1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Linear bearings for X axis carriage

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by cbnlnk121, Oct 26, 2016.

1. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

Hey all, I was printing last night and in the middle of it the bearings fell out of the X axis carriage. I've been using a PTFE based oil on the rods and various parts. I've now been reading that I should be using a grease for the bearings.

Anyway, since I got this R1 beta second hand, I've been upgrading and replacing parts various parts. Should I just replace the bearings with new LM8UU?

Anyone change out the 2 per side of the X axis carrier with the LM8LUU versions? Seems like a no brainer to me to have 2 bearings instead of 4.

Thoughts?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If the bearing fell out, I'd say you need a new carriage, more than likely the tolerances are to loose. Luckily this is a printable item, superglue that bearing back in and print a new carriage then press in new bearings and swap it out (one of many options).

I have not used LM8LUU bearings but as long as both sides of the carriage were supported with 1 bearing I'd suppose that would work out. LM8UU bearings are cheap, the "upgrade" would be found in the mods section. search x axis alternative post by @WheresWaldo

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If use some tape around the bearing instead of super glue if it is still not tight when you put it back. Even printing a new cartridge can introduce tolerance differences that require you to sand out our tape. The UI versions should work fine if you want to try. Like Geof said, they are all cheap. The bronze bushing upgrade is a bit expensive compared to the stock bearings.

4. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

Sounds good. Thanks guys.
    Any thoughts on grease or oil on them?

5. danzca6

I use a light 3in1 machine oil. Some recommend a thick grease. I heard from an experienced machinist that the light oil is best, so I have stuck with that. Also what I do with bearings is to run them through my ultrasonic cleaner to get any grit out of them before I lube them up and install. Dirt is not a bearings friend.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use 3 in 1 oil for everything on all my printers. Some are a fan of something like white lithium for the leadscrews/threaded rods

7. danzca6

Yeah I found that could add some resistance. Back in the battle of z wobble, adding a thick grease to my threaded rods made it worse. So I wiped it clean and put 3in1. Never used anything else since. YMMV of course.

8. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing this week. Pulling out the bearings and cleaning and re-lubing them. Maybe it's time for a full cleaning first.

Once again, you are all the best. Thanks

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In all fairness to whichever lubricant you used, the stock bearings are not high quality.
    If you must replace them get better ones. I swapped all of mine out early on with decent bearings and no problems since.

Geof likes this.
  10. danzca6

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

12. danzca6

@KTMDirtFace that's good stuff. I have a bottle of that recommended to me by another forum member. It's great.