1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z axis doesn't stop when raised with LCD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys need some advice on an issue I am having.

Primary issue is that if I try and raise the extruder with the Full Graphic Controller LCD, it doesn't stop where it is supposed to. It will auto home if I select that. Then if I turn the knob to 160, it tries to go off the rails and I have to shut off the power. If I go to 150 - it goes almost al the way to the top but stops. So it's almost as if it's lost. A couple of specifics:
    - Robo R1+ with full graphic controller
    - I have tried M502 and M500 already
    - G28 (home) and then G1 Z(value) works fine. So if I enter 160 for the value and send the command via S3D - it stops at 160 as it is supposed to.
    - The auto home on the LCD works fine.

Thanks!

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Another bit for reference. He does have the proper z steps of 800.

Toro have you tried the same steps with your son's Robo with full graphics LCD yet? Corps if this an issue with the LCD.

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not yet. Going to do that this evening. Also have to screw around with the bed leveling as it got messed up yesterday. Now that I think of it - I don't feel so bad about the print head crashing into the bed because I KNOW I didn't do that. I actually lowered it down to 50 on the dial and it kept going. All the way into the bed.....

So there is definitely an issue with the LCD referencing. I am also going to try to reload the original firmware for grins just in case I accidentally changed some values I shouldn't have.

4. janot928

janot928 Active Member

i've also had a few problems with my LCD but it was more random errors that recursives ones

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well it's not the LCD. I tried my sons and it works fine on his but not on mine. Reflashing firmware with an older version now.

6. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

OK - I have no idea what the problem is. I tried reloading the firmware and thought that did it, and it worked for a try or two, and then what - same crap. And even when it seems to stop at the right location (let's say 165). When I go right back into move it a little higher (175 or so) it just keeps on going - almost as if it is confused again. Any thoughts?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a new one on me. Contact the manufacturer and ask ? I haven't had time to swap to a full graphics. I wouldn't think it would matter much though since the slicer won't allow you to slice a model over your designated build deminsions :)

8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Oh it definitely matters Geof. It's the reason my print head crashed into my bed yesterday. I used the LCD controller to bring it down to about 30 and it kept going. My son's works fine on his robo but it has same symptoms on mine. Which tells me it's obviously machine specific to mine. Aggravating because I can't really move the axis the way I want manually because it might not stop.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ah gotya. Duh! Lol. Swap controllers with the other printer does the problem follow? Seems like a bad controller.

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Other controller works on my son's but not on mine - which leads me to believe the issue is with my setup/robo somehow.

I have flashed back to nearly the original firmware (only esteps were changed) with same issue. It's almost as if it's intermittent. I don't get it. Nothing is loose, everything is seated, and LCD is responsive - so I think wiring is good.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

R1+ or R1?

12. janot928

janot928 Active Member

stupid question, if you connect your computer directly via USB does it do the same ?

13. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Ri+ Geof.
    Janot - not a stupid question at all. I'll have to confirm - of course if it works, that does defeat the whole purpose of having an independent LCD. But I definitely to check because that might certainly rule out something.

I do know that it does work when I enter the Gcodes in S3D.

14. janot928

janot928 Active Member

then we know that the problem comes from the lcd. Another dumb question, have you checked the cables/ pins on the ramps and LCD ?