1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

32 hour print

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aznhlfan, Oct 12, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I printing out a 7"x6" egg, it will take 32 hours to print. Will the Robo R1 Plus be able to print for 32 hours straight, without burning up?

sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Short answer...mine can so yes lol. Monitor your machine when printing

aznhlfan likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Short answer...mine can so yes lol. Monitor your machine when printing

aznhlfan likes this.
  4. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Monitor, like sit watching the machine for 32 hours?

5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I have to sleep and work, lol

6. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

This Tapatalk lag and no notification thing is getting on my nerves, lol

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol i run my long prints on days off. I dont run any of my machines when im out. I consider it not worth the risk.

The site is lagging very bad :(

aznhlfan likes this.
  8. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Got it, but I only have Sundays off. Can't never done a long print. I wish there was an app or someway to view my printer on my phone and remotely hit the kill switch if something went wrong

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Can I interest you in some raspberry pi and octoprint? With it you can watch your print from anywhere and send a kill if you notice an issue using your phone. I had an old Xbox live camera that easily worked with the pi. Now I can optionally send my print through octoprint and monitor from anywhere in the house or on the road. There are even ways to setup where you can turn off your printer remotely using octoprint.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1707063

Geof likes this.
  11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Some really enterprising folks have even set their Octopi up where it will periodically snap a photo (every hour or so, or whatever time frame you want, or you can send STATUS to it for an on-the-spot check) and send an SMS message with a snapshot to the phone number they put in when setting it up, and if you reply at any time with STOP it will cancel the print, home the X-axis and put the printer into Cooldown mode.

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  12. danzca6

ok now I have to see that man. Do you have a link to these enterprising folks?

aznhlfan likes this.
  13. daniel871

Someone did it in the Facebook group for the Monoprice printer I have. I'll dig around but it may have been lost in the Feed.

14. daniel871

aznhlfan likes this.
  15. danzca6

Awesome...thank you Daniel

16. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

As I said before, not a noon, but not technical when it comes to 3d printing. Is the pi and October print a separate board from the ramps board?

17. danzca6

The Raspberry Pi is a separate board from the RAMPS. It will actually plug into the ramps via USB. If you look at how the link to the thingiverse page has things hooked up it will make a bit more sense. Also watching Tom's video above will show that Octoprint is software that is installed onto the Raspberry Pi. The new Robo R2 and C2 have Raspberry Pi boards included already. That is how they are doing their custom touch screen and a lot of their wireless communication. Robo actually has a new app that should work with any printer hooked up with a Raspberry Pi that allows control over your smart phone or tablet. It is a lot to digest at first, but the more you read about it and start using it will help make sense. It's an option. Not the only option.

aznhlfan likes this.
  18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I regularly do overnight and all day prints.
    I have had failures where the hot nozzle is still in contact with the model mid-print.
    Aside from a slight smell of hot filament I have had zero issues with fire or smoke.
    I am almost convinced that you cannot set your model on fire with just the heat from a nozzle set to printing temps.

To test, I took a hand torch (not a flashlight you brits) and tried to set a scrap piece of a failed model on fire and it took a bit to make it flame up. It did not continue to burn when I took the flame off. Not scientific but gave me enough confidence to continue to print at night and while at work.

19. danzca6

Hot nozzle and plastic isn't the only components at play. What if a bad short happens and something starts burning from an electrical side of things? Or what if thing jam up and instead of wasting electricity with printing in the air you want to just abort the print? What if the part detaches from the build plate? All sorts of reasons you might want to abort a print. Just saying, my personal preference, is to have a way to monitor and abort a print if I am not at the printer.

aznhlfan likes this.
  20. daniel871

This kind of thing is really only a problem for the morons people that put their printers in bedrooms or closets that have combustible materials nearby.

If you have an actual shop, or even just a room large enough to set the printer up away from the walls and on a steel table, most of the scenarios where the printer self-destructs won't damage anything else in the house.

Rigmarol likes this.