1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you have used any of the others then you know after a bit of use Simplify3d is far better.
    Most will not immediately use or leverage all of the benefits (except working support material) but it will grow with you.

Geof likes this.
  2. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

My only gripe so far is that they couldn't be bothered to put scroll bars (or size properly) the preview screen when its too big for the display. I put in a support issue and got the typical software development non-response of it wasn't designed for that and we will look into it. My laptop has a pretty common resolution of 1366x768 so I find that pretty lame. Trying to decide if I'm returning it or not.

3. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

They just came out with ver 3.1 and I am very happy. They now support all my printers even the Da Vinci 1.1 plus. No more crappy slicer.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Chuck Erwin and others, I have been on the Simplify3D forums looking for feedback on the 3.1 upgrade and it is mostly MEH not much of an upgrade. It is a big deal if you now have a printer directly supported or are a Davinci owner, otherwise a lot of folks are kind of disappointed that much of what has been requested did not make it into this release. I think the majority of users over there were hoping this was a version 4.x type of upgrade rather than a point release. Their key complaint is why did it take a year to do this little, and no word about any major upgrade. Personally I hope they continue to grow but the gap is shrinking between the free slicers and this 'premium' slicer.

I have no dog in this fight as I use most of the slicers out there in one form or another. I just hope they don't wither on the vine.

They also say they improved the licensing code, but really, it's 2016 and we still have to deal with DRM!

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only part ive found in the hour or so i played with it as nice is being able to work the supports inside of 1 specific model.

I already had a work around by remodeling the part but its neat.

Other than that its slightly dissapointing but i was thrilled with simplify 3d and never really put much thought into other features id want honestly

#385 Geof, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I know. I dealt with this (from the developer side) in the 90's with a company I worked for. Unfortunately the impact of piracy is harder on the small guys. Frankly, my feelings then (and now) were that you just accept there being a chunk of people who are not going to be customers. Seems odd people will pay a decent chunk of change for the printer and then waffle on the software side :) however I 'get' the economics of it as well. I just consider it a prosumer product at the moment and I am glad the open source ones have improved... that we can blame Simplify for since they DID NOT improve for a long time. If the free software erodes and removes the market, then so be it. Most of us just want to be able to use what works, reliably, so the job gets done.

Robert Foreman and Geof like this.
  7. Robert Foreman

The way I see it. They worked for a year to add more printers for it to work with. I am not a programmer but I would guess that it was not that easy. I am sure XYZ printers were a real pain in the butt to get to work.

8. Chuck Erwin

I think it is a good strategy if you have a good product to get more printers on board and increase your potential sales then go forward. But you can't neglect your bread and butter. Hopefully they have different teams I would think.

#388 Chuck Erwin, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Simplify3D-EI_IE1187369.11,21.htm

Less than 50 employees.
    Sounds like a rough place to call home on the development side :)

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Simplify3D-Reviews-E1187369.htm

Doesn't mean the product is not good, but they do need to keep up. Their big advantage at present is in their slicer technology and someone else could get ahead of them. If you are leaking developers your tech is too.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson If only more people knew what went on in the software business in general, I think the picture would be a lot less rosy and more realistic. To deliver a few more printers and take a year to do it is not the way any software company, that wants to claim the top spot, should be run. I am anxious to see what Craftware and Cura have in store in the coming year. I didn't list Slic3r in there since it is developed by one person only.

Of course if your new printer is now directly supported your opinion will be biased toward the good, but looking at this upgrade objectively, they virtually ignored their entire communities requests. Worse, there is still no news on what is in store for the future.

11. Chuck Erwin

That's a shame but sadly I seen this happen with other companies. I know it's a niche market but at $150.00 you better have a better product than your competitors, especially if they are free.

I like S3d but I have noticed that when I compared slicing times with XYZ S3D beat them but the print times were longer with S3D which surprised me,

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of buttons to push and nobs to tweak in their slicer. You can get it back to roughly the same print time if you want.
    The reason is that it is doing things that (might) improve the print. It (for example) uses rather odd layer patterning (but you can alter it). Print times are usually not a concern really so that part doesn't bother me -- as long as it works with the print :)

Home_user likes this.
  13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

For the next couple weeks there is a free giveaway contest entry for an S3D license going on using this Gleam contest by Daniel Noree (creator of the 3d printed R/C truggy, R/C f1 race car, and so on). https://wn.nr/zTBGrZ Lots of ways to enter. Good luck!

Rigmarol, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Darn folks, if you don't have it ... jump on this.

Geof likes this.
  15. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'm in. Thanks for the link.

16. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Seems like someone on YouTube is giving it away every month or so. I never win. Once I buy it, that is when I will win. It's just the luck I have.

17. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Would appreciate anyone having a "tweaked", good working, Simplify3D profile for the Robo R1+ for PLA, that you're willing to post/share??

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. Bob L.

Bob L. New Member

Huh????

20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

If you search for my threads, Geof posted one for me and it's available. I'll try and find it.