1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Prometheus System coming to Kickstarter to give dual color extrusion with single hotend

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by danzca6, Aug 30, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Looks like Joel Telling is getting some Prometheus system love as well. It starts at the samples Eric sent him.

Watch to the end where he shows off @ChaosCoreTech ship model made on a ROBO and painted by a very talented young lady (his wife). So dare I say an alternate to dual extrusion ;) I wish I had talent...but for those of us that don't, thankfully we have Prometheus system. Ok..Now to go list some things on Craigslist so I can afford this crazy new tech.

#41 danzca6, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

...and Tom reviews it:

danzca6 likes this.
  4. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Geof likes this.
  5. danzca6

So guys if we can find 10 people we can save about $7 each on the 10 pack option ;) Looks great Eric. My only concern is using this system on a Robo with the way the enclosure is. If we had an open top design it would work just fine, but with the cover the way it is the Profeeder will reduce the Z build height by a lot. So part of the Robo modification for this system would be to alter the current lid for the Robo. Some are already going topless and maybe a simple 20x20 extrusion frame would still give the Z smooth rods support and allow for this system to have the space it is going to require for Z travel.

6. regor

regor Member

7. danzca6

Eric, @RP Iron Man, what is the length from the top of the V2 to the top of the ProFeeder? I can't believe your early birds for the system are gone...well...yes I can believe it. Already way over your goal man. Congrats!

#47 danzca6, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  8. danzca6

I'm pretty confident that there will be a profile for S3D pretty soon after release. They have been using Cura because it is free. I know @Geof is getting one of these and he will have it printing in S3D. Eric might already have that all set to go. Too popular not to have a solution coming for S3D. Maybe not for MatterControl though ;)

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm getting mine but gotta wait and hope there is one available Friday :) spent all my cash on toys lol.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not exactly sure of the difficulty but s3d has dual ext. capability,I use it on the sigma, so I'm certain we can do it

#51 Geof, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  12. danzca6

WHAT? I thought you were going to be the first.

Can we use your credit card buddy? Haha...Tom's video got me all fired up about this thing again.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought I was too....but the lady found out about some purchases lol...dog house. Lol!!!! I was hoping we could use yours... Then again if I buy 3 I can have 4 dual extruding printers :)

14. danzca6

DOH!!! I told you not to stop for those extra machines...haha!!! Well if we use mine I keep the miles. :cool: I'm already trying to come up with a new top for the Robo so the Profeeder doesn't interfere with it and kill the z height.

I wonder what these are going to retail for after the Kickstarter.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm imagining my bansaw and a bigger slot

I picked all them up then2 today and 2 more Monday lol. I'm grounded.lol

16. regor

regor Member

What type of carriage can be used with the Prometheus? Is there already one on thingverse for the Robo?

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The standard Greg wade for the direct drive hotend. Not sure how I'm going to do it Bowden yet but as long as it's secured it won't matter. Prob just make an adaptor to go on top of the quick release and use the original bolts and off to the races

18. danzca6

Regular x carriage with a quick release plate should work. May needed to design something for wire management.

19. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

There are going to be so many clogs after people start trying to use this.

20. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@danzca6 The length from nozzle tip to the top of the ProFeeder is about 13cm.

As for Simplify 3D that is definitely something we will work on after the campaign. For now, we have to recommend CURA because it is free and that is what we have been testing with.

@daniel871 As you can see in the Kickstarter video and campaign page, we have showcased many successful printed parts in addition to time-lapses of parts being printed. In fact, a third of our video is just time-lapses!

Recently we have printed THOUSANDS of filament switches in a row without a single jam. Of course, we cannot guarantee that there will not be any temporary issues while people are getting the system dialed in, but we are confident that this product will be successful based on the extensive testing we have done.

Cheers,
    Eric

Geof likes this.