1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

News about the R2?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is the business challenge they have to meet. They have to make people want it.
    Not just new users, but old ones too. Make it exciting. The first one was.
    The next two were nice, but just incremental upgrades. Time now for a leap :)

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

They have openings for a marketing director and social media manager. So I agree it's a push

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would put the Lulzbot printers in the same bracket as Robo is trying to sell into. Ultimaker compete in the same space but at a higher price point. Both with much higher quality. There are other bigger companies that also compete for the same customers. I will probably sign up but only for information. There doesn't appear to be anything innovative or exciting about this Kickstarter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

After it comes out of kickstarter and is available on their website and on amazon I'll reconsider. ( if its good )

danzca6 likes this.
  5. danzca6

Well this news kind of adds to the mystery....Braydon said in his reddit announcement that the company was rebranding from being Robo 3D to just Robo...but this article states the new name will be Robo 3D Technologies Limited...because 3D Technologies should be Limited...right...Well the new 100% owners of R3DTL will be a question mark in this whole kickstarter campaign.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160...quire-of-3d-printer-manufacturer-robo-3d.html
    https://3dprint.com/148791/falcon-minerals-robo-3d/
    http://www.proactiveinvestors.com.a...to-acquire-3d-printer-manufacturer-70939.html

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Luke W

Luke W New Member

I would presume that 'Limited' is referring to Robo 3d technologies being Limited Company meaning that if ROBO goes under, the owners are limited in what they are required to fund to to the defunct company to cover debts, lawsuit damages, etc... in the US, 'Corporation' is the preferred terminology over 'Limited Company', so they may be reincorporating under the AU flag or just renaming to comply with local convention/regulations.

7. danzca6

Hahaha! Yeah I know the difference of a LLC. I just wanted to make a joke over the new name. :) Good point though about what the strategy around the name change is about.

Geof likes this.
  8. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

So tomorrow is the day. I'm surprised (again) that the email list they have been pushing hasn't been sent any early info.

9. danzca6

They tweeted a teaser pic on Sunday, but it was another rendering/Photoshop job. My suggestion, don't hold your breath.

Geof likes this.
  10. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

FWIW, when I called about buying my refurbished R1+ a few weeks ago, I asked specifically about the R2 and how far off it might be, since I'd seen a video where they were at a maker faire somewhere talking about and then saw a link to an article talking about how it would be essentially the same price but a lot better in terms of speed and such. I didn't want to buy a printer and find myself a generation behind three days later. At that time, the R3 rep suggested the R2 was coming out in October, I think. Then I googled and saw that it had...shall we say 'been tardy' before this? ;)

If they ARE going the KS route, I would assume it will be another 6 months to a year before any product sees the market.

11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea one of the shows said it would be out in April this year for $1400

Then August... now kickstarter.

Only they know lol.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What happens if the kickstarter failes ;-)

13. danzca6

Then it's 3 more years of the R1...R1 for life baby! Haha

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm.... R1 eh??? Thought it was all about the + ;)

15. danzca6

Oh it will be plus plus plus

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry is that a new Kickstarter ?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are in the middle of a tiny bit of corporate restructuring now.
    I have no insight into if or how that might affect things, but you never know.

I still say I can understand (given their original success on KS) the reason they want to use KS to jump-start the R2 process, but it is (my humble opinion only) a less than best choice at this stage given the more recent failures with KS printers. That alone has left a bad tastes in everyone's mouth with respect to kickstarter funded printers.

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They have actually had some working printers at trade shows, but I'd consider those prototypes. I don't think they have a production line tooled up yet. That is the expensive bit -- a lot of money up front.

19. danzca6

Well yes they had printers there, but not one interview or video of them there have I seen it actually printing. I have been told they were working, but just no video proof. And yes, they were indeed prototypes. One got dropped kicked off of a UPS truck on the way to one of the shows and Braydon said in an interview that they were the only ones they had when explaining why they didn't have one on display at the show.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. danzca6

Interesting...I went to link to the youtube video that Press Reset did about the broken prototype interview with Braydon and it is no longer available...big brother...foil hat...conspiracy :)

EDIT: The internet never forgets...buahahaha....I knew I posted it in the shoutbox and thankfully we archive. About a minute and 20 seconds in.

#40 danzca6, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016