1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Firmware update troubles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Ryan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Hey everybody,
    I have had my R1 plus for about 2 months and I wanted to update the firmware to version 2 and install the full graphics display but I keep getting error messages when compiling. the latest error message I'm not sure what to do to fix it. here is the error:

option enabled in File -> Preferences."Show verbose output during compilation"This report would have more information with Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.fork/exec C:\Users\PRyan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\4.9.2-atmel3.5.3-arduino2/bin/avr-gcc.exe: The filename or extension is too long. Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

any help you can provide will be appreciated

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

First, no real advantage to the V2 for the R1+ over the original R1+ firmware (Leadscrew upgrade version). So you are using 1.6.9 of arduino. Where did you unzip the firmware files to? Did you download and install the graphics library to the Arduino library folder?

Geof likes this.
  3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I'm updating mainly to allow the use of the lcd controller. I am using version 1.6.9 of Arduino, I unzipped my files in the Arduino folder next to the 'libraries' file, I also did install U8glib to the library folder

4. danzca6

I would unzip your firmware into a folder under you documents or downloads directory to keep from accidentally loosing it during an upgrade. I've seen others getting odd errors as well doing it right into the arduino folder.

5. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I tried moving the file folder to the documents directory as you suggested and it still comes up with the same error. it appears that the file causing the error isn't even in that same folder it is in AppData directory. Can I move that folder or will the program not be able to find it

6. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

someone in the Arduino forum pointed out that the last two slashes were going the opposite way. would that cause this? is there a way to change that?

"C:\Users\PRyan\Downloads\arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc.exe"

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id swap them and find out :) easy enough to change back.

8. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I actually just put my preferences to be 'more verbose' during compiling and it looks like all of the files do that with the slashes:(

9. danzca6

Mine do as well, but no error like you are getting

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

so all my firmware files are saved into the libraries folder. basically like this

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Arduino\libraries

then the marlin file goes under libraries.

open the firmware and then for the u8 file I leave it in the zip file on my desktop. I go to sketch, include library, add .zip, then navigate to my desktop u8 zip file select it and its uploaded.

give that a try.

do a verify with this process, if it verifies try to upload. If it wont let me know what the error your seeing is.

11. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I actually just tried the leadscrew firmware and I think that will work I am doing it primarily for the lcd controller I will let you know if that takes care of it

danzca6 likes this.
  12. danzca6

Is this a fresh install of arduino as well? I mean the first time you have used arduino to do anything compiling?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If all you doing is adding a full graphics comment out the xxl display uncomment the full graphics add the u8 and upload :)

14. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

ok so the leadscrew update compiled and loaded, I commented out the xxl display and uncommented the full graphics but the screen is just blue with no writing. I think I remember reading a thread somewhere where someone had the same thing. I did turn the adjustment knob. oh and yes I was an Arduino virgin. Thanks for your help everyone

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you cables reversed ?

danzca6 likes this.
  16. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Got it! Thanks so much guys

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What was you fix so others that read this know if you dont mind sharing?

18. danzca6

Money on the wires being switched

Geof likes this.
  19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not a best practice, just saying, your source files are not libraries, they are source files. There is a way to use the Arduino IDE so that your source is actually a library, but the Marlin guys, and most Arduino programmers do not use it this way.

I know it works for you but I wouldn't suggest that anyone else do it this way.

@Patrick Ryan glad you are finding something that works, a few of us looked at the V2 and we have reservations that Robo didn't introduce errors in their modifications. The basic difference between their first version for the lead screws and V2 was they wanted the Robo to autostart printing robo.gcode from the SD if it was inserted when the printer was powered up. That is really only useful for demos and not general use, so no clue why they posted that online in the firmware section. Otherwise it is still Marlin 1.0.0 with no added functionality.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

can I ask your process? More than happy to change to a correct way myself :)