1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Australia and Japan

Discussion in 'Requests and Suggestions' started by poxcx, Nov 18, 2013.

1. poxcx

poxcx Member

So anyone in Australia in that 'pallet' got any shipping notification yet?

2. cmanou

cmanou New Member

nothing yet, hopping we get it soon though don't know if we will only get the notification when its in australia getting redispatched.

3. Bdicker

Bdicker New Member

BUMP :)
    Id love to know If my printer is in the batch of 37 - Web#1446 - Early August!
    I have a pile of projects just piling up because I had planned printed bits and doflickies for them!

4. poxcx

poxcx Member

RoBo 3D Printersays:
    Hello!
    If you are receiving this message we have you on our records as a backer from Australia. As you hopefully already know, we have prepared a large shipment to Australia and will have our partners there distribute printers. We will be providing a confirmation number and a tracking number once the shipment arrives in customs.
    This being said we have to collect duties and taxes so now so that we can ensure your printer is delivered hassle free.
    Total price for duties and taxes in Australia is $62.00 USD. If you can please send this payment via Paypal to robo3dprinter@gmail.com then your printer will be on the way and completely paid for. We need these payments to be done by November 30th so we can load all the products and get them shipped out to you all. Thank you for your patience thus far and for your cooperation.
    Team RoBo 3D

Anyone know why we are being asked for a duty and tax payment on an item that is duty and tax exempt in australia???

5. Bdicker

Bdicker New Member

Hi guys, sounds good, guessing its because you are shipping as a lot and not separately, anything over $1000 Aud when invoiced and shipped get charged customs import and taxes.

6. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

I actually sent them an email about that. I kinda assumed that since I paid $120 for shipping it would be sent straight to me. I am sure they are saving them money by sending them in a pallet, but then we are getting charged duty/tax because they are being imported together?

I have already paid and if everything is in order then I have no issue. But it does seem a little bit dodgy that we are being charged when OUR purchase is not over the threshold. Kinda seems like ROBO3D are saving themselves money by sending them in bulk and then charging us the extra... As I said, I am happy to be charged if it is all legit.

7. dotDash

dotDash New Member

As you allured to $1000 AUD is the tax free threshold for online purchases, hence the 3d printers delivered to Australia do not attract Custom Duty & taxes and are GST free. I am very happy for Robo3d to make a substantial saving in shipping cost by bundling 35 printers together onto a pallet and shipping as one bulk item. However just as I would not except them to pass on the saving to each of those customers, I also would not expect to be slugged with an extra cost that would not be incurred, if my purchase was sent as an individual item, as was ordered. This situation needs clarification from Robo3d.

8. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

WEIRD. I received my printer late October, here in OZ and it flew threw customs and delivered direct to me on the NSW coast WITH NO CHARGES. I do not know anything about Australian Distributors though..... 'sniff sniff, something tis not smellin right'

9. Bdicker

Bdicker New Member

dotDash, you are spot on!
    I would be saying because they are shipped together on a pallet that is the reason for customs duty.... the GST would be around $69 if they used the cost of $699AUD per printer (they would have to of de-valued them as total =$25,000 odd dollars) and customs duty would be what .05 (5%?) if that was the case wouldnt the whole import duties be around $104 or so dollars each - Based on the fact more than one printer is being sent............ Something isnt right!

10. Wataglue

Wataglue New Member

i would also like to know what the go is with this extra charge, its unacceptable to be told both a product cost then a delivery cost then be expected to front even more money later.

11. dotDash

dotDash New Member

Yesterday I sent Robo3d a "Please Explain" email. They haven't yet replied, though I wouldn't expect they would before next week. Nevertheless I have since requested that my order not be included in the bulk shipment, and to be instead sent separately (as ordered). If I need to wait a bit longer so be it, after all I am going away for a month over xmas. As early adopters, we all have taken a leap of faith. You don't expect to be penalised for it, charged a hidden fee that should not be your due, but for that fact that the vendor is seeking a windfall by sending your order by bulk. It's not good enough.

12. Ross

Ross Member

Sigh...

13. dotDash

dotDash New Member

What we had suspected, has indeed been confirmed. Following is the response to my query RE $62 extra charge:
    "shipping to Australia was much more than we were able to handle and since we are shipping a bulk amount of units, it is more than $1000. We are not sending individual units 1 by 1 to Australia or else shipping would be much more expensive"

Braydon Moreno
    Team RoBo 3D

14. Ross

Ross Member

I would like to see a gesture of good will by including an extra roll of filament or something for the delay in delivery and now the added $62 for delivery.

[Correction, $70.21AUD from Paypal...)

15. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Folks, while I do not wish Braydon and the Robo3D team ill will if I can have a 1 off printer delivered by DHL courier at no additional expense (other than the extra $30 asked for) then I suggest it be totally inappropriate for them to find efficiency for them but at additional expense for Backers. We in Australia paid above the US territory postage costs to accommodate the extra distance and in the big world of business Braydon, 'oops I changed our mind', is not good customer service nor fair or even contractually correct. If you absorbed my extraordinary cost of a one off courier, you can surely absorb the lesser cost of bulk mailing. If unnecessary duty now falls on the Backer because you took a cheaper route, without prior their prior knowledge, I suggest you need to take it on the chin, along with surely many rearrangements you have made along the way - remember these are your pioneer backers -and absorb the $USD620 or aud702 (presuming 10 units). Be efficient, yes, hardassed, no! With Respect!

PS. USD30 for postage on Kickstarter projects would be in the high end in the involved projects I have participated in to date. Sorry guys'n'gals from Oz, I obviously think you ARE being unfairly treated. Why oh Why would the printers be shipped at rrp and not cost or less???

16. poxcx

poxcx Member

Well, I would like a more detailed answer from the team. If I was told, "hey australia is too far away and its going to cost an extra $60USD to ship there." I would feel like shit thats $178USD total delivery cost that sux. But I would get over it. Being told an extra $60USD for 'Customs and Duties' which I can look up online and not find a reason to pay....
    Just makes me question where and what the extra cost is?
    And now I see other Australian backers have not been slapped with this extra cost.

Am I right to want to see a better explanation from the Robo team?

17. Jimwahhh

Jimwahhh Member

Yeah I am pretty annoyed that I didn't look into this before paying the amount. Now I have to try to get a refund. I already thought that ~$120 was pretty expensive for shipping (after the initial estimate was $75) and then to be charged fees that THEY incurred saving themselves money is just wrong. $190 to ship a machine worth $700 doesn't seem quite right.

18. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

To use an Australian vernacular 'bloody-oath mate!

19. Ross

Ross Member

Yeah, I was pretty silly and already paid.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I have also sent a "please explain" email.

It appears that to save themselves money they are planning to send a bulk shipment to Australia. This means that the Australian backers are now expected to pay taxes at the receiving end because the total of the whole shipment is over $1000 value.

There has been no explanation why $75 shipping is not enough and the options.

Not good enough and not professional. The whole approach needs a rethink.