1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

.2mm nozzle and simplify3d. dumb question

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by mjones0216, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mjones0216

mjones0216 New Member

So as the title states, this is probably a dumb question. I want to use a .2mm nozzle for small parts. Do I have to change any other parameters besides the nozzle width and extrusion width? and obviously I'll print a lo slower also. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes

Layer height should be 30-60% of the nozzle diameter for best results.

Rule of thumb, not hard and fast data.

mjones0216 likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb... There are never any dumb questions here. If you don't know and you don't ask, well then that is dumb. So please feel comfortable asking anything about your printer here. Even if it is just a double check. Cheers!

Geof and mjones0216 like this.
  4. mjones0216

mjones0216 New Member

Thanks guys! Simplify3d will control the flow rate right? I won't have to compensate for the smaller nozzle? Do you have any other tips for printing with smaller nozzles? I just want to learn as much as possible about this printer and the upgrades I do.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The flow is calculated so as long as the extruder is calibrated you are fine.
    Only other hint is to drop speed linear to your resolution. So (for example) if you go from 0.2 layer height to a 0.1 then cut the movement speed in half.

6. senseisimple

senseisimple New Member

Is this because a finer extrusion is more prone to being stretched thin or is there some other reason like the faster movements leaving artifacts because the detail is greater (like resonance or jerking)?

Also, do you know if simplify3d automatically compensates for different layer heights/extrusion widths in this way?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It does not automatically do anything like that as far as I know. You have to adjust the defaults (which are for a 0.4 nozzle) to the values you want if memory serves. I have not messed with my profiles in a long time so I can't say if current behavior is different.

Remember to keep layer height 30%-60% of nozzle size normally for best results, but going smaller is not a huge problem if the printer is well tuned.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can verify that simplify does not do anything on its own. You must make the changes yourself. I save my profile and a new one, name it .25 nozzle and create a set up specifically for that. you'll need to test print to make sure everything is where you need it but as the others pointed out

Nozzle size (and layer width if not set to auto)

Speed

layer height

minimum cooling time per layer

temperature (on my set up I had to raise my temp quite a bit - 10 degrees or so)

z offset

I have ran a .25 as fast as 30mm/s, but I wouldn't recomend it. if its a very small/detailed part I have a .25 nozzle, 10mm/s speed, and wait...and wait.

edit: I do strongly recommend making a new FFF for your different size nozzles.

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.