1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

News about the R2?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Sep 2, 2016.

1. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Your wallet has my condolences.

You do realize that the R2 has been "on track" since the original promised release date of "Winter 2014", right?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If they are doing the kickstarter then they are likely on solid track to actually deliver now (like they did with the beta -- not new territory for them).

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Hmm so it sounds like its totally open source. has a raspberry pi 3 inside of it running octoprint...and their phone app interfaces with that i guess.

Well thats cool.

Im interested. I have too many printers right now though lol

I don't have facebook so i can't watch more than a minute of their video before it wants me to login.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is smart. I know the O/S hardware and firmware has been a big help in selling (and maintaining) the original Robos. If they gave that up I would certainly think that a foolish move. It doesn't matter to certain folks, but for the ones that it does... it really does.

5. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

20-300 microns. I would have to see the 20 microns to believe it.

Also 16mm3/s? In other words: 0.4mm (nozzle) x 0.2mm (layer height) x 200mm/s (print speed) = 16mm3/s

I don't see the quality being there when printing at 200mm/s based on my experience with the R1+. But I have been wrong before! o_O

I think I will take my chances with a Prusa MK2 for the price of that C2. The cost of the R2 seems a little ludicrous but they have added alot of features compared to the R1.

It looks kinda cool and some of the added features seem very useful at least. I would have to say Wi-Fi is a bad idea. I direct connect everything when possible.

On-board slicing (Cura), so no more S3D for Robo Printers? Seems to me like they are trying to move to a printer setup like the Stratasys, while keeping the cost reasonable for the average consumer. Basically a Plug and Print machine, again I will have to see this to believe it.

Hurry and send one to Tom so I can watch his review!!!! :D

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it has a Pi on-board they may be using a flavor of Octoprint or something similar.

7. KTMDirtFace

The beginning of their facebook video said it is running octoprint. ( among other things )

I wish they would post that video here or on you-tube so I could actually watch it..seemed like all of my questions are probably answered in that video but I can't watch it because I don't have a facebook account and refuse to make one.

Nothing wrong with WIFI, its not like its streaming GCODE over wifi. you send the file to it. then its self sufficient then...assuming thats how they have it setup with octoprint.

#87 KTMDirtFace, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  8. KTMDirtFace

From the breif bit of the facebook video I saw. I think this is Cura on a raspberry pi 3 running a octoprint variant?. you should be able to use whatever slicer you want.

#88 KTMDirtFace, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

OK...I don't have Facebook and was able to watch the whole thing without issue. Not sure why some are having issue, but try again. Hopefully you can watch it.

10. danzca6

You can use whatever slicer you want. Just upload the g code. If you upload STL or obj then you have the same options for slicing as anything that comes with the octopi.

11. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

12. Wayne Baker

Wayne Baker New Member

Alexa, change the filament.

I think I just want a printer that works well, I don't need an app, WiFi or blue LEDs.
    My R1 works pretty well, I have no current need for another printer but if I was in the market for one it would be nice if they made a
    version of the R2 with out the extras, I don't need a touchscreen or a Raspberry Pi, I just need a solid printer that is easy to work on when something needs fixed.

Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The filament run-out detect is a feature that they should have had on the R1+ frankly. It was something you could add since the beta if you built it yourself. Glad to see that on there.

Geof likes this.
  14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of the remote/monitoring features are easily Octoprint/Raspberry Pi enabled things, so I'm not seeing anything that justifies the radically increased price.

At least it looks like MatterControl is getting a backseat?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Eh, it helps a lot that it is just embedded in the printer.
    All the bits are to add the heatbed on the C2 which is also nice.

Sounds like they are still keeping it rather open.

16. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I shared the video with my wife (who had gone nutz over the Robo we bought) and she is impressed because of the style and what seems to promise and easier user experience rather than having to tinker with it as much. I don't know if that will be the case but she is keeping an eye on it.

Doesn't appeal to me at this point. I'm liking the prusa kit Tom reviewed the other day.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  17. danzca6

#97 danzca6, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

<shrug> only two on the KS campaign.

19. danzca6

Well Braydon said it is "coming" next year. If it will make it to market and if there will be a discount KS campaign like with the R2 and C2 is to be seen.

20. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

The video mentions a Pro2 version a year out. Gotta say - the video certainly counteracts the false assumptions posted earlier by some. I’m looking forward to receiving my R2.

Geof likes this.