1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Relay switch addition to prevent heat bed cutting out

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Nov 23, 2013.

1. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looked at them 3 times, with glasses and a flashlight... there are no markings AT ALL on mine. They are blank yellow.

2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike,

You cannot violate Ohm's Law. It is a LAW!

No matter what power is available to me, if V = 12 and R = 1.3, I must equal 9.2308. It doesn't matter if I'm hooked up to a 12 volt mega big generator, only 9.2308 apms of current can flow (initially). As heat builds in the heat bed, resistance may drop allowing more current to flow, allowing more heat to build, which could allow more current to flow and the cycle could go on until something starts to melt. That is one reason why we have temperature control via feedback from the thermistor.

At any rate, I've tested the relay on over 6 printers now. It's worked great every time. If you don't want to use it, there is still the fan option, the option of removing the polyswitch and replacing it with a higher current limit polyswitch, or going for the more expensive relay that Leon Grossman found. This thread is a discussion of the same issue and has some really good info :http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...heat-bed-cutting-out-using-relay-switch.1300/

Casey, that's not a bad idea, let us know if that works!

3. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

It would seem if we are getting some variance in the polyswitch our supplier is using. That could be part of the problem. Especially if we can't even look up the part to get specs on it since there's no part number on it.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Checked it out. Thanks. Sounds like you have PID control. Is there anyway you can show a pic of your bed wiring setup?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the way it sounds and from what I understand or think I do it sounds like that is teh pulse that is used to heat up the bed but I thouhg ti would turn on once ans stay until the heat was reached and then click only as needed to turn the heat back on to maintain teh temp so it would click on warmi tup to get it back to the set temp then shut of and it would cool some thenit would CLICK back on and heat it again and so on and so on manitaining the temp until I turned it off

The click click click click surprised me

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ohms law is an ideal law and only holds true in certain conditions :)

But you are right as heat builds, resistance will decrease until ideal conditions are met at which point the current and resistance will equal the voltage. However a lot of that has to do with the supplied amperage.

We need to know the max power of your kapton heaters, that will be the final say in how much current it can draw, especially as a 1.6ohm resistance on your ohm meter could be as high as +-1ohm depending on your multimeter. So going just off of resistance is a little iffy.

You can know for sure by hooking the kapton heater up to the 30A power supply and measuring it's current draw. That will tell you without a doubt if a 15A relay is adequate or if it draws greater than 10A. Or looking at the specs based on energy density and size to determine it's max power and using that value to determine how much current draw it can pull.

As for the temperature control, as the heater uses PWM control that means it cycles max power over a high frequency to give a average power output. So when using a relay you have to allow for max current draw as that what it is allowing to pass through.

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is the wiring connection points...should be match to yours
    2013-11-28 21.11.04.jpg 2013-11-28 21.21.46.jpg

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok here's another thing jerry, even if we assume less than 15A load, that relay will never work for a number of reasons.

Even if it's a SSR and not a mechanical relay which I don't think it is because A) SSR's aren't rated for both DC and AC, one or the other, this one is rated for both B) the cycle rate C) it clicks

I had trouble finding this part # GEO 3F-12V3, but I came across this: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21112136926880

This lists the max switch rating at no load 300ops/min and rated load of 20ops/min. Currently the heater is running on 10Hz PWM so that means 600ops/min, well above the rate No Load rating. This will die very quickly under given conditions.

Even if the it can withstand the switching rate it's only good for 100,000,000 mechanical cycles, at 10hz, that's around 11.5days of use, not a very long life. The electrical is even worse at 100,000 cycles, or ~2.8hours

We really need an SSR approach.

10. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

The problem with using a relay, SSR or otherwise, is that you are bypassing the protection. if your heat bed shorts something is going to go up in smoke instead of being protected by the PTC fuse.

Looking at the ramps 1.4 wiki that Cambo posted, that PTC fuse should he this one. Obviously it is working until everything heats up and that is the downfall of this type of protection device. The hold current must be set with the ambient temperature in mind.

I don't have my printer yet so I don't know how close we are talking but I am assuming it is getting warm down there. The hold current for the PTC fuse drops as temperature increases, as you can see from the datasheet, page 138 (RGEF1100). For instance the rating at 25C is 11A, but if things are heated up to 50C then the hold current is only 8.8A and anything much higher than that will eventually cause it to trip (we are pushing around 10A through it???).

What we really need to know is what the "ambient" temperature by this PTC fuse is when the heat bed is running at 100C (or whatever the max temp is for the bed)? Then the proper PTC fuse can be chosen, most likely the solution is the RGEF1400 which is only $1.22.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is the spec sheet for this relay

specs.png

12. polylac

polylac New Member

You can use a Transistor if you know how to do it.
    A field effect tranistor (FET) would be best, a big one (about 3$) like this one here:
    http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...401-da-01-en-Hexfet_Power_Mosfet_IRLU3717.pdf
    has an on resistance of 4mOhm => less than 1W power loss at 15 Amps, so that should work just fine.

a high ohm resistor is needed for the base contact to the ground or whatever (otherwise it might doesn't go out after turned on)

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

not true hockey that's why in my mods i've added a circuit breaker on the load side of the ssr to protect against shorts. (shown in the photo below) see my post here http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/heatbed-and-bed-leveling.841/page-2 and here
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?attachments/ssr-heatbed-wire-diagram-v1-png.850/

the control side of the ssr is still protected by the stock resettable fuse.

CIMG2491.JPG

another problem area that contributes to the temperature issues, is that the robo control board is mounted upside underneath. so any heat given off by arduino ramps board is not convected naturally out. instead the heat goes back into the board AND IT GETS FAIRLY WARM UNDERNEATH. Better way is to mount it right side up.

I've used this board on 3 different printers with no issues. Many others have used it also without problems and this is a first Ive heard of this problem on the ramps board. which leads me to believe the run of boards they are using are not genuine taurino reprapdiscount boards and using subpar parts or there's something with the design of the robo that's causing it... like the mounting upside down.

14. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

Ahh, didn't know you added a breaker. I didn't see any talk of that from other people though. Still wouldn't it just be easier/cheaper and still have the same out come to swap out that PTC fuse for one rated slightly higher? Or am I missing something???

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

my setup is different than stock. I did my mods for other reasons not related to this thread. You can see my mods in the forums. I was just giving an example of the way I wired up my ssr, but yes replacing it with a better fuse would be my choice too or even a circuit breaker that's not temperature sensitive.
    Even better... get that board the proper cooling it needs, mount it right side up and use a fan to keep the board from heating up too much. All the ramps boards come with a fan for a reason. It is to help keep the board cool..

16. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

I agree, the arduino being mounted upside down seems to cause a heat trap.

If you have a steady hand and are halfway decent at soldering, you could easily swap out the current polyswitch for the RGEF1400 which Hockey and others have suggested.

As I've said before, the relay switch I found for cheap at radio shack is working great. When the heat bed is set to 100 C it rarely turns off because its constantly in it's heat up mode trying to maintain that temp. Therefore it's almost never clicking. Meaning the relay switch is going to last a long time. This holds true only with bang bang control which has been the case for every single printer I have tried it on. It's interesting that some others have notice the rapid switching which you would get if you are using PID control.

Really thanks a lot for everyone's comments on this issue. It's all been very helpful. It seems to me that everyone has come up with good solutions. I'm glad we have more than one solution and that people are getting the help they need.

I will be working this coming week on trying to get the RGEF1400 implemented into the manufacturing of our control boards.

2 people like this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Jerry stock firmware has it as PID, if your advice on the relay is to switch to bang bang then you should add that to your OP or else people are going to be trying this approach with stock settings and killing them quickly.

Also if you're using bang bang then the polyswitch is probably good enough.

That polyswitch looks good though

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Jerry I tried both modes PID AND BANG BANG verified my bed is actually connected(though for a while the repaired solder connection had failed but it has not. 12V directly to the board through that wiring did make it heat up
    I also have it wired exactly per your images and my relay is clicking rapidly as can be heard in this video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kagt5gz05mrge1u/2013-11-25 17.24.26.mov

So with good connections to the PSU and to the ramps board and a rapid clicking relay what would the next steps be

The bed does not even begin to rise in temp any longer.

More importantly for those who are not steady handed what solution are they supposed to implement some may not have any soldering skills at all

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That could be a real possibility if the mode needed to be switched to BANG BANG immediately that could be the reason my relay no longer is allowing the heat bed to heat up currently my relay does the rapid click thing in either mode now.

20. Casey

Casey New Member

Ok, the heatsink is allowing the printer to work MUCH better than before. However, I still cant get it above 100C without it failing. I suspect it is a cohesion issue between the sink and the polyfuse. I did put some thermal paste on the sink, but the fuse isn't anywhere near an even surface. I think I will either replace the fuse with a heavier version, or swap it out for a 10A conventional fuse (or replace it with a breaker). It wont do much for thermal overload, but at least it will protect against a short.