1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Robo3D Z-Axis buzzes and sticks

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Floyd Moore, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Floyd Moore

Floyd Moore New Member

Hello,

My son and I recently got a Robo3D printer on a closeout. It is a brand new unit.

When I try and move the stages all XYZE all move reasonable well at the 1 step size in MatterControl. However when I shift to a step size of 10, then XYand E all still work properly, but the Z axis seems to get stuck. It tries to move and then you hear a 'buzzing' from the printer and it seems to get stuck. I verified that I have updated the firmware.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Make sure everything is tight and snug, you wouldn't be the first to receive a new machine with loose screws and connectors.

Don't know what the "E" is but I'm new too.

I had a loud "clicking" on mine and I found the ribbon cable under the build bed was not pulled completely out. I thought I had pulled it out, but no, I had not pulled it completely where it needed to be.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

"E" is the extruder @Rigmarol.

Floyd it sounds like you might have updated the firmware and used the wrong one. Most likely your z steps are defined incorrectly. For your threaded rod on your z axis, do you have couplers that attach them to the stepper motors or does it go directly into the motor? If you have couplers, then your threaded rods are either 8mm or 5/16". Let's figure that out and then we can direct you to the correct version of the firmware and get you setup.

There are other possible issue as well.

4. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

It's possible the Z stepper driver needs to be adjusted or replaced as well... but I'd check the firmware first before busting out the screwdriver.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yeah that was going to be the next step. A little more complicated, but doable. Tom has a good video guide for that if/when that becomes necessary.

mark tomlinson likes this.