1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Replacing plastic platform. Need advice

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tonycstech, Aug 14, 2016.

1. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I got my ROBO 2-4 years ago with this plastic base plate that was warped since day one.
    As i heat the bed, it gets warped more.
    So today i finaly deciced to take it all apart and replace the base with something else.
    I dont want to pay hundred dollars for enough aluminum or slightly less for regular metal, but i want to replace it with BETTER plastic that will not warp from the heat of the bed and from tension of the belt etc.

any advice ?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You can get a sheet of aluminum about the same size for $20 at Amazon if you know how to machine the hole pattern needed yourself. If so, I can give you the link. An option that I'm looking at for a future project.

Is your printer back together and working? If so you could print one in two pieces out of petg or something similar. May need to add a couple more bolts to secure it to the deck. I think it would be doable. You can probably split it in a place other than the middle. Just for not rigidity with the Y motor.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  3. danzca6

tonycstech likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ryan TeGantvoort and tonycstech like this.
  5. danzca6

6. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

ordered.
    thanks !
    I was not able to find prices like that. All i found was around $70-$100 for piece like that.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Glad I could be of assistance.

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

9. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Done.
    I needed the following
    $26 for the plate
    $40 used drill press
    $10 1" hole saw
    $20 hole saw guide
    And few drill bits matching the size of previous holes +-$20.
    So around $100-$120 worth of repair.
    Totally worth using this into ROBO production line instead of that TOXIC plastic that was warped since day one i got the printer.
    It was nothing but trouble.
    I had motors tilted. Bolts that hold the bearings tilted.
    After upgrading the heat pad, generated heat made old plastic plate deform even further.

Entire thing is sitting on that plate, why not make it STURDY enough to ? It wasn't enough at the beginning.
    Thats modern engineering for you.

By the way, if any body cares why i have Y Motor on the left:
    I did it to create allot more room for the wires to bend around under the bed. That way i dont need any wire managment, there is plenty of room for the wire to bend smoothly without breaking off.
    More on that at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:439036
    If you want my black X stabilizers seen on the picture, get it here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:621929
    or visit my thingyverse page
    DSC00546.JPG

10. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Shipping cost makes it more expensive then the one from amazon.
    i doubt they are faster shipping then amazon.
    I got my plate in 3 days

11. danzca6

Wow! Nice work. Glad to see it finished so soon.

12. danzca6

Oh... On the left side, are you wireless about the limit switch wires being pinched? The original plate has a small squire cut out for those wires to go through.

13. danzca6

I also like your thought around moving the Y axis motor. With my design I was actually looking at moving things around so that the belt for the Y axis attached in the muscle of the bed instead of off to the left side. Not sure if that will help any, but my theory was it would give a more even motion or force on the bed assembly. Probably silly, but seeing you move yours around a bit makes me at least one to try to go off the template Robo design a bit. Again, nice work. It's also nice to make the connection with you. I've seen your designs on Thingiverse before and just now put your name together. Nice work on your other projects as well.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Depends on what day you buy it, they seem to change discounts daily today was 14% the day I placed the link it was 11%. At 15% off it is cheaper than Amazon including shipping, and I just don't really think Jeff Bezos needs any more of my money.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@tonycstech I still haven't done this upgrade but I have always planned to. My costs would be much less than yours since I have a garage full of tools and everything you had to buy to make this work, I already own, except the aluminum plate.

UPDATE: Okay I bit the bullet. Did order from Midwest Steel and with today's discounts got the price to $25.10 shipped. There was a difference, I ordered in the exact size of the original plate, which for anyone that is interested is 0.5" x 5.0" x 14.175" for anyone that still thinks in imperial measurements (12.7mm x 127 mm x 360 mm). The one from Amazon does work perfectly well as @tonycstech has already demonstrated.

#15 WheresWaldo, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    danzca6 likes this.
  16. danzca6

I also wonder if the aluminum will provide a bit of a heat sync for the motors. Yeah the amazon plate is a tad bigger, but my OCD was able to cope with that ok. :) I do like Midwest Steel since you can get closer to the exact sizes sent to you that you need. I have some other aluminum projects that I will use them for in the near future. Nice to know that they have daily specials to keep checking on.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Since the plate is a full 0.5" (12.7mm) thick I also plan on digging out my tap set to directly tap the holes for the correct threads and forgo having the screws come all the way through the plate just to add a nut to the bottom. Of course not every screw needs this, but I will do it where appropriate.

I am pretty sure the steppers should run a bit cooler with this setup and I can avoid the warped plate that @tonycstech mentions and I also have on my Robo.

danzca6 likes this.
  18. danzca6

Your plate is warped as well? Man...I should take a closer look at mine. Tapping is a great idea. Can take everything off from the top instead of having to open the bottom plate and secure the nuts when putting things on or taking things off. I think this mod is going to get more popular now. :)

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep, mine is warped to, very obvious where the two pulley bearings are. Had to resort to an printed angle washer to straighten them out.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 Here is what I mean about Midwest Steel, today everything is 14% off, starting tomorrow and for three days everything is 16% off, plus if you sign up for their newsletter, your first order gets an additional 5% off.

danzca6 likes this.