1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo C2 and Robo R2 Smart 3D Printers

Discussion in 'ROBO 3D News and Announcements' started by ROBOLabs, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

My understanding is that it will work with any OctoPrint-enabled printer. Keep in mind I'm not one of the developers of the app, so I don't have all the info, but I'll do my best to relay the news to you guys as it develops.

Geof likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That would be the cat's meow...

Geof likes this.
  3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Here's the real question, can someone use the actual Octoprint app to run the Robo C2/R2?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@daniel871 The app appears to be just a front end to the OctoPrint web service, so I would assume as long as you know the IP address of your printer you could go straight to it from any browser.

There is a bit of added functionality with the Dropbox and Google Drive integration, but other than that I haven't seen any feature that didn't already exist in the Octoprint Web GUI already.

@danzca6 I see what you did there R2 D2 :lol:

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I personally don't see any use for the app. I guess if you don't have a PC?

I have 3 computers at home with octoprint bookmarks on all of them. I dont know why I would use my phone to control it.

It is cool though, if anything I would put it on a tablet and mount it to the robo...but the new robo has a touchscreen already... Wonder if I can make the app work with my current robo3d R1/R1+? ( that has a PI and octoprint on it already )

Printing a keychain out now...

#65 KTMDirtFace, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    WheresWaldo likes this.
  6. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Robo..person, what are the dimensions of that keychain? putting a pause code in at layer 9 is meaningless, depending on layer height.

I'm trying to print one dual color, but having to guess since its an STL file. So far I havn't guessed right.

I guess my question is what MM does the lettering start at from the bottom, and what is the total height?

EDIT: I think its 2mm and 4mm total.. having some other issue here..will print one tomorrow i guess.

#66 KTMDirtFace, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

What are you using to slice? If you go through and review the layer view it will show you at what layer the letters start and take into account your current layer height.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace It is all marketing. Marketing has to do with checkboxes. The more you check off, regardless of functionality or general acceptance, the higher the perceived value. Nearly everyone has a smartphone, except my dad, who like Leroy Jethro Gibbs still uses a flip phone, so to add that functionality helps check off another box.

More important than the App (which, by the way, I can't find on GITHUB) I really want to know what they added to Octoprint to build their touchscreen interface, nothing on GITHUB. If they made any changes to Marlin 1.1.0 RC7 I also can't find that on GITHUB.

Of course I am making an assumption that the touch interface was built on top of Octoprint since that would be much easier to do than to create that same functionality on top of Marlin.

9. danzca6

No I think I read that somewhere that the pi is hosting a suite of products and it is running the LCD...now where did I see that...sucks getting old man. :)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It gets... worse.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 Well if the Pi is actually a Pi and is running a suite then it won't be a crisp interface. The Pi is fast enough when using Octoprint but anything else, especially anything that does I/O will be unbearably slow. I am using a Pi2 and the touch interface as a plug in for Octoprint is not the fastest thing in the world, and I have tried several of them. The Pi3 is only marginally faster and I/O is still a bottleneck. That is the price you pay for wanting a $35 SBC.

If it is a real rPi then there is also a microSD card with the OS on it. I hope they spec'ed a good one. I know there are some compatible SBCs that have EMMC on them, usually at a price premium.

#71 WheresWaldo, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  12. danzca6

13. danzca6

Yep I see that now on the Kickstarter page. Might try it on my Robo R1 since I have an Rpi2 and Octoprint hooked to it....but I have to wait for the android version you apple loving hipsters ;) Haha!

Use it to control any Octoprint Enabled 3D Printer*

Ryan TeGantvoort and WheresWaldo like this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

1. Is the file pack just a bunch of STL files on a flash drive or is there more to it?
    2. A tee shirt is a stretch goal, really?
    3. I hate surprises

Ryan TeGantvoort and danzca6 like this.
  15. danzca6

I think a better stretch goal would be to include the second extruder on the R2...maybe that is the surprise goal. If so, announcing it would sell more R2 printers I think.

I did see the other day that Crutchfield.com sells Robos. And they sell USB drives labeled as Robo with various STL packs. I've never seen this before. http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/robo_3d_pack.html

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  16. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

One person had a pretty good comment on the Kickstarter Campaign.

Show us some torture test prints, calibration prints, benchy, etc.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 If I were king of the world, I would use something like an Odroid C1 with EMMC for the OS running Debian Jessie and Octoprint. Since octoprint uses the Curaengine and you really need Cura to change anything in the slicing profile I would probably have hidden the automatic slicing feature a little deeper. You are going to end up with a lot of noobs and failed prints without them knowing why, it simply isn't a be all end all solution. Cura's complexity and Octoprint's implementation is why you and I don't use it and use S3D instead. The app is okay, but iOS is not my cup of tea, plus like @KTMDirtFace I run Octoprint from a web browser and I don't use a smartphone to do it.

Since it's Octoprint and an rPi can I have access to the camera interface, or can I easily add a Logitech C920 USB webcam (that the FBI want me to cover)? Will there be a place to download the Debian image? Can I upgrade Octoprint to newer versions on my own? Do I have to wait for Robo to release new version? Will it really be open sourced? Just too many questions.

#77 WheresWaldo, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Pi3 is marginally better, but you are spot-on that I/O (analog or digital) on the Pi is, well, sucky performance. You can waste a lot of CPU cycles on it. There are ways (dark, evil ways) to improve it somewhat, but it is still sub-par. We routinely use the Pi for the high-level logic and push I/O off to an Arduino (or some sort of a clone) and let the Pi just talk to the embedded controller(s).

Obviously I have zero insight on what they have done, just tossing my 2 cents in there.

19. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I honestly thought the STL file pack was a joke lol! What do you suppose is on it? The keychain! o_O

And a T-Shirt, just keeps getting better! Can't wait to back them so I can get these two rewards!

The crutchfield USBs was interesting, never seen those either.

20. ROBOLabs

ROBOLabs Moderator

Yes, this is the way I've been printing on the new machines.

The app is an extra layer of convenience. Like you said, you can load it onto a tablet, and then you can control your printer while kicking back on the couch, enjoying a beverage of your choice. :p

Doh! Forgot to mention that I print my keychains at 200 microns. I was originally going to post some g-code, which is probably why I omitted that detail. The base of the keychain is 2mm thick, and the letters are 1mm thick.

Ditto. :cool:

They're coming. It's been quite hectic at Robo HQ these past few weeks. My toys should be back in my lab shortly. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.