1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved MakeShaper PLA Settings

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DH7, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

E3Ds all ship with a cartridge type thermistor. It is still the semitec inside the cartridge though, so you need to change the firmware is you use it. HOWEVER... Newer R1+ also use a small cartridge style thermistor that fits in the V6 heater block. I've been advising people to just reuse the Robo3D thermistor and heater cartridge and keep the E3D parts as spares.

I'm the lazy one who puts configuration changes into my start gcode. This is primarily because prior to opening the store, I didn't have a place in my own workshop to conveniently set a computer while I ran the firmware update so I had to move a bunch of stuff around... like I said. Lazy. I'd advise doing what @danzca6 suggests and just updating it in the firmware.

I think your heart is in the right place, but think about that donation a little bit. Teachers have 0 extra time. Most that I know that have a 3D Printer barely have time to keep up with the normal weirdness of a 3D Printer. The last thing they need is potentially bad filament making things even more challenging. Please don't burden them with a donation of a bad spool that you can't make work on your hobby machine. If you've got a local hackerspace, that might be a better option for donation. They will have members who are up to the challenge.

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

So the thermistor cartridge that comes with the R1+ is the same as the new V6 standard? So then, do you need to still change the firmware? Or is it the difference of having the semitec inside that requires the change if using the V6 vs using the R1+ stock? Nice to know that the hex and v6 are a bit more interchangeable with the R1+ now.

3. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Robo3D (all versions) stock = EPCOS thermistor.
    E3D standard = Semitec thermistor

The only thing that's changed over time has been the package that the thermistor is in. Both used to have no package. Just a bare glass bead. Recently, E3D started putting a semitec inside a metal cylinder, referred to as a cartridge. Robo3D started using a sorter, but same diameter metal cylinder on their thermistors as well. The new Robo3D thermistor fits in the E3D and vice versa.

Even though they physically fit in the same place, the actual thermistor on the inside of the cylinder is different, so you do still have to make the firmware change.

The physical installation is quite a bit easier now an there is more interchangeability for sure.

Rigmarol and danzca6 like this.
  4. danzca6

Thank you again. I need to put this information into the V6 installation guide thread so folks know this.

5. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Agree 100% If you want to draft up some bullet points, I'll add it onto the first thread.

I'm thinking of chopping that thread up. It's way too long to follow. 1-2 posts with Mike's review and instructions, then lock it and set a separate thread for related discussion. Right now, it's like "If you have a beta go to page 1 and if you have an R1, go to page 4, and if you have an R1+ go to page 23' :)

6. danzca6

I totally agree. That is a great idea. The thread is way out of control and locking it down to the main couple posts with the updated V6 information will be a huge help for folks. Even the fan mount options have better choices now.

BTW, I had already added your two posts from here to the end of that thread :oops: Feel free to update as needed. Thanks again for helping making this clear.

Oh and maybe having the fact that the cartridge and original thermistor style needs the same firmware settings added to your listing on printedsolid.com. I guess this is the end of needing a stud thermistor...:rolleyes:

#46 danzca6, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Rigmarol likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't get to worried about cheap filament. I've run loads of it. If it's just awful slow the speed and make toys :). If you don't want to deal with it let me know and we can work something out

8. jsam

jsam New Member

Thanks Geof, will keep that in mind.

Good point, I'll look for some makerspaces in the area.

9. Printed Solid

Staff Member

lol. no complaints. If you're waiting for me to do something before updating... well, I don't get to things as fast as I should so it's appreciated.

Also, from reading some comments there, I'm not sure that things are totally clear.

EPC0S thermistor = all versions of stock Robo3D (Beta, R1, R1+) and the stud thermistor we sell. If you have any of these installed, then you don't need to change from the stock Robo Firmware.
    Semitec thermistor = All versions of E3D supplied thermistors. This includes the old bead style that everyone broke and the new cartridge style. If you have one of these, you need to change the thermistor number in the firmware.
    The exception to this is the PT100, which is something different entirely, but if you're paying the extra $$ for the PT100, you probably already know this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.