1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am glad you guys are enjoying it, it is my pleasure. Although to be 100% honest, I did this for myself. Seeing all the deficiencies in Marlin 1.0.0 and the lack of firmware support from Robo3D (now RoboLabs) something needed to be done. I think with Marlin 1.1.0 we now have a machine that rivals many others that cost much more.

Now if I could get RoboLabs to send me an R2 I could maintain the firmware for that too. Make sure it is up-to-date with all the latest innovations coming from the Marlin developers.

Charles M Waldie 3, Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  2. ProfessorPinky

I have a R1 with 8mm threaded rods. My steps are 80, 80, 2560, 427(Titan extruder)
    After upgrading to either of the 9/30 releases, I had to reduce "Z Axis Movement Speed" to 3.4 mm/s from the previous or default of 16.7 mm/s. This is using Simplify3D. The motors make a buzzing sound and don't move.
    If I go back to ROBO version 3 and have 16.7 mm/s for Z Axis everything works like it should. Is this normal? Was the 16.7 mm/s too high in the first place?

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am using 1200 mm/min (20 mm/s) and have no issues. Perhaps your Z stepper driver is just at the margin of allowing motion and the increase in processing speed is causing the jitter. This would appear to me to be a hardware/electronics issue not a firmware one.

4. ProfessorPinky

But does this explain why when reverting back to ROBO R1 (Original) Firmware 3.0 and using 16.7 mm/s the buzzing is gone and the z axis moves as it should? Is the increase in processing speed you speak of due to the new firmware? Does it have less overhead somehow than the original firmware?

#724 ProfessorPinky, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I believe all the stepper driver routines have been optimized better, so they should be faster. Still think it is a hardware issue. I think you need to double-check the stepper driver settings. I used the 9/30 version and am currently using a version from 10/7 and 20mm/s does not do this on mine. Yours is the only report that this is happening.

If you feel I am not correct, then I suggest you open a ticket on the Marlin Github to report a bug.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

@ProfessorPinky have you verified your z steps when you installed version 9/30? I think you might be the first i heard using threaded rod instead of leadscrews with the new firmware.

7. ProfessorPinky

Z steps are 2560. My finished prints have been within 1 mm of what they are supposed to be. I am using "RCBF_MESH_8mm_9-30". I will make a video this evening of what is happening with the higher speed. More of what is happening is noise without movement.

8. danzca6

That sounds like a stepper driver adjustment possibly. Like @WheresWaldo mentioned, Marlin 1.0.0 that Robo based their firmware on is a big difference from 1.1.0. There might be enough efficiency changes in the code that could call out drivers that were at the very edge of powering the steppers correctly in earlier versions. I'd like to see the video just to make sure. I haven't used S3D hardly at all to know how it would force the speeds of Z to be any different. Sounds odd to me that the slicer would dictate that, but S3D does have a lot of options I am still learning.

9. ProfessorPinky

@WheresWaldo Are the stepper driver settings the Z-steps? If so then 2560 is what they are set at.
    I will try MatterControl this evening to see what happens there. I will also try the previous RC you put together on 9/15 I believe.
    I am not saying you are incorrect at all. What has me confused is why when using the same Simplify3D process and profile and reverting back to the original Robo firmware it does not happen. When using either 9/30 ABL or MESH with the same process and profile this happens. To make it not happen the only thing I change is reducing the Z Axis Movement Speed.
    I am not expecting you to fix anything with the firmware nor do I think anything is wrong with the firmware. I was thinking that I missed a setting that needed to be changed in the slicer settings when switching to the latest version of Marlin.
    I am not meaning to complain. If it is coming across that way, please accept my sincere apology.

10. danzca6

Brother Tom will teach you all about stepper drivers and how to adjust them.

11. danzca6

Just to be clear, you did issue the M502 and M500 after loading the new firmware? Just making sure all the new values were refreshed in the EEPROM.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No.
    Each axis (X, Y, Z) has a # of steps defined in the firmware for how to travel 1 mm

The stepper drivers are the electronic bits that actually make the stepper motors... well ... step.

13. ProfessorPinky

Thank you I was just about to start my search on how to adjust the stepper drivers. When I read @WheresWaldo reply about hardware issue I wrongly was assuming he meant broken hardware as opposed to adjusting the hardware.

Thank you both. I will make the adjustments this evening if time permits and will post the outcome when I have something resolved.

14. danzca6

ProfessorPinky and WheresWaldo like this.
  15. ProfessorPinky

I know I should have and I am fairly certain I did because when I sent G1 E100 something didn't seem right. The E steps were set back at 800 when my previously they were 427 for the Titan extruder.

16. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

Does Z-Offset work or do you have to use the G29 S4 Zn.nn command to adjust Z with MESH? I set the Z-Offset on the LCD but I don't see much change, if I babystep down about 0.09 mm the first layer is perfect though. Was hoping to change this in the offset so I can forget about babystepping every print.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@NateTheApe No MESH does not use the normal Z_Offset, it must be set with the G29 command, but if you store memory after issuing the command the offset is saved with the MESH measurements.

18. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

@WheresWaldo PERFECT! Thanks, I was thinking that a Z-Offset of -1.00 should have put the nozzle in the bed :p I'll run the G29 command when I get home and give it a shot. Really I should be able to babystep down to where I want the nozzle then run the G29 for the total babystepped correct?

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have never done it that way and I don't know if it will work. I adjust Z-Offset by printing a .25 mm 1 layer object then measuring it with calipers, that way I know how much to offset.

20. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

Ha! Yes that sounds much more precise than me guessing...well whipped out the calipers and the first layer looks awesome!

Rigmarol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.