1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 and Robo R2 Smart 3D Printers

Discussion in 'ROBO 3D News and Announcements' started by ROBOLabs, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hey fellow Robo enthusiast —

We're pleased to announce our new range of printers: Robo R2 and Robo C2. These new machines are poised to set the standard by which all future printers will be measured.

We're in full-scale production, and set for general market release in November for Robo C2—with Robo R2 not far behind in January 2017. Before those big days arrive, enjoy exclusive rewards and exclusive pricing on a limited run of Robo C2 and Robo R2 only on Kickstarter.

We may have reached our goal in record time — $100K in less that three hours — but there are still plenty of Early Bird specials available.

It's our way of saying "thank you" for your continued support and inspiration, and here's to happy making!

Check it out here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1238702276/robo-c2-and-robo-r2-smart-3d-printers

2. Shrp77

Shrp77 New Member

This is very cool - I didn't get in on the super early bird for the R2, but did get in on the early bird!

Question - does the printer provide a REST interface or is there an SDK for communicating with the printer over the wireless interface? (i.e. warming up, printing layer X of Y, low filament warning, print object etc.)

I keep my printer in the garage and my main workstation is upstairs in the 2nd floor. I'd love to check in on the printer, maybe even get a print-job system icon that keeps track of how the print job is going. Not to mention accessing the camera so I can check if the print job has become a botched pile of PLA plastic that's being dragged around the print bed...

ROBOLabs and Rigmarol like this.
  3. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hi Shrp77,

Thanks for supporting our campaign, and congrats on your new acquisition!! The interface is a REST API. It includes tons of cool features and functionality. You're going to love your new workflow: processing is all done on your computer and transmitted to the printer wirelessly. You can warm up your printer, move axes, and check on it via the camera built into your R2, all without getting up out of your chair. Beyond that, you can make settings changes, flash EEPROM, update firmware, and many other things, without having to tether your printer to a computer. I've personally been using OctoPrint on the new machines, and the convenience compared to the old way of doing things is unparalleled. Once you experience the convenience and utility of your new Robo R2, you'll never look back. We hope you enjoy your new R2, and we thank you for your support!!

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

@ROBOLabs

Couple questions about what is under the hood if you don't mind. Is this a 12 or 24 V system? Are the steppers .9 or 1.8 degree steppers? What controller board are you using? Is the Firmware Marlin based? If so, what version? What type of stepper drivers? What hotend are you using?

Geof and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  5. danzca6

I'd like to know more about this monitoring of users prints and the rewards program that is supposed to be behind it? It's mention was brief in this video and peaked my curiosity and if folks will be able to opt out of this kind of sharing?

https://www.periscope.tv/ROBO3D/1kvKpVRqdgLJE

#5 danzca6, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  6. danzca6

Also is the IR height sensor being used the DC42 height sensor by David Crocker? I haven't heard of a new version coming of that. It is what I already have on my R1 to do ABL. It's great. Of course, I feel the market is going to be transitioning to using mesh leveling very soon with the new releases of Marlin. So the usage of the IR might not be as spectacular. Still makes an excellent Z axis homing probe.

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

To add to what @danzca6 has requested. Probably some dumb questions but oh well!

Can the IR sensor be used for MESH leveling or ABL?

I would like to know more on the Firmware as well. Do you have your own version of Marlin again? And will it be maintained/updated?

Also I hope this new design withstands all the shipping problems that occurred with the R1? Or hopefully you have a few extra locks in place to keep everything secure during the shipping process.

As for the Hotend, you say it is a hybrid, but a hybrid of what? Is it a Hexagon, E3D, some other hotend, or your own design? Cost of the additional extruder? Or can we purchase anything? Just think....if we could add the new Prometheus System you could print 3 different colors or 4 if you replace both!! Getting ahead of myself now.

Is the app available on Android? I only hear talk about the iOS app. Sorry I'm an Apple Hater.

I would like to see a better numbering system for the revisions if there are any on these models. It is very hard to determine (without pictures) which model someone is using in order to help them in these forums.

Will there be a completely different forum for the C2 and R2, instead of combining with this one?

Are either the C2 or R2 completely enclosed? From the video it would appear the C2 is not. But since it doesn't have a heated bed, it wouldn't really matter, besides maybe reduce the dB. It does look like the R2 has a door in some of the pictures.

Can we still get replacement parts for the R1, or do we have to buy elsewhere now?

Can we see some prints? All the videos show it printing but you never get to see the actual print.

Why did you choose C2? I feel D2 would have been a way better name!

Just so you know you have a few block alignment issues with the new website. :D

Attached Files:

danzca6 likes this.
  8. danzca6

They mentioned this will be coming soon. From looking at Braydon's Apple watch.... He's a fan. Haha.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  9. danzca6

Excellent point! Please Robo... Hear us on this one!

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Ryan TeGantvoort If it is a standard IR sensor it can be used for both ABL and MESH. but I highly doubt that Robo decided to use Marlin 1.1.0 on this run. It is likely 1.0.0 again, which means no MESH! The only real change they have ever made was to Configuration.h and not to any source code. When I get out from under all the design requests I have had and I remember where I misplaced the IR sensor that @jim3Dbot sent me I will be looking at the new Marlin code to see how the IR sensor fits.

jim3Dbot, Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  11. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hi danzca6,

With the caveat being that certain components are still being finalized, I'll go ahead and answer a few of your questions, which I'm sure others may be wondering about as well.

Tentatively speaking, we're running a 19V system for the time being; this is one spec that may or may not change. The motors are Nema 17, 1.8-degree steppers. We're using a version of a Mega2560/RAMPS AIO board, but I'm not yet at liberty to discuss the details of said board, so I can't accurately answer this question, nor the one about the stepper drivers, just yet. We're using Marlin RC7 firmware; the hotend is a Hexagon.

I'll also take this opportunity to clarify a few things (I'll try to post this in some of the other threads as needed): our latest offerings are still open-source--not even sure where the closed-source rumor originated, but it is false. We're using Raspberry Pis in conjunction with our main boards to facilitate on-board slicing via CuraEngine and OctoPrint. This means that you can either import STLs into the OctoPrint interface and let it slice natively using CuraEngine, or you can slice your files using whichever slicing engine you'd like and import the g-code into OctoPrint to begin printing. I hope this clears things up a bit.

12. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Don't worry, guys--we have this covered. ;)

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  13. danzca6

19V is interesting. Couldn't decide and just went for middle road? hahaha..just kidding. That does have my curiosity and will be waiting to hear more about that. From the pics I saw I could see the RPi and what looked like a single controller board like a Rambo which is similar to what you explained. I am very please to hear you are taking the jump to RC7. That shows a great step forward. So now the question of why not go for Mesh leveling?

jim3Dbot and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  14. danzca6

With that, I would love to see better efforts with providing the models for the various parts of the R2/C2/Pro2 for those of us who like to make modifications and innovations off of your base designs for new accessories and products released to market that you don't offer off of the shelf. I know @Mike Kelly did a fantastic job at providing the R1 files in Solid Works for the community, but would have liked to see more of that coming from Robo. The fact that you didn't provide any schematics on the customized RAMPS for the R1+ and none of the new parts for the R1+ were ever given to the community as models, I think started our community to think that you were going away from open source. We kind of have gotten forgotten over here with all the work you have been doing on the R2 series printers.

15. danzca6

I second that all the way...why not have prints from the printers on display? With the advertised lower resolution it would really be a great thing to see. Flexibles, PLA, PETG, ABS...proof is in the pudding my friends. :)

16. danzca6

I don't think either are completely enclosed. The top is still open on either one. However the R2 does have the plexiglass hinged door. The C2 does not. Now....If we had the designs around the case we could design one to fit the C2...looking at you Robo ;) Of course I am sure Robo will have that as an additional accessory to purchase just like the heated bed for the C2.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are some good AIO boards out there and many offer excellent additional features. That itself is certainly not a down-side.

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The open source hardware style of the R1 series is a huge plus frankly.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  19. danzca6

Firmware controlled driver currents would be a nice upside if offered with the R2 series printers.

20. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hi Ryan TeGantvoort,

We have designed some better packaging, both aesthetically pleasing and practical.

I'm thinking the C2 and the R2 will each have their own forum. Despite sharing some DNA, they're two different products created to fill their respective niches.

Currently, the R2 does have a plexiglass front door (the C2 does not), but keep in mind that neither machine is "fully enclosed," since there's no top cover over the gantry.

We'll continue to provide replacement parts for the R1. If we decide to stop offering replacement parts for the R1, considering the majority of them are widely-available open-source parts, we'll post links to places where you can purchase them.

We'll be posting pics of prints shortly; I just need more time with the few toys we have available in the shop. :D

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.