1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 and Robo R2 Smart 3D Printers

Discussion in 'ROBO 3D News and Announcements' started by ROBOLabs, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Your webpage upgrade removed the parts for sale section. The glass build plate for the R1 is probably one of the bigger parts of concern. Everything else can easily be purchased since it is all open source electronics and such.

Home_user likes this.
  2. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

I would be nice to see the IR on the R2, per messages with Allen McAfee on May 24th & later phone conversations I understood the IR will be implemented & mounted to the rear of the hot end nozzle, thus improving visibility of the extrusion. The bed is going solid black, Allen was seeing the white areas causing a second reflection, as I also noticed.........Just created a video, showing the task of breaking down the stock R1 heatbed & removing the black & wht silkscreen..........Looking forward to more info on the R2...Thanks Ryan for coming on............

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I see the parts section is now back. Thank you

4. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Yup, thanks to you and others who pointed this out. Here's a link in case it ever disappears again:

http://store.robo3d.com/collections/parts/

There should be a few other parts added soon. We have some 3mm Hexagon extruders in-stock which work wonders with 3mm NinjaFlex and other formulations of TPU/TPE. They're plug-and-play, so no PTFE tube mods needed, simply make the necessary adjustments in your slicing engine and you're good to go.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If robo wanted to ship me one i have 3mm ninjaflex id be hapoy to do a thread on it for other users to see. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

@ROBOLabs I see you got your website block issues fixed! ;) Not quite centered but that's just my OCD kicking in!

Attached Files:

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Can I ask why you decided to change your logo? In terms of marketing, re-branding is a huge no-no. Plus all the added costs involved. Or is this something to do with the merger?

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

To be fair to the corporate guys on this one, I'm not really seeing any negatives to leaving behind all the baggage the R1 had after it's kickstarter was done (have you seen the kickstarter comments or the hilariously venomous reception it got on Reddit?).

It's pretty much guaranteed to be 99% due to the merger, though.

9. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Hi Ryan,

To be honest, that's more of a question for our marketing team, of which I'm not a part. We do, however, collectively feel that this is the right approach for the new direction of Robo. We feel the new logo is fresh, simple, contemporary, and more effectively reflects our team's personality as a whole.

10. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I have every confidence that had the logo NOT been changed there would be people who would think that was a bad idea too. I like the new logo, I like to see things change. It means someone is trying to move forward usually.

ROBOLabs likes this.
  11. daniel871

It almost never means that, in reality. Marketing is a funny thing, but you usually only ever see a company change its Brand logo for one of three reasons:

1 - The logo is outdated. Take a look at how Apple has changed their logo over the years for a prime example of this. You rarely see this with logos that are really simple or where the brand recognition is so ingrained that changing the logo would be a detriment (like Nike and other really recognizable brands that haven't changed their logo for over twenty years).
    2 - To try and get some distance from a lot of bad press associated with their logo. Take a look at some of the big Oil companies and how they changed their logos after one oil spill or another. Like BP, who paid $211 million dollars for the research into their current logo after that particularly bad spill they're still known for (but which is getting a dramatic movie starring Marky-Mark for some reason).
    3 - When companies merge. This is what happened in Robo's case. Usually when this happens though, it involves some kind of visual merging of the logos of the companies that are merging together (don't know enough about the company that bought Robo3D to compare their previous logos).

To clarify a bit, it's not about liking or disliking the change, it's just one more thing in a series of weird decisions Robo has made leading up to the promotional push for the new printer.

Like starting an entirely separate Kickstarter company profile instead of just renaming the original one (which you can do, one of the projects I've backed changed their company and kickstarter profile name twice as they shifted from simply being named after the project to their temporary company name to their final company name after registration finished in Luxembourg). Using the original company profile on Kickstarter with the new project associated with it would have had built-in links to the original project that was funded.

#31 daniel871, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  12. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

You don't have to explain your reasons to me, I have a totally different perspective and I'm ok with that.

I'm often wrong, I'm ok with that as well. To me its not worth the effort that you've put into it. But more power to you if you feel the need.

I prefer and choose to enjoy my hobby and it's tools in a positive way. I do it for fun. I'm not making money with my Robo I'm spending money on it. I'm a consumer, not a business person so that is my perspective.

I like the new Logo but if they changed it tomorrow it really wouldn't matter much to me.

regor, jim3Dbot, Geof and 2 others like this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If i could like more than once i would.

Rigmarol likes this.
  14. fredm

fredm Member

looking forward to seeing some prints from the R2.
    On a side note. I remember reading somewhere about being able to print supports with a soluble filament if your printer had two heads. At the time of reading it wasnt important to me. but now it sounds like this could be accomplished with the R2

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do it with a dual extruder. It's very difficult but can be done. I'd be interested to see how the new printers manage it.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I doubt anything has changed WRT how difficult it is :)
    It is not really a mechanical problem as much as it is a slicer problem.

Geof likes this.
  17. daniel871

There have been some pretty good proof-of-concept videos with the pros/cons of using the various options in Simplify3D to minimize the oozing problem (with the Ooze Shield tending to have the cleanest prints once the shield is removed).

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The ooze shield is what i use currently. Eventually ill get away from that as it expands print time considerably (not as bad as a prime tower) but the big issue i have is the wasted material. My machine has dump bins so whenever i get time to dial it in the dump bin should handle the stringing. Looks like the r2 will be set up on the same carriage like most machines so absolutely will need an ooze shield and hope for the best :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. daniel871

I've been seeing videos where people have been using the Ooze Shield on single-extruder printers as a sort of poor man's way of protecting the main body of an ABS print without having a proper enclosure.

Basically using it to create a barrier that blocks the main body of the print from being hit by stray cool drafts and, as the print gets closer to finishing, building a semi-insulated shell to trap heated air within the shield and protect the print from thermal shock as the printer cools down to ambient after a print is completed.

Geof and jim3Dbot like this.
  20. regor

regor Member

I'm in the same category as you are. Love my R1 and must have put every update into it, being open sourced makes this a really good system and I really like their team!

jim3Dbot, Rigmarol and ROBOLabs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.