1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

News about the R2?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Sep 2, 2016.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I heard rumblings about a kickstarter campaign on a thread the other day. I couldn't find an official announcement though. If course they are also looking for a new social networking manager. Maybe that is why they have forgotten to put anything out on twitter and other outlets. This is the first time I've heard him mention a C2. He's always called them both R2. I've had a feeling that they were ramping up for something. They have had some huge R1+ discount sales. A kickstarter is interesting. E3D went that direction for getting interest and funds for building the BigBox. If course earlier this year Robo partnered(sold major shares) to another company with deep pockets. Do why would they need a kickstarter campaign for funds. Are they just concerned about if interest is strong enough after all these years of empty promises? Does there their new printer have enough new innovations to compete with the rapid market advancements already released? Would you back this? Seriously? Kickstarter is no guarantee of delivery. And with the track record of promises that never come from Robo around new product, including the r2, can we trust they will actually deliver our deliver in any reasonable time frame? The r2 has been being promised in the next 2 months for over 2 years and nothing. Remember there other plans that were vapor? Multi color/type filament extrusion device, the 3d model repository similar to Thingiverse, the e-nable kit sold with every printer starting this year, their commitment to staying open source, and several more. For the past couple years all I have heard from Robo at CES is a list of exciting new products and services with no follow through. That tour of take record that Braydon himself has set with his own words and marketing makes me caution any type of kickstarter campaign.

I don't mean to be all negative, but I've grown tired of broken promises from Robo. It's become a joke in the community. I love my R1 the openness it gives for modifications and quality parts I make with it. Will I love an R2? Probably so, but will it be open source, will it deliver anything new that other printers aren't already excelling at for similar price?

I'm off my soap box. Thanks again for the link. I've been looking for confirmation to the rumors. I look forward to seeing their campaign. To see them actually moving forward will be awesome.

#2 danzca6, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Brandon had a post on Facebook yesterday about this.

I am glad to see they are moving forward and a little put off that they a re using kickstarter to do it.
    I "get" the reason why (it would buffer the retooling costs) but kickstarter today is not what it was when the Beta was released that way. Too many printer companies have gone down in flames :)

Also the R2 is "dual extruder capable" rather than just being dual extruder...
    A bit of a let down there as well.

jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  4. danzca6

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You signing up ? I think I'm out. They can send me one for testing if they like, I've got quite a backlog this week lol

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I signed up for more info. I've not been at it long enough to have seen all the disappointment others have seen. I like to see for myself THEN get disappointed. LOL.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  7. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Kickstarter? I'm out.

Also does anyone know what is going on with the Big Box? its been out of kickstarter foreeever and you still can't seem to order or buy them, their webpage seems broken now too. ( All the stuff from their store is gone except 4 items, I can't even find the printer on there anymore in the store )

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:) no dissapointment in a new printer regardless of previous hype. Loads of good ones out there in that price point. My only advice is weigh the options and buy one that fits your needs :)

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought they were selling them ? Tom has a youtube video about his big box kit they sent him for testing but thats the last i heard or read about it.

10. KTMDirtFace

Yea I have been wanting to buy one for months, can't find them.

Their forum page had a update from somone from e3d on produciton, but it hasnt been updated for months now. Their twitter hasn't been posted too since early july either.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yikes. Production problems id imagine. Itd be hell to make a bunch of kits lol

12. KTMDirtFace

#12 KTMDirtFace, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  13. danzca6

BigBox is going through some redesign/retooling to make manufacturing more efficient from what I read. It's been hard for them to keep up with demand and instead decided to stop sales until they get caught up. No worries if you are still wanting one. They'll be for sale again soon.

14. danzca6

I did sign up, but just for information. No plans on buying. Like I mentioned before, if I were to buy one it would not be through kickstarter with their track record of broken promises.

Geof likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I understand the business logic behind using kickstater to help fund the retooling.
    They are though in a much tougher market than last time. Prices points will matter a lot.

16. danzca6

Sorry if I don't totally agree with their need for the kickstarter for funding. They were bought by Falcon Minerals awhile back. Their pockets are a lot deeper now than some college students trying to get a business started. It just seems odd to me after 2 years plus of saying they are going to release the r2 over and over again. Money you give to a kickstarter is at risk. There is no guarantee. That is why i won't be supporting theirs. I just can't trust that this time they will deliver. And like you said price will be a big factor. Lots of big dogs out there now and does Robo even have something that will attract the buyers to them over another established competitor. I love my r1 and have good success with dealing with Robo, but there has always between something around the r2 that didn't feel right.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not sure who all you are grouping together there. A lot of competitors are gone the way of the dodo :)
    The big dogs (IMHO) are StrataSys, 3D systems and (oddly enough) HP. None of which compete in this price range.

Is there competition at their (previous) price points? Yes, and more importantly they have not really spread the brand name as broadly as you would expect given the time they have been selling. Since we do not know what prices they are targeting yet (but I certainly expect them to be more than previously) I can't say yet :)

Unless the printer tech is advanced or the prices sweet I am not sure what to expect from the kickstarter. I will watch it though.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

But I sure wish they did :)

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, they were originally one of the first 3D printers to do a kickstarter and they were able to deliver at a (then) really good price point albeit with a slightly extended delivery time.

Since then a *lot* of 3D printers have failed on KS. A lot. Some never got funded and then there were the ones that got funded and failed to deliver. While Robo might not fall into that category (I suspect they have a handle on their production cost numbers now) there are many others that have left a taint on the pond (so to speak) :)

20. KTMDirtFace

Its just weird that they have been going on about releasing it and shipping it for so long, now its a kickstarter?

I don't care anymore lol.