not as good as the Prusa.

#11 Chuck Erwin, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The taz at work does abs on its pei bed ok. I imagine the taz 6 does as well, I'm never willing for the 50/50 success rate. Can it work... Yep.... What can you do to increase your odds ? A heated chamber, limit airflow, bump the heat up in that room to a high temperature...set a box over the robo , abs slurry, Elmers glue with hairspray, raft, parts that don't matter if they warp, etc.

I opted to not print with abs and use Petg, taulman 910, xt, ngen, and if I have to polycarbonate. All with their own properties and highs and lows.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

None touchy as ABS can be.

Geof likes this.