1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Was - Linear Rails -Now making own printer

Discussion in 'Projects' started by KTMDirtFace, Oct 2, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I want to change out the X and maybe the Y to linear rails.

I'm using IGUS's webpage http://www.igus.com/wpck/16474/DryLin_T_Miniaturfuehrung

because you can get cadfiles in the dimensions you want... make it easy to mock up.

However I don't know squat about rails. would a single 12mm rail be enough spanned across the X axis? do they need a solid thing to mount to the full length? or are they strong enough to hold the weight themselves if its spanned?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

All the machines ive worked on have the rails supported and full length(not printers). If it were me id go big :).

Excited to see what you come up with. You going to center the belt as well ? Any other y mods while your at it ?

3. KTMDirtFace

Ok thanks.

I have no idea, im just playing around in fusion 360 right now with Mike Kellys full Robo.. and modding it to use IGUS linear rails.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think i read the tevo tarantula kit does a single.down the middle of the bed but dont quote me on that. Ill see if i can find any examples that are similar to robo design and throw the links up.

5. KTMDirtFace

The Maker Gear M2 has a single down the middle too.

And a Fixed linear rail on the top. ( its bed moves up and down on leadscrews)

I'm mucking with the X axis at the moment. Then Y.

Geof likes this.
  6. KTMDirtFace

Not working very well to retrofit the current robo.

I may do something else like just make my own printer with the parts. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can understand this. Retrofit means having to accept some limitations already built in.
    It would not be tremendously much more work to simply design your own from the start.
    The linear rails is a really cool idea (it will come with a new set of limitations, but the trade-off is likely worth it).

8. KTMDirtFace

Mostly it was a problem of fitting everything with the current lead screws and rods..so I would have to move those around.

At that point whats the point anymore might as well just get some TSlot aluminum or something and make my own frame.

#8 KTMDirtFace, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Like I said last week...you get to a point an realize that it's no longer going to be a Robo. Build your own from scratch. Then you can make it anyway you want. Some 20x20 extrusions make a nice frame.

10. janot928

janot928 Active Member

Why do it the easy way ? Too easy XD

11. KTMDirtFace

Yep doing that now in fusion 360, making it fully customizable with modify parameters at least in w/d/h and tslot extrusion size..so I can change numbers to move stuff around then measure in fusion to figure out what length i actually need to make things. I'm a noob at 360 so it might take awhile. Pretty sure I'm going to cartesian style.

I havn't got very far :) I guess I should keep my newer Robo so I can print parts for this crazy project.

Edit: Removed Old Pic. now I can adjust Interior Width, height, Electronic width height, and feet height, and size of the TSlot Extrusion peices..though they are just generic rectancles now. Ok I officially think fusion 360 is sweet! I havn't got too far yet though lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other thing is I have some giant ball screws in a box from my first ever 3d printer( leapfrog creatr thats in 100 peices now ). Wonder if I should use those instead of the linear rods/motors.

#11 KTMDirtFace, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Head over to McMaster Carr and start downloading like crazy! They have a ton of 80/20 aluminum framing already designed just have to modify the lengths. Plus you can add all the hardware as well. No need to reinvent the wheel.

mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  13. Ryan TeGantvoort

I am planning on designing my own printer just so I can say I did it! Plus, you never know, I might build it some day.

14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

15. KTMDirtFace

Yes I got some from grabcad actually but i'll check there too. I'll "intersect" its profile with my current blocky tubing when the time comes. Wasn't sure what size tubing I want yet.

#15 KTMDirtFace, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  16. Ryan TeGantvoort

GrabCAD or SolidWorks 3D Content Central is another place I use very often. Or try www.openbuilds.com for some more ideas.

17. janot928

janot928 Active Member

do you know the youtube chanel Tech2C ? He has been creating a new 3d printer
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_scf0U4iSELX22nC60WDSg

18. KTMDirtFace

Yea i watched his build videos.

19. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

One of the coolest video he put out is how to replace the leadscrew in an integrated stepper motor. I didn't realize how easy it was to fix a bent leadscrew or change out for a different length.